Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 10-20mm lens and I am happy with it when I use it. The "when" is infrequently (or, rarely). A quick analysis of my image files prove that I use 90-105mm range (in FF terms) a lot more frequently.
I have sold my Sigma 70-300mm for the same reason: I was using it (the >200mm part) too infrequently.
This is really a special/specialty lens with an affordable price.
Buy it if you find yourself using the widest end of your zoom frequently and you complain about lack of a wider coverage. You can also buy it to show that you can adjust your shooting style according to the lens in your hands! Challenging huh?

06-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Hi gkopeliadis

Re PFH's suggestion:

QuoteQuote:
I would personally wait and see what the new Tamron 10-24 is up to.
No offence, but Hell will probably have frozen 'twice over' before that lens hits the shelves of the dealerships, but right here, right now the Sigma 10-20mm is undoubtedly the best value rectilinear wide-zoom on the market, so FWIW I'd go for it anyway !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-02-2008 at 01:03 PM.
06-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Is there anyone to avert me from buying it?
Not me.

Bought one recently. Most of these were taken with it...
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I put the 10-20 on my camera in the shop and tried some interior, some outside walls, neighboring buildings and city horizons which proved to me for my intended purposes that this lens would be more effort to correct in pp than it was worth. Big vignette and distortion on this guy - maybe not so much his fault as that of such an extreme focal range.
It's called "perspective distortion". You have it to some degree in even the kit lens at 18mm. Try a relatively close photo w/ something near the edges and you'll see it distort weirdly.
It's not the same thing as barrel distortion and is why some people love the 10-20. I'm still on the learning curve and found it really frustrating initially but it works great for landscapes and architecture if you position it correctly...

06-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Hi kenyee

You summed up my thoughts wonderfully about the Sigma 10-20mm rectilinear, when you said:

QuoteQuote:
I'm still on the learning curve and found it really frustrating initially, but it works great for landscapes and architecture if you position it correctly...
It's true that as the saying goes, 'practice makes perfect', so just take the time to learn the characteristics of each lens you obtain and then use your acquired expertise accordingly.

Best regards
Richard
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
Forum Member

This thread has a strange effect. gkopeliadis requested that we talk him out of buying the 10-20 lens. However, now it seems that I want this lens quite badly .
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi PaulF

Oh OH.........

QuoteQuote:
Now it seems that I want this lens quite badly
That's a pretty slippery slope you're about to slide down........If I were you, I'd grip that handrail pretty firmly......
What's that, oh no, you're losing your footing......aaarrgghhhh........it's too late, it's too late.......whoooooosshhhh......

Best regards
Richard

06-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Oh OH.........

That's a pretty slippery slope you're about to slide down........If I were you, I'd grip that handrail pretty firmly......
What's that, oh no, you're losing your footing......aaarrgghhhh........it's too late, it's too late.......whoooooosshhhh......
*BUMP* right into the LBA-pool.
Now there is no turning back
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
If you buy the 10-20 then this will upset the natural order of things and cause a rift in the time space continuum. This resulting tear will result in apocalyptic events which will mean the end of mankind as we know it, but on the bright side you will be able to capture panoramic views of these catastrophic events.

It's a well known fact that owners of the 'Limited' series lenses survive such events, shielded by the glow of optical demigod-ness.

Anyway, Ben has an offer there that you can't refuse. And I bet that owning a Holga will cure you of LBA forever - kinda like aversion therapy.

06-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Great lens for the FOV but it isn't perfect. Noticeable moustache distortion present which can be hard to correct during PP, and it will vignette when using certain filters at the widest focal length. Other than that, there's no other rectilinear wide-angle for Pentax mount that can go wider.
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have had poor luck with Sigmas. Have a 50-200 apo ( white pro lens) that broke about 6 months after warranty. Sent it to Sigma. Wouldn't fix it even if I paid for it! Said zoom lock knob couldn't be fixed. Couldn't beleive it.
Have a Sigma 28-70 2.8 constant aperture (for EOS). Af doesn't work. Makes a grinding sound when focusing manually. Two expensive lenses neither work correctly. Could really use a bigma but can't convince myself to try a third expensive lens from them.
The Pentax 12-24 would be on my list. Better quality and it could be repaired (doubt it would need it). The Tamron would be fine too.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Less than a week to go.
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #27

Hmm why not purchase it? Objects are much closer than they appear so if you're clumsy you could end up colliding with subjects.
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
I mean it
I'm about to order a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC.
I've red a lot about ultra wide lens (not fisheyes) on the net and I decided to buy the above mentioned lens (fine analysis and reasonably low CA and PF).
Is there anyone to avert me from buying it?

EDIT: What Am I asking in the LBAs lair !
The only valid reason for not getting the 10-20mm, but opting for the sigma 12-24mm would be if you ever intend to use a film body again, or are one of the fanatics that believes that pentax will go to full frame.

I use the 10-20 so often when travelling, because I find if I am touring a city, you can never have a wide enough lens. I used one of the EXIF data analysis tools and checked my 2007 shooting habbits. 20% of all my shots were take between 10 and 20mm (is that justification enough?)

and 12% of all my shots were taken at 10mm. That translates into over 1500 shots in the year taken at 10mm.

This year I expect will be similar.
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Personally, if you are just using it for casual pictures and don't mind the softness on the sides, and like the price go for it.

If you need a more professional image then go for the pentax or sigma 12-24.

Just see what are your needs and applications.
06-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

the sigma's softeness in the corners can either be a hinderance if you are a pure landscape photographer where you are trying to achieve a "flat" image

otherwise its pointless mentioning this fact since objects become so severly stretched in the corners that it hardly matters whether they are in focus or not

this lens is a good tool to use when you want to focus on whats in the center while capturing what is around it.