Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I think it is a remarkable privilege that Pentaxians enjoy not one, not two, but THREE (!) fabulously brilliant lenses - the 31, 43 and 77 of the FA Limited Family.

03-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I feel so sad for the FA 50mm f/1.4. It's not getting a lot of love here.
The FA didn't put much effort neither
03-16-2015, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The FA didn't put much effort neither
This young fellow may disagree with that statement!

_IMG1186
by Never Off, on Flickr

(FA 50mm f/1.4 sample)
03-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

This young fellow may disagree with that statement!

_IMG1186
by Never Off, on Flickr

(FA 50mm f/1.4 sample)
But this is taken at f/5 ! I already had back in time a 50-135 f2/8 and a 17-70 f/4... My goal in buying FA50 was not f/5 performance

And the fact that the left harm look much more in focus than the right make me think you didn't get a more reliable version than mine for AF.

I was not expecting maybe great performance at f/1.4, but I wanted at least f/2 otherwise it doesn't make sense against comon zooms.

Looking at your FA50 f/1.4 set, it seems there nothing under f/2.8 ! Like me you would have been as good with the FA50 f/1.7 or DA50 f/1.8.

03-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With sharpness like this, who needs a Sigma Ex 50mm f1.4.

How about K5 + F 50mm f1.4 shot @ f3.2 (best viwed on Flickr via Firefox)

03-16-2015, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

The joy of the FA 50mm is not in its full open aperture performance. It comes in the colors, contrast, and rendering while being a small, reliable, and classic lens that has withstood the test of time. I try to stay away comparing lenses by numbers and look instead at what and how it renders.

I did not care about one arm being more in focus than the other. Symmetrical depth of field was not my goal. I wanted to focus on my son's face.

Every lens will do something special if you are ready to massage it and work with its strengths and weaknesses. They are made for different circumstances just like clothes. Some clothes we wear to work. Some we wear to fancy parties. All clothes make a statement. Just different statements.

Even though the focal lengths are about the same between the 43mm and 50mm I consider the lenses unique enough in their performance that they compliment each other wonderfully. They will give your photographs a wider variety of taste.

So, I will continue to defend the lovely FA 50mm f/1.4.
03-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The joy of the FA 50mm is not in its full open aperture performance. It comes in the colors, contrast, and rendering while being a small, reliable, and classic lens that has withstood the test of time. I try to stay away comparing lenses by numbers and look instead at what and how it renders.

I did not care about one arm being more in focus than the other. Symmetrical depth of field was not my goal. I wanted to focus on my son's face.

Every lens will do something special if you are ready to massage it and work with its strengths and weaknesses. They are made for different circumstances just like clothes. Some clothes we wear to work. Some we wear to fancy parties. All clothes make a statement. Just different statements.

Even though the focal lengths are about the same between the 43mm and 50mm I consider the lenses unique enough in their performance that they compliment each other wonderfully. They will give your photographs a wider variety of taste.

So, I will continue to defend the lovely FA 50mm f/1.4.
I understand your point of view but this was not what I was after. Personnally I don't want to have dozen of lenses few milimeters appart and to change them constantly. I don't want to have 2 or 3 lenses to cover a given focal rangre and to have to choose this one when closed down, this one when I want shallow deph of field and so on. i know that if I had FA43 + FA50, the FA43 would get all the shoots because overall it is better.

FA50 is not sharp enough, contrasty enough at large appertures neither the reliable in term of focus. You photo worked despite the focus not centered on the head really because of f/5 even through the front left arm is more in focus than the right part of the head.

I did brought it to give me something that my 50-135 didn't do. it was supposed to give better results on the shared range. It didn't. It was lighter but less reliable and less sharp at f/2.8. The DA50-135 was just rendering better (to me) at f/2.8 than the FA50.

And from understanding then if it not to use it at f/1.4, many are convinced the FA50 f/1.7 or DA50 f/1.8 are as great or even slightly better optically. Thoses lenses are cheaper.

After some time being really disapointed by this lense that for me given me nothing, I decided to try FA77. And really this was completely different experience, much more satisfying. I suppose DA*55 would have given something similar. FA43 apparently already is a bit more moody/difficult and can have disturbing bokeh at time and make so-so image from time to time.

FA77 render beautifully most of the time, at all appertures in all circonstances and for all kind of subjects. This is what I want from my gear.

