Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Tokina AT-X 100-300/4

Okay, I shouldn't post before I have something to say and I know better than to be excited about a lens that I bought on eBay and haven't inspected yet, but....

I picked up an AT-X 100-300/f4 (with the A contacts) on eBay for $175 shipped to me. It looks perfect, comes with case and original caps and a message about how it's been stored since it's days of film glory.

I have had two Tokina zooms in this range and have been really happy with both. The first was an AT-X 50-250 that I bought for about $40 and it shocked me how good it was. I picked up an RMC 100-300/5.6 for about the same price(ish) that wasn't quite as good, but it was really close and handled a little better, plus gave me the extra 50mm on the long end, so I sold the AT-X locally.

I've had my eye on the AT-X 100-300/f4 for a while, but have been waiting for the right copy at the right price and hopefully this one won't let me down. It's going to be a lot less compact, but I know that I will enjoy that extra stop for wildlife and baseball games and things that I have this lens for. I did feel that the other AT-X lens I had was a bit better than the RMC and hopefully this one will be too. More money invested in this one, but it's still a bargain for a constant aperture f4 lens that goes to 300mm. Some of your photos and reviews inspired me. I will post my own impressions when I get it.

Last edited by troika; 03-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
03-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice pick up. I got one last year from KEH without the A contact and love it. To that is a heck of a lens in that condition for that money
Enjoy
03-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
Very nice pick up. I got one last year from KEH without the A contact and love it.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
To that is a heck of a lens in that condition for that money
Enjoy
Hopefully, I'm trying not to jinx myself, I've had good luck with eBay, but there have been a few bad surprises.
03-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AT-X 50-250

troika,

I picked up a Tokina AT-X 50-250 mm on eBay for about $20 (shipped!) and was also shocked at it's sharpness. This is a very under-rated lens.

03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Okay, I shouldn't post before I have something to say and I know better than to be excited about a lens that I bought on eBay and haven't inspected yet, but....

I picked up an AT-X 100-300/f4 (with the A contacts) on eBay for $175 shipped to me. It looks perfect, comes with case and original caps and a message about how it's been stored since it's days of film glory.

I have had two Tokina zooms in this range and have been really happy with both. The first was an AT-X 50-250 that I bought for about $40 and it shocked me how good it was. I picked up an RMC 100-300/5.6 for about the same price(ish) that wasn't quite as good, but it was really close and handled a little better, plus gave me the extra 50mm on the long end, so I sold the AT-X locally.

I've had my eye on the AT-X 100-300/f4 for a while, but have been waiting for the right copy at the right price and hopefully this one won't let me down. It's going to be a lot less compact, but I know that I will enjoy that extra stop for wildlife and baseball games and things that I have this lens for. I did feel that the other AT-X lens I had was a bit better than the RMC and hopefully this one will be too. More money invested in this one, but it's still a bargain for a constant aperture f4 lens that goes to 300mm. Some of your photos and reviews inspired me. I will post my own impressions when I get it.
so you're the one that bought it!!!! I went to eat and it was gone. Enjoy the lens.
03-03-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ckbboy Quote
troika,

I picked up a Tokina AT-X 50-250 mm on eBay for about $20 (shipped!) and was also shocked at it's sharpness. This is a very under-rated lens.
Samesies! I bought mine in a local shop for not much thinking, "fine until...". Fantastic lens. Best Macro of zoom in history, that I'm aware of. Almost 1:1 at 50mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by kxjiru Quote
so you're the one that bought it!!!! I went to eat and it was gone. Enjoy the lens.
That's happened to me so many times. I started to walk away and think about it, but knew one of you guys had to be right behind me and I'd been looking for that deal for a year, so I just pulled the trigger.

Hopefully, it's in shape that it claims to be in and it holds up to my expectations. I'll post when I've got it.
03-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lens arrived today and it looks and feels great. It's bigger than my 100-300/5.6 RMC, but I knew it would be. Doesn't feel uncomfortable or imbalance. The A setting is nice, it's a little tighter/smoother feeling. I'm pretty happy with it. Took a few uninteresting photos at dusk, but will give it a workout in the morning.

03-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few snapshots and impressions from this morning. It's large, but really not unwieldy. I might actually get away with slower handheld shutter speeds with the smaller 5.6 lens, because it's easier to hold still, but not a big deal to carry around. I may look into a monopod for things like baseball games. It's in great shape and the ergonomics of it are very nice, clearly a pro-targeted lens. I don't really miss the automatic aperture when I don't have it, but man it's nice when I do. I can imagine how much more likely I am to get the shot with some automatic exposure tuning as I focus, especially with moving subjects. All of these were shot in Tav mode, adjusting for aperture and keeping shutter speed in the 1/250 - 1/500 range. All handheld, walking around the neighborhood. Nothing photographically special.

This lens didn't come with a hood and it desperately needs one, the 77mm front element is just sticking out there in the wind... I expect better contrast once I get a hood on it. I ordered a metal screw-in type on Amazon last night.

Some of these shots didn't expose especially well. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I didn't do a lot to these, generally crop, straighten and correct exposure. For what I wanted, for what I paid, I'm happy with my purchase.

And finally my favorite model. I don't why her paw is up. (her collar is on, so I think it should be safe for work)

03-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had a little golden hour walk around the neighborhood tonight. In sunlight, contrast goes out the window. I expect the hood to help with that somewhat. Otherwise, this is going to be a nice lens for me.

All handheld in Tav mode.

I cropped this, but didn't do anything else to it. 300mm @ f5.6

Sharp center focus and bokah wide open to f4

And a really uninteresting shot with a longish zoom lens. 300mm - f4.5 - 1/500th second - ISO 4500
I don't know why I cropped out the license plate and street sign...I think that's a thing, right?
03-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
The lens arrived today and it looks and feels great.
This is a fantastic lens. Very sharp and a lot of fun to use. $175 is a good price. I paid $240 but it included the metal screw on hood and case. I sold mine because I ended up purchasing the Pentax F*300 which is a better lens, but honestly the Tokina is no slouch. Here's a picture of a bird in flight. The manual focus is a breeze to use.

If you want an inexpensive 100-300 zoom with Great IQ for cheap. This is the lens!

03-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice pelican photo! Thanks.

Mine came with the case and I have an aftermarket hood in route. I'm happy with my purchase and it's a good time of year for me to have a new long lens. I promise to overwhelm you all with average photos!