Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Pentaxnut & jsherman,
appreciate the input guys (& the understanding) I really want this lens (in fact the whole DA* series... over time).

So shots like this only make me a little more determined to get one.

Does anyone know what % has been returned? I wonder if the Adorama or B&H people would keep any statistics on returns? As with anything like this the bad news always travels faster and further than the good.

06-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
OK, back to regularly scheduled thread. Get the DA* 16-50! Think of it as a quest!
Hehe, my quest tracking page says that the quest trail starts in SECAUCUS, NJ, US, today and will end in San Antonio, TX, US tomorrow.
I am usually all against "i bought XYZ, so excited!" threads, but i couldn't help and be all excited, if the weather is anything like today, i WILL sneak out and try the lens instead of cleaning as i should.

Mallee: i guess you could ask Helen and Henry if they do specials like opening+testing for international orders? I trust they have someone in the house who could at least make sure you don't end up with decentered elements like PentaxPoke?
06-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Adorama Rant
I stopped by at Adorama and asked to check the DA*16-50 and the Sigma 17-70 / 17-50EX but they were not cooperative. I understand they are busy all the time, but if I am buying a $400+ lens with a bad rep, I should be able to test them out and decide on the spot.

Anyhow, I never tried B&H but I think they are more helpful in this aspect. I'll stop by and check all four lenses (they have the Tamron 17-50 as well) and decide then what to do.

Later

BB
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

http://www.zerorealm.org/16-50-8.jpg

whatever i get at least it's even frame to frame, if anything, i get FF with this lens, the same as i do with the 40/2.8 so i will try mild amount of AF adjust to see if i can get better focus rate w/o increasing BF on close ups (where focus seems to be better than at infinity)

06-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #35
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Thanks to Helen from Adorama & Henry from B&H Photo for replying. It is some comfort to now better understand the process around a returned lens from their point of view.
Glad to help.

QuoteQuote:
However, the question now passes back down the line to Pentax. What do they do with a returned lens? Is it simply re-packaged and then sent off to a different part of the planet? or is it genuinely corrected or disposed of?
While I do not have first-hand knowledge regarding Pentax specifically, my presumption is the ones which can be repaired and brought up to spec are repaired and then offered to retailers as "factory-refurb" items. We periodically get refurb products from various manufacturers and sell them exclusively through our Used Dept to distinguish them from new.
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I just got an email today from B&H that said you can only get the DA* 16-50 from them on special order. Hopefully this wont become a trend with other Pentax gear. Almost all the Pentax gear in my signature line was bought at B&H.
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Image Gallery: ctg (33)

I think Helen won't have to worry about this 16-50 being returned to Adorama any time soon.
Although the fresh out of the box shots at an AF adjustment freshly zeroed out last night looked bad (again plenty FF), it shaped up at -4 and above link was all taken at -5, even though it was windy and all is hand held, i
think -6 might be worth a try.

Handholding it in front of my house and apparently not doing that perpendicular to the front of the house, with cam grossly front focusing, i could have fooled myself into thinking it is decentered, i found it much better at -4
already. The light was too different to check it once more with -5 and -6 today, and to get the same light again it'l be this weekend.
That said, i don't think the lens will win prices at 16/2.8 (unless i am still front focusing, which some shots made me think i may be)

All in all what i get from the lens, i am glad i bought it.
Using the lens the way i would be using it, it looks great i think.

If you haven't gotten another lens yet, I'd vote to try it.

PentaxPoke: Interesting, it was hard to find it anywhere, Adorama had it, Amazon didn't, so i left Prime alone and spent the $$ for shipping at Adorama
06-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I just got an email today from B&H that said you can only get the DA* 16-50 from them on special order. Hopefully this wont become a trend with other Pentax gear. Almost all the Pentax gear in my signature line was bought at B&H.
So they wont have it in stock?

I was planning to stop buy and check this lens and a few others...

06-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #39
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
So they wont have it in stock?
I was planning to stop buy and check this lens and a few others...
We WILL, but temporarily there are some availability issues to be worked out with Pentax USA.
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
We WILL, but temporarily there are some availability issues to be worked out with Pentax USA.
Thanks for responding Henry,

That is a relief. Just about my whole kit is B&H, and I always get such quick turnaround on my orders. I am happy to know that I will still be able to get Pentax gear quickly there.