Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

there are many discussions, about FF on aps-c, that the "Sharp Middle over the Whole APS-C" thing isnīt actually that easy.

Some articles say that you get much more detail with APS-C lens to APS-C body and even more APS-C lens to FF body.
I wouldnīt speculate on that, there are enough members who can describe it better.

03-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
there are many discussions, about FF on aps-c, that the "Sharp Middle over the Whole APS-C" thing isnīt actually that easy.

Some articles say that you get much more detail with APS-C lens to APS-C body and even more APS-C lens to FF body.
I wouldnīt speculate on that, there are enough members who can describe it better.
I don't know about that, I only heard about about full frame lenses being better on APS-C, and APS-C lens being worse on FF body.

But interesting to me in those dxomark test Na Horuk posted, is that nikon 50mm 1.8 g and d are better in resolution on FF D610 then on DX D7100 even both of them have same megapixels.
03-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panicAttack Quote
But interesting to me in those dxomark test Na Horuk posted, is that nikon 50mm 1.8 g and d are better in resolution on FF D610 then on DX D7100 even both of them have same megapixels.
Well DXo has some problems. For example, they are all normalized tests. Some say that this type of normalization skews the results in favour of FF. Secondly, many claim the DXo tests are skewed in favour of Nikon gear in general. Of course, it is difficult to say how true this is and what the exact reasons for this might be. The main reason why I posted DXo was because it was the only resource that I could think of, that tested the DA 50mm f1.8 and Nikon 50mm on a nearly identical sensor. If you are interested, you can look for threads about DXo on these and other forums.
03-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The D7000 and K-5 sensors aren't identical when it comes to the sharpness results. The K-5 has a much stronger AA filter, the D7000 one is very, very weak. So much so that Lenstip writes that they always expect the same lens to have 3-4 more lpmm in the D7000 than the K-5. (As described in this review: Samyang 16 mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com)

So the results are probably even more impressive for the DA 50 1.8 compared to the Nikon counterpart.

I don't know why anyone would get the more expensive FA 50 1.7 when the DA 50 1.8 is arguably superior (better coatings, rounded blades) and can be had brand new for 104 dollars on Ebay with free shipping. See Pentax SMC Da 50mm F 1 8 Camera Lens for K 3 K 50 K 500 K 5 II K 5 IIS K 30 K 01 027075217607 | eBay

03-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't know why anyone would get the more expensive FA 50 1.7 when the DA 50 1.8 is arguably superior (better coatings, rounded blades) and can be had brand new for 104 dollars on Ebay with free shipping. See Pentax SMC Da 50mm F 1 8 Camera Lens for K 3 K 50 K 500 K 5 II K 5 IIS K 30 K 01 027075217607 | eBay
Because of things like this I have opened this topic, I didn't even took that one in my mind before this topic, now I do.

It's really cheap lens, but for us in Europe not that cheap (lens in your link can't be shipped to Croatia) Cheapest new DA 50 1.8 I can find on ebay is 139 + 14 shippment, and there are also import taxes here.

I may change my mind but would like to know how that one compare to M 50 1.7 in corner and edge sharpness. (or FA)

Still do believe that full frame lens gives better corner sharpness on crop body. Always try to put my standing models from edge to edge of a frame (I shoot isolated on white background) so its crucial to me that head (on top of the frame) is sharp as central part of frame (torso). I always achieved that with M 50.

But autofocus and rounded blades are big plus for this lens.
03-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The D7000 and K-5 sensors aren't identical when it comes to the sharpness results. The K-5 has a much stronger AA filter, the D7000 one is very, very weak.
Ah yeah, that would explain it! If you compare the K-5IIs (no AA filter at all), the DA 50mm beats the Nikon 50mm on D7000. This is why it is so difficult to compare between brands! So many variables
03-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I've have the 50/1.7 in the following versions: M, A, F, FA, and DA (1.8). Of all of them I prefer the FA, which is the only one still have. For some reason, I wasn't a huge fan of the DA 1.8. Slower and louder focusing, and photos weren't as impressive as the 50 1.7's (although this may have been my copy). Above all, I absolutely love my new FA 43 1.9 which fits my focal length preferences better.

03-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
just to let everyone here know, I decided to buy Manual asashi pentax 50 1.7 again

but I saved some money for new k-3 body, and have question about it (dont want to open new topic)

does anyone know if I can check serial key somewhere online before I buy k-3 to check if that body is the one with mirror flop issues?
03-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panicAttack Quote
know if I can check serial key somewhere online before I buy k-3 to check if that body is the one with mirror flop issues?
There are folk who claim that the issue is limited to a given serial number range, but the range spans all K-3s sold from the beginning in fall 2014 through August 2015. Even within that range, it is obvious that not all cameras are affected. From all appearance, the runaway mirror (not really mirror flop...different symptoms on earlier cameras) problem was due to one or more bad batches of the third-party component that controls the mirror subsystem. The bad boards made their way into production with no predictable pattern. For example, my K-3 is apparently unaffected, but the serial number is very close to the bodies that DRabbit had problems with. Go figure. The vast majority of K-3 bodies are unaffected.

If you buy new, the chances are low that your camera will have a problem. If you buy used, ask the seller pointedly whether they have ever had an episode of runaway mirror. If so, and they chose to not have the camera serviced (Ricoh will fix), buy a different camera.

Steve