Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
....I still shop there, however I think their prices on older used lenses seem to be creeping higher......
Is it just what I happened to look at lately, or have Ebay "sold" prices on older manual lenses been creeping up too?

02-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #17

KEH IS slipping.

I have purchased many items from KEH over the last 20 years. All have been very happy occasions, except lately. In the past, I tended to gravitate to their "Bargain" rated items because I always found them to be much better than expected. A Fuji 645Zi comes to mind which looked almost new.

My most recent item is a Mamiya 645AFD body rated Ex+. As soon as it arrived, I took the caps off and to my surprise found the focusing screen trapped between the mirror and the lens mount. The screen is scratched beyond use. There was also a strange piece of clear plastic with a frame line painted on it, apparently sandwiched with the focusing screen. Don't know what this is but it is not a normal part of the camera.

This camera raises the mirror and opens the shutter whenever a film back is removed, this is a safety feature. So, how could the focusing screen frame open with the mirror up?

There were also some quite noticeable "gouges" in the prism cover (a cast metal part) which had been "retouched" with a black marker. The flash sync and remote ports were missing their covers.

Definitely not Ex+.

Fortunately, I do camera repair and had the spare parts to bring everything up to Ex+ condition.

I will probably buy from KEH in the future but be very cautious about what I trust them with.
02-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Yes, they've definitely become more lax and their previously-touted "conservative" ratings are no longer a reality. But they do still do returns with no questions asked (and pay for shipping), but you are more likely than before to get a dud. I think this is because of ownership change, which is a few years ago at this point...
02-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rpeters Quote
Fortunately, I do camera repair and had the spare parts to bring everything up to Ex+ condition.
You might have also simply called them. My experience for items being not as described has been a full refund with shipping both ways covered.

Steve

02-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine too. So far all my purchases have been as described or better.

I recently mistakenly ordered a lens. They were happy to take it back and refund my money within 14 days.

The only thing I don't like is the new website.
02-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only issues I've ever had with KEH was order mix-ups years ago, when I was buying many lens hoods. Example; I'd order the 52mm plastic hood for a K85/1.8 and would get the 49mm M85/2 one. KEH always refunded my money and let me keep the incorrect lens hood, which I sold on eBay! This happened a few times but finally stopped, so I'm assuming the person filling the orders got canned.

My last order with KEH was for a Takumar 6x7 600/4 lens with mental trunk, it was listed as EXC condition. Turned out the lens was more like EXC+ or EXC++, but the trunk had a few rivets & feet missing and a torn interior. The trunk was easily fixed by a luggage repair shop for $30.00 and most importantly the lens was in perfect working order and in way better condition than I thought it would be.

I guess it all depends on who at KEH you are dealing with.

Phil.
02-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #22

I recently ordered a lens and then cancelled the order before it shipped. I personally am of the opinion that an item cannot be described as like new when it's missing original components, such as the lens caps.

I have friends who vouch for KEH, but I was pretty disenfranchised by my dealings with them even if the outcome was satisfactory.