Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Best Lens for Boxing Match

Any opinions on the best zoom lens to use for ring side boxing coverage?

03-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Papa Lazarou's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 340
I suppose it all depends on the venue and how far away you'll be seated?
Which lenses do you have?
03-01-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 40,135
QuoteOriginally posted by PUC Quote
Best Lens for Boxing Match
Also one that's classified as BR instead of WR would be useful.

Oh by the way... the B stands for Blood.
03-01-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,974
Ringside implies you'll be front row seats or closer, no? So wide-short tele, and as fast as you can go. Maybe use manual focus with the aperture set high enough to get depth of field that includes one half of the ring, so you don't have to mess around with autofocus, and just a little tweak to focus will get you from one side to the other if they move much.

But that's just guessing. I've never even been to a boxing match, let alone photographed one.

03-01-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,750
As others have said already ... it depends:-)
Here is what I would do: If it is a small venue and you are really close I'd take my Tokina 2.8/28-70 zoom.
With a little more distance my Sigma 2.8/50-150 would be a better choice.
But it depends on what you want to cover (the complete ring with athlets and referee or more close ups etc.).
You also might want to select manual focus. With the speedy action AF is easily confused by the ropes ...
Have fun and please share some results!
03-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 194
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS would do the trick if you are looking for tight shots of the sparring boxers. The lens focuses faster than the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 and is just as sharp or sharper.
03-01-2015, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,677
Go back to basics

Subject size = image size x focal length / distance

The subject is anything from 2 meters tall to just a head shot at about .3 meters
The image is either 0.016 meters (landscape format) or 0.024 meters (portrait format).


So where are you sitting ?

Look at this distance to both the near and far side of the ring, and work out the focal length.

The formula gets rearranged to be

Focal length = image size x distance / subject size
Note that just for the range of possible subjects, the focal length to distance ratio can be 0.08 :1 to 0.008 : 1
03-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
JimD's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport, South Wales
Posts: 172
QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS would do the trick if you are looking for tight shots of the sparring boxers. The lens focuses faster than the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 and is just as sharp or sharper.




That would also be my choice

03-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
PUC
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I got access to ringside with the press photographers at a pro boxing match.
I used my Pentax 18-135 /3.5 lens which I found out wasn't quite fast enough and prompted my question, what's the best lens for shooting boxing from ringside.
After reviewing my pictures, reading your comments, and doing a little research of my own here's what I've come up with.
I going to continue shooting with my K3
I'm going to try my 50mm f/1.4 lens for the next match and buy a Pentax 50-135 /2.8 (there's a lot of pros and cons regarding this lens on the web but I like the fact that its a bit ruggedized and weather sealed. And, it can maintain f/2.8 50-135mm if I need it). Because of the APS-C sensor crop factor, the 50-135mm is equal to a 75-202mm lens which may be too long for a boxing ring. But it's the shortest Pentax zoom at f/2.8. So, my 50mm (75mm) may be my best bet.
I'm also going to set my AF to "C" and try shooting in 3 shot bursts to see how that works for me.
I attached one of the photos from the fight


Thanks again,
Attached Images
 
03-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,974
The 16-50 is 2.8 and of comparable build quality to the 50-135. There's also a 28-70 in the FA series. And third party lens makers like Sigma and Tamron have 16/17-50ish 2.8 lenses as well as 24/28-70/75 2.8 lenses.

The 50-135 is a wonderful lens, but probably too long for that use. That close, I'd think something in the 24/28-70/75 range would be ideal. If you go wide enough and use a smaller aperture, you can just prefocus and have zero delay for focusing. You can crank the ISO up to get the shutter speed you need, if you can't use a flash. It's a lot better to have a great shot with some noise than a noise-free shot with motion blur or missed focus.
03-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member
peterjcb's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 468
think out of the box and take something really wide to get a different perspective...something like the DA15 or the 10-17 Fisheye
I'd also bring the FA77
03-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,974
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
think out of the box and take something really wide to get a different perspective...something like the DA15 or the 10-17 Fisheye
I'd also bring the FA77
A sigma 10mm sitting on the edge of the ring and tilted slightly up would be pretty cool, if the boxers were up close. Or an 8mm fisheye - you'd get the boxers up close, and show the whole arena behind them
03-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
PUC
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions
Lots of great info
03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by PUC Quote
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I got access to ringside with the press photographers at a pro boxing match.
I used my Pentax 18-135 /3.5 lens which I found out wasn't quite fast enough and prompted my question, what's the best lens for shooting boxing from ringside.
After reviewing my pictures, reading your comments, and doing a little research of my own here's what I've come up with.
I going to continue shooting with my K3
I'm going to try my 50mm f/1.4 lens for the next match and buy a Pentax 50-135 /2.8 (there's a lot of pros and cons regarding this lens on the web but I like the fact that its a bit ruggedized and weather sealed. And, it can maintain f/2.8 50-135mm if I need it). Because of the APS-C sensor crop factor, the 50-135mm is equal to a 75-202mm lens which may be too long for a boxing ring. But it's the shortest Pentax zoom at f/2.8. So, my 50mm (75mm) may be my best bet.
I'm also going to set my AF to "C" and try shooting in 3 shot bursts to see how that works for me.
I attached one of the photos from the fight


Thanks again,
Just to say: 50-135 AF is quite slow and a bit difficult for action shoots. It might not be the best lense for the job.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
boxing, boxing match, dslr, k-3, k3, lens, pentax k-3, zoom lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An impossible ask? Best lens/lens combo for new K-30 user JPE Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 26 09-23-2013 05:57 PM
Best lens for portrait Leonski, Macedonia Visitors' Center 7 08-06-2013 03:31 PM
best lens for Autocross Jane Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 31 03-15-2013 02:09 PM
Tips for taking boxing pictures with KX whatamiat Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 03-22-2011 05:19 PM
K-x for boxing photography whatamiat Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 11-30-2010 02:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top