Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Better to cry once when you buy it, then every time you take a photo.

06-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Faced with the same dilemma I bought a DA16-45 instead and bought a FA43LTD with the rest of the money. Works for me.
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to Helen from Adorama & Henry from B&H Photo for replying. It is some comfort to now better understand the process around a returned lens from their point of view.

However, the question now passes back down the line to Pentax. What do they do with a returned lens? Is it simply re-packaged and then sent off to a different part of the planet? or is it genuinely corrected or disposed of?

I think Pentax owe us an explanation of the process they undertake to instil a little confidence in the their product.

Over to you Pentax.

Cheers.
06-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Thanks to Helen from Adorama & Henry from B&H Photo for replying. It is some comfort to now better understand the process around a returned lens from their point of view.

However, the question now passes back down the line to Pentax. What do they do with a returned lens? Is it simply re-packaged and then sent off to a different part of the planet? or is it genuinely corrected or disposed of?

I think Pentax owe us an explanation of the process they undertake to instil a little confidence in the their product.

Over to you Pentax.

Cheers.
There is a very old salesman's joke that applies here. The customers says, Gee I have to go home and think about it, I'll be back. The salesman says, well when you come back make sure you ask for Mr. Blue because I'm going to hold my breath until you come back and that's what color I'll be.

Ken

06-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Why? Since when does companies owe people to tell them about their internal affairs and proceedings?
06-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
Forum Member

I've got a 16-50 and I love it.

I also had the luxury of going into a local shop that I trust and trying out both the one they had in display and one of the boxed ones. Both seemed to be good to me, went with the boxed one, took a couple thousand pics the weekend after... still happy over here.

Though it must be said that even with a good copy, the Sigma is tempting because of the near macro... but hey, that's what I've got the 24mm 1.8 for.
06-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Why? Since when does companies owe people to tell them about their internal affairs and proceedings?
Because they obviously have a problem with one of their products that has become very public and very well documented. Would it not then be smart to address that issue with your loyal client base?....who in turn go on to be valuable ambassadors for a product that they have confidence in.

But I recognise I will turning blue as Ken suggests.

Cheers

06-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Dear Grant

At Adorama, we get all our merchandise directly from the manufacturer and ship it out the same way we receive it. Any item returned to us by a customer gets returned to manufacturer for new replacement.

If you have any other concerns or queries, please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Ambassador
Hi Helen:

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really accomplish much if Pentax just reboxes the marginal returned lenses (apart from the truly defective ones) and sends them back to you.
06-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Here's my vote: ---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/25085-photos-happy-16-50-buyers.html

06-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

(no PP)
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Wow sherman, have you ever taken a bad picture? That one is fantastic. No PP, so it is not HDR right?
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #27

Da*16-50

I went through 3 units before i got a good one or atleast so far. the problems i had were all focus issues. the 3rd lens i got was much quieter than the previous 2. the lens is fantastic when you get a good one. IMO its worth the headache's. i really like this lens i have the da* 50-135 and the da*200 im looking at the da*300 it didnt favor as well as the 200 according to the reviews.....ive played with the 300 and got 20 or 30 shots with it. im still not convinced yet. Im headed to mexico this week myan riveria and i'll post some shots from the 16-50......

Rick
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Wow sherman, have you ever taken a bad picture? That one is fantastic. No PP, so it is not HDR right?
No, no PP, and no HDR. It was very bright out, sky was deep blue, the rock colors in that part of Utah are incredible - makes for a good natural image. It was jpeg, and I had it set to 'bright', I believe.

A good copy of the 16-50 is wonderful, but I sympathize with anyone wary of the potential buy/test/return cycle.

More from the same trip ---> 16-50 in drive home through the rockies

06-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
No, no PP, and no HDR. It was very bright out, sky was deep blue, the rock colors in that part of Utah are incredible - makes for a good natural image. It was jpeg, and I had it set to 'bright', I believe.

Next time someone shows me one of those typical HDR "video game graphics" shots, I am going to direct them to your picture to show that you don't need the HDR gimmick to get that level of contrast and color. You just need good photographic skills.

(Sorry for the hijack OP)
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Next time someone shows me one of those typical HDR "video game graphics" shots, I am going to direct them to your picture to show that you don't need the HDR gimmick to get that level of contrast and color. You just need good photographic skills.

(Sorry for the hijack OP)

Or in my case, get lucky with perfect natural lighting at the perfect time of day in the perfect location!

OK, back to regularly scheduled thread. Get the DA* 16-50! Think of it as a quest!