So there was no reason for me to keep both lenses. I prefer to be light I sold the FA50 that I still consider to be untinterresting, and the 50-135 that is simply too heavy/big and that didn't achieve the level of quality the FA77 did provided. Last week I ordered an F135 for the few cases where I need a longer tele than 77.

I also replace DA35 f/2.4 with DA35 f/2.8 ltd for taking contrasty landscape and macro/proxy use. I have no lense between 35 and 77mm and for me that's a feature. Like I have no lense between 77 and 135 and again that intentionnal.

Then I have DA15 and DA21. I'am a bit disapointed with thoses because sometime the lack of corner sharpness show at web size to nacked eyes. I keep them for the great color/rendering. I know I can't really get something better anyway for now with acceptable weight/size but I hope Pentax will make a lense in the 20-24 range that would be not to big and would have less field curvature. Because really theses lenses are sharp enough, it is just that they have field curvature.

Anyway that give me DA15, DA21, DA35, FA77, F135. I try to have different lenses for different use, to have them small and to have a few. I would hate to add FA50 and FA43 to this setup to say yeah but sometime the FA50 can even make good photos in easy settings so I must have it even if it does no better than other lenses.

I would hate to have then FA43 that is near DA35 and that FA50. I know the FA43 (and FA31) render better out of focus areas and make for better portraits, but they can't do any macro and FA31 is too expensive. The job for specialized portrait lense is already taken by FA77 and well it also manage to take the job for best rendering lense in the pack and great versatile short tele. The occasional portrait shoot wider will be taken with DA35 f/2.8 so be it.

Anyway every lense in the bag has to really justify itself and bring to the table. I don't want to be gentle, I want the gear to perform and being a joy to use. FA50 didn't have anything better than other lenses in any means. What It was supposed to bring, it failed to provide. It had to go. Theses things are object, I'am not social with lenses !

6BQ5, your boy picture it great because of the great lighting and it is crip/constrasty because any lense is crip and contrasty at f/5... I don't say the DA18-55 would have done that great, but honestly I'am not sure he would have done much worse in theses condition and f/5.6 is not far from f/5

Stavri: as for your cat, the lighting is a bit more difficult for sure here... But from my point of view while sharp enough, this is not razor sharp (not necessary maybe here) and it is already f/3.2. The FA77 is as sharp at f/2. This make the apperture usable. Well it is usable on FA50, but not that great.

Like your both I don't care the technical number really, I just want the thing to be great to my eyes.

When I need it, the FA77 deliver at f/2. It isn't that sharp if you zoom, but sufficiantly for a portrait and it is pleasing to look at:

And if I want more punchy color, more contrast, and more details it also deliver closed down (f/4.5 here):

It also does bit compressed tele rendering and landscape:

I really don't see where the FA50 would do better and would justify I keep it outside having a different framing. I also don't think there would be much cases in the initial poster case where FA50 would do really better than the FA43 and then the framing is very similar.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-16-2015 at 11:34 PM.
03-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
When I was first introduced to the three FA limiteds as potential objects of desire, my Pentaxian friend referred to them as The Diva, The Bitch and The Princess (in ascending order of focal length). Perhaps not politically correct, but it has stood the test of time in my experience
Just above, Stavri mentioned that the FA 43 is temperamental. For someone who is puzzling over similar choices as the OP, could some of the folks experienced with the FA 43 give a bit more in-depth explanation / description of how the 43 is a temperamental "bitch"?

Are great shots hit or miss? Under what circumstances is the lens good and bad? What's the difficult or temperamental part in your experience? Thanks!
03-16-2015, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Just above, Stavri mentioned that the FA 43 is temperamental. For someone who is puzzling over similar choices as the OP, could some of the folks experienced with the FA 43 give a bit more in-depth explanation / description of how the 43 is a temperamental "bitch"?

Are great shots hit or miss? Under what circumstances is the lens good and bad? What's the difficult or temperamental part in your experience? Thanks!
I'am no FA43 expert but my understanding is:
- The bokeh can be quite disturbing on the occasion.
- While the FA43 can give 3D/pop quite easily sometime for no apparent reason it would give dull/plain images that have really nothing special to them

Honestly through if you don't mind the money as apparently you think FA43/FA50 and FA43 is far from being unexpensive, I would consider more FA43 vs DA*55. This last one is much more loved by its owners than the FA50 and is arround similar price than FA43. Many would prefer its rendering to FA43 but that might be also dependant of what you are after. FA ltd rendering is really special and unique.

