Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bee close up with Tamron 70-300 Di LD

After testing my Tamron for close up on flowers

Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

I went on to test the Tamron zoom on moving insects with bee

#2 miss focus on the flying bee

#6 quite soft due to movement

Overall, I am quite happy with the lens. The PF is evident in this lens, most of the bee shots have purple fringes showing in the wings, eyes and some area show fringes with green also. I have not attempted the correction on PF.

I shot all bee shots in ISO 400 in K10D in jpg. Please comment if the noise on the background is normal with my K10D in iso 400.

I post some original shots in full size in

Sample of Original size

Please help me check if the noise you see from my bee shots are normal.

Much thanks,
Hin

06-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent sharpness/detail from the lens, and good capture technique, hin.
06-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Excellent sharpness/detail from the lens, and good capture technique, hin.
Thanks for your kind words.

Do you find the noise in ISO 400 normal from my K10D? After getting other inputs from another forum, it seems the noise on my iso 400 shots are normal and not out of the ordinary.

Thanks,
Hin
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

Do you find the noise in ISO 400 normal from my K10D? After getting other inputs from another forum, it seems the noise on my iso 400 shots are normal and not out of the ordinary.

Thanks,
Hin
What noise????? Seriously Hin, those are FABULOUS!! I am so in awe of people who can take photos like this. I admit bees defeat me everytime - just need more practice I think and maybe some better flowers in my garden

06-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks,
Hin
I took a look at the full sized shots, and the noise looks standard for that situation. I like how the K10D keeps the detail - NR has not smoothed it into a cartoon-surface, which happens with the C***N 40D.

06-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I took a look at the full sized shots, and the noise looks standard for that situation. I like how the K10D keeps the detail - NR has not smoothed it into a cartoon-surface, which happens with the C***N 40D.

Special thanks for the follow up on noise. I feel relieved and more confident with my K10D. Much thanks.

Hin
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
What noise????? Seriously Hin, those are FABULOUS!! I am so in awe of people who can take photos like this. I admit bees defeat me everytime - just need more practice I think and maybe some better flowers in my garden
Thank you for the kind comments. I also ran into many moments with 'where is that bee' upon shutter release and the bee, though not very fast, it can vanish from the viewfinder quickly.

I used both AF.C and manual focus on my Tamron 70-300 Di LD. And I simply missed quite a number of shots using manual focus. But out of the good ones on manual focus, they come out quite good. In the series, the AF.C helps me the most, though I prefer manual focus for the challenge and precision when the bee cooperates. I wish the Tamron lens has the missing feature of quick shift focus as in the kit's lens or that in the DA 50-200 that I can turn the focus ring to bypass the AF prior to the final shutter release

Last edited by hinman; 06-03-2008 at 10:22 AM.
06-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hinman, those are excellent pics, you've gotten great detail, especially in #4. great in-flite shot also
06-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Hinman, those are excellent pics, you've gotten great detail, especially in #4. great in-flite shot also
Thanks for the kind words. I should have cleaned up the sensor as I now see specks in some of the shots

Regards,
Hin
06-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words. I should have cleaned up the sensor as I now see specks in some of the shots

Regards,
Hin

if you have post processing software they are easy to remove
06-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
if you have post processing software they are easy to remove
I get a trial version of Lightroom and I do see the speck removal. Much thanks for the pointer.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-05-2008 at 01:58 PM.
06-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Shot No.5 is absolutely gorgeous...Love it!

Ben
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

hinman, I've always been impressed with your skills from day 1. These are wonderful examples for any photographer. Now consider you used a sub- $150 lens and I'd say the results are downright astonishing!

Proof positive that the greatest asset in photography is the one looking through the viewfinder.

I salute you! <S>
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

Great shots. What is the shutter speed. I have that lens and am just starting bee photography. Mine are always out of focus.
Thx for any pointers.
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Shot No.5 is absolutely gorgeous...Love it!

Ben
Thank you Ben for the encouragement.

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
hinman, I've always been impressed with your skills from day 1. These are wonderful examples for any photographer. Now consider you used a sub- $150 lens and I'd say the results are downright astonishing!

Proof positive that the greatest asset in photography is the one looking through the viewfinder.

I salute you! <S>
Thank you for the kind words! I salute to you all for the encouragement.

It is a frustrating experience in AF.C and manual focus to work on the bee. I tried both and both have goods and bads. AF.C helps but it works very slowly in the Tamron lens and most of the time, the bee vanished from the viewfinder. I try to learn from others in having both eyes opened in shooting. My manual focus is too slow for the bees. There are times that I wish I could drug the bee to slow down a bit.

My new endeavor with the lens is close up on leaves and portraits. Kind of overexposed in 1st shot and both shots need pp work, but I am well pleased with the inexpensive lens for its closeup with very reasonable sharpness. And I find the bokeh quite pleasing too

#7 Overexposed on lower tree trunk area

#8 Need contrast fix up

#9 Portrait in 70-135mm range

#10 Too bad on shadow, missing filled flash on this one

Tamron 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

You can see that I am using the $90 used lens for everything. When my Canon and Nikon buddies try to show off their $900 L and VR lens, I did brag about my $90 lens that I am very proud of.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-05-2008 at 06:28 PM.