Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
testing a 135m SMC M on my K-3

After returning the DA 18-135 WR and waiting for the new lenses to arrive for my new K-3, I am left with a vintage SMC M 135mm for which I'd like your opinion about the IQ and sharpness.

I used the 135mm a lot on my old MX and I while I am waiting for my dad to ship it to me from Italy I decided to get another copy on eBay as the price was ridiculously good. Surprise surprise, there is fungus in both the front and the rear lens so I wanted to test it throughly before throwing it away.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_sGvIem_3Qmfk9hQ2k3b3JwaEExWldzRWdy...UU&usp=sharing

This is a set of shots taken from f3.5 to f9.5. As you can see, the sharpness at 6.7 is disgustingly bad.
I named the files according to the f-stop. You need to zoom all the way in using the slider at the top right corner of the screen to enlarge to 100% on Google Docs viewer.
The shots are straight from the camera with no post production at all.

Since I received my new K-3, 2 weeks ago, I have been experimenting with the camera, with the 18-135, with Light Room (and others), speed lights, etc. This is another set of experimental pictures taken with the M-135 above: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_sGvIem_3QmfndLWTB6WmN1NE1wTXI5U0ll...ms&usp=sharing

Should I keep this lens or... trash it?
Do you have suggestions about how to test this lens to see how much the mold is effecting the picture?

I am falling in love with this camera, really. Soon I will shoot some video as well. I have a photo/video project coming soon so I need to learn the K-3 as fast as I can.

Thanks!

03-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
Should I keep this lens or... trash it?
I actually like this lens a lot. built in sunhood and at least my copy is sharp with nice rendering.
Just take it outside for some testshots.

the one thing: fungus: not sure but couldn't that be contaminating your other lenses?
03-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I liked M135 on my mirrorless cameras due to the size and also the IQ for the price.