FA50 main justification is the price and then FA50 f/1.7 and DA50 f/1.8 are quite cheap and no worse than FA50 f/1.4. Theses both entry level offering are more interresting to start with a small budget and discover primes/wide appertures.

For longer focal, the FA77 is an easy lense it tend to always perform greatly. DA70 great too.
For shorter focal, FA31, FA35/DA35 tend to perform well in most circonstances I would say.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-17-2015 at 12:06 AM.
03-17-2015, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

The 43ltd is not temperamental, Its just misunderstood. The 43ltd is designed as a photojournalism lens, the idea is to stop down the lens so the subject is fully in focus with the background OOF but still recognisable. The incredible microcontrast and centre sharpness then produce that awesome 3d pixie dust just about every time. The "meh" shots happen for various reason, usually bad composition/subject/light conditions. People seem to think the 43ltd can perform miracles! The bad bokeh occurs when you have bright vertical OOF elements like branches that result in CA. Again all lenses I've seen suck in this situation.
Obviously once you understand the true nature of the 43ltd then you are going to want to budget for that FF camera!

Now I've said that here is its bonus character that you get at F1.9, in ultra cute kitty style for good measure

Last edited by robjmitchell; 03-17-2015 at 02:10 AM.
03-17-2015, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my tuppence worth I'd suggest getting the 43 ( which is a no brainer in my book) and spend $75 or so on an A 50 1.7.

I am fortunate to have the three amigos, the FA 50, and the aforementioned A50. In order of preference, and at the risk of black balling from the Pentaxian brotherhood, I would rank the 31 as my 2nd least favourite lenses of these 5. The FA 50 comes a creditable 5th. There is not a lot wrong with the FA 50, but the others sing more to me.

To my mind the FA 43 and 77 are the best lenses I own, and the crown keeps shifting with my mood and application. The A 50 has classic pentax punch in the colours, and is a total bargain at the price.

Good luck with your choices.
03-17-2015, 02:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

After acquiring all three limiteds, 77, 43 and 31, in that order, I must agree that the 43 is a "temperamental" lens, especially when compared to its siblings.

The 77 is a point and shoot lens, set your camera into correct exposure, stabilize it, and just think about your composition, and chances are, the image will almost always look better than how you initially envisioned it to be. Magic, and they call it pixie dust, instantaneously happens. Rendition, (with little processing) often looks so much better than the photographer's original vision! Ditto for the 31.

Now the 43 is different. This lens has to be "seduced, gently persuaded, coaxed and cajoled" to produce flattering images. And when it does, the images it produces may even be more "emotional", if not downright sublime, than what the 77 and the 31 can do. My favorite images have been taken with my 43. That being said, I've shot more craps in my 43 than the 31 and 77 combined!

Getting back to the topic, I too had a bunch of 50 including the FA50/1.4 once, and I had to let them go after acquiring the 43.
03-17-2015, 03:31 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't get me wrong: I love my 43, but I have spent two separate months shooting it every day, so have learned a bit about its sweet spot. You need to get close to your subject and pick your aperture carefully.

The 31 and 77 on the other hand just keep giving whether at near or infinity focus, wide open or stopped down.

For me, the 43 *is* more temperamental, but still well worth the effort.
03-17-2015, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

As mentioned, the hit-miss aspect of the FA43 I have found would be down to its bokeh, which can be nervous at times but thats part of the design of the lens.

On FF its main advantage is this good mix of subject isolation with context as well as epic sharpness in the centre, this and the perfect walk around focal length, it really is a relavation for me on FF having previously just had a copy on APS-C (now on my second copy).

If you want super creamy/smooth bokeh then there are other lenses that will do that better.

Wide open on FF

Wide open on APS-C

Another feature I love about the lens is the clean/sharp sun stars when stopped down:

Last edited by hoopsontoast; 03-17-2015 at 06:02 AM.
03-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Nicolas06,

Wow, that a very thorough analysis! It looks like you have thought long and hard about your lenses and I appreciate that. I have done the same and I ended up with the 31mm, 43mm, 50mm, and 77mm primes. We all shoot different subjects in different conditions with different styles. Of course, our lens selections will be different. Diversity in this case is a good thing. Imagine if everyone used the same lens. How interesting would that be?