Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, I think this is the problem.
If you buy Samayang it has to be "for Pentax K-mount", not Q, not Nikon, Canon, m43.. unless you want a lens for one of those other mounts/cameras.
The Samyang 14mm f2.8 is not a fisheye, it is just ultra wide. The Samyang 8mm is a fisheye. The 14mm still has distortion and so on
it has both perspective distortion and a healthy amount of barrel dostortion
QuoteQuote:
, as do all ultra wides, but it is rectilinear, which means straight lines.
no the samyang 14 produces slightly curved lines, see my previous comment, the barrel distortion is quite noticible.
QuoteQuote:
You might also want to think about the Samyang 16mm f2.0.

Also, Samyang lenses are sold under names like Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, ProOptic, Falcon, etc.
and vivitar

03-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it has both perspective distortion and a healthy amount of barrel dostortion no the samyang 14 produces slightly curved lines, see my previous comment, the barrel distortion is quite noticible. and vivitar
The Vivitar was marketed as a 13mm, and possibly has been discontinued under that brand. The price dropped to $199 everywhere at once at once a few months ago. I think is out of stock everywhere now, probably forever.
03-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It has so-called moustache distortion. I've ordered one, and assume you can download a Lightroom profile for it - doesn't seem to be many complaints from owners. :-)
03-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
no the samyang 14 produces slightly curved lines, see my previous comment, the barrel distortion is quite noticible.
Right, but it is still not on the same level as a fisheye. The Samyang is still corrected.
Oh, and regarding lens profiles, I posted one for LR in Samyang club or one of the other threads about this. A user on these forums made it for their K-5II. The profile is quite good for distortion correction.

03-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exactly, it is corrected for distortion, although a bit under-corrected, hence not a fish-eye.
03-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Right, but it is still not on the same level as a fisheye. The Samyang is still corrected.
Oh, and regarding lens profiles, I posted one for LR in Samyang club or one of the other threads about this. A user on these forums made it for their K-5II. The profile is quite good for distortion correction.
I would be careful with a K5 profile. Better you get one based on a film frame like a PZ1 . Remember this is a full frame lens

I use mine on my PZ1, and with all the hype about an upcoming pentax FF DSLR a full frame profile might be the best, or perhaps we would need one for each format
03-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Yes, you can use a full-frame profile for either a full-frame camera or a crop camera (as long as it knows it is a crop camera), but you could use a "crop profile" for your crop camera also. For the Samyang, I downloaded a user profile with the abobe profile downloader for a full-frame Nikon -- seems to work pretty well. Profile is called "Nikon D700 (Samyang 14mm f11)". I just apply it manually in LR...
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Well, ideally you use the profile made for your specific camera, or you make your own profile. I only mentioned that one because it might be interesting to readers if they want to test it out.

03-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, ideally you use the profile made for your specific camera, or you make your own profile. I only mentioned that one because it might be interesting to readers if they want to test it out.
From what I understand the camera model is the least important thing and hardly makes a difference, if any. (As long as the sensor size that the profile was made from is at least as big as the camera/image you're applying it to.)
03-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
update: the lens came in and it wasn't erroneously listed on Amazon. The actual Bower box says Fisheye lens. It is definitely rectilinear, as you all said.
03-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have fun, W.

I've got one ordered. Samyang quality control can be dicey, so hope you've got a good one.

My 85mm and 24mm are fine, but it's apparently a bit like Russian roulette.

I've ordered from a local retailer instead of international online to make things go smoother if it turns out to be decentred or whatever. :-)
03-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
he actual Bower box says Fisheye lens.
Interesting.
03-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Interesting.
And stupid
03-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Well does the lens work? Be sure to Enable aperture ring in the camera's Menu. And to choose A setting on the lens' aperture ring (you need to press a little button to put it into A) to get more automation.
Finally, take a photo of something at close range (like newspaper) and see if the lens is decentered. This was the main problem for Samyang 14mm lenses, as I remember. With such an ultra wide, even a little decentering can cause half the frame to be blurry. If this is not a problem, yay!
03-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm familiar with ap ring usage. I haven't checked it for decentering yet, but the astro pics I took wide open last night seemed to be fine and no real coma. And the distance scale is close. Not dead on, but close.