Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Promaster 1.7x Teleconverter?

Does anyone have or had one of these and can say how the IQ is? I want to pair my Sigma 100-300 f/4 with something and this would give it a little better reach than the 1.4 but I really want to retain IQ as much as possible.

I stumbled across one and should have tried it while I had a chance but I really wasn't set up for that. I am wondering how it compares to the Pentax 1.7.

Thanks all,
Oren

06-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have one but came across this while looking for a kenko 1.5x. it was posted on a canon forum:

"I have the ProMaster 1.7...it's got it's pro's and con's. I haven't been able to get the auto focus to work at all with any of my Tamron lenses and it's really hit or miss with my Canon "nifty fifty". In fact, most of the time with my Tamron lenses, it causes the camera to error out unless I leave it unlocked on the mount (i.e. the contacts not touching).

I usually have to play with it a lot and of course using it with a 300mm lens, a really solid tripod is imperative. With that said, I have gotten some really sharp images with this thing and I do consider it very well worth the $35 I payed on Ebay for it. Personally I don't mind the manual focus thing as I grew up with an old manual focus (manual everything) Canon FTb 35mm. I don't use the tele a lot, but it's nice to have when I need a little more reach than my Tamron 70-300mm can deliver.

My suggestion is this...if you're using something like high end Canon L lenses, then get the Canon converter. If however your looking for something on a budget and you don't mind fussing with it a bit, the ProMaster isn't too bad for the price."

general consensus is that it is a re-badged tamron made converter

Last edited by ivoire; 06-02-2008 at 08:09 PM.