Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
The question of whether one lens will give you want you want would need you to go back and further analyse your keepers, as the way to 'zoom' with a prime is to use your legs.

So, could you have 'zoomed' by changing your position relative to the subjects
For puppies, no, as I am usually on my belly or knees and elbows. I could shoot wider and crop frame in post, as long as I had a sharp photo.
For most other things, the zoom is just convenience.

03-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the 43, then start saving for the 31
03-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
It seems the mid 20mm to around 70mm is the go to for roughly 80% of the keepers. I have a 18-135, but want to try out some better glass.
DA21 and DA70 Limiteds are the ones I'd go for. I now have the set of the DA Limiteds and these two are the ones I like the most. Given the current FF craze there are bound to be some second hand SMC ones going cheap. I'm still undecided whether I like the DA40 - it is a nice little lens but I always find that focal length either too short or too long ...
03-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The 43ltd is one of the most versatile focal lengths you could possible own(which is why some people find it weird). Great for landscapes, great for portraits, and great for wandering around and randomly photographing stuff. Plus it leaves every zoom dead and most primes too IQ wise! Of course the best thing you can do is go to the lens club forum and look at the photos people get with their lenses. You may find that you prefer another option like a 35ltd of 55/1.4. The 43ltd is not without its quirks either, it doesn't focus particularly close and has some CA (one click fix in LR) It shines when stopped down from 2.8 to 5.6 as it was designed with photojournalism in mind, not portraiture. Wide open it has a softer low contrast vibe that is quite nice too for portraits (although other faster lenses are better in this regard).

03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion earlier was to buy a DA 40 (XS) to try the focal length. Another option is to just set your kit zoom on 40'ish mm and try it. If it works great! My suspicion is it will be workable but less ideal than a 21/50 or 21/40/70 combination.
03-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
Get the 43, then start saving for the 31
Hey don't tell him what I did. Ahhhhh.....that's exactly what I did . You will eventually need both. LBA will get you in the end.
03-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 24-70 Sigma is a lot of bulk. I'd go 35, 50 & DA70 and a favorite drink instead The FA lenses are clearly small marvels but I must eat and perform other money tricks, so must.. Say.. NO..
03-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be perfectly fair, I use my DA 18-135, my DA 35 f/2.4, my F 50 1.7, my DA 15 Limited (SMC), and my F 100 f/2.8 Macro in the 20-70 range or close to it.

Is it ideal? No. But I'm still trying to decide where I want to be. I don't find my 18-135 too slow 99% of the time. When I do, it's generally on the long end, which means my DA* 50-135 is likely to be called in or I'm just cranking up ISO.

FF - may drive up prices, but it may drive DOWN the prices of older lenses that only worked well because only the center of the image circle was important. Demand will drive prices, and frankly we have no idea what demand will be yet.

03-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously you need the Three Amigos: FA 31, FA 43 and FA77 Ltds. Full coverage of most of your focal length range. For good measure at wide end, you "need" the DA 21 Ltd. See how LBA works? Ain't it fun? The hunt is intoxicating! Good luck.
03-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The 24-70 Sigma is a lot of bulk. I'd go 35, 50 & DA70 and a favorite drink instead The FA lenses are clearly small marvels but I must eat and perform other money tricks, so must.. Say.. NO..

Agreed! I also need money for other things. So, I own the 35mm and 50mm Plastic Fantastics. They are wonderful.
03-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
mid 20mm to around 70mm is the go to for roughly 80% of the keepers.
Doesn't everything have mixed reviews? Try the Tamron 28-75. It's cheap and looks great.

Or get the 16-50 and a 1.4x teleconverter to put it into your keeper range.
03-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

First I would see with you wife if using prime is acceptable. It is very different in use, and many dislike.

On the opposite with cell phones more and more are used with 1 focal length.

I have the impression you want the 18-135 range, but higher quality and also gathering more light.

If you go for the zoom and want brighter, I think the tamron 28-75 or sigma 24-70 would do the trick in many situations. Brighter, cover most of the range. A bit expensive but more interresting range for the sigma. This lense would work well for weddings, event, low light interiors in general.

Otherwise, if you don't mind to need to change lense when changing framing... if you enjoy trying to get best possible picture and don't mind cropping a bit in post prod, and moving arround your subject, prime lenses can offer your more quality, smaller/lighter/less intrusive gear and even more light.

As kh1234567890 explains, I tend to use most arround 20mm and 70mm. A bit like you.

The 21mm would cover just well the 21-30mm range for all kind of wide shoots, landscapes and so on. It would not be that lighter as 18-135 is f/3.5 I think bellow 24mm and the 21 is f/3.2. But it is so small/unobtrusive that it is a joy to use. And the rendering would be really better.

For the long end, kh use DA70, smaller, less expensive, very sharp lense. And gathering much more light than the 18-135. It would cover well say the 60-120mm range. As apparently you are not too after past 135mm, that would do the job well.

Me I prefer, the FA77, even more light gathering and a rendering that to me is more pleasing. A bit less agressive/chirurgical, more subtle and with more 3D/pixie dust look. The issue is the price. Very expensive. If you buy it, you'll never want to use the DA70 again!... But if you are on budget, it is likely not worth the trouble. A used DA70 would be much more affordable and bring 90% of it.

If you do most in the 20-70 range through you should look where you shoot the most. If there lot of pictures in the 30-60mm range, you should really think of a lense like FA31, DA35 (plastic wonder or ltd), FA43. It might be more use for you than 70mm if you don't got past 70. And you could always get it after.

To just try primes, I think FA43 would be nice. Expensive but still acceptable. Very sharp closed down, great for portraiture and details due to its ability to isolate the subject. And Yes it would replace the 35 & 50. You could buy a cheap used DA21 for the wide angle after.

The issue is not what it could replace (or not) the issue is to know the focal you'll love the more. I know that using a great lense help me love the focal too. You'll be more willing to adapt when you see the far superior shoot, but really you shoot look where you take many shoots.

The best way likely to cover the whole range in prime is DA21, FA31, FA77, but the prices of the last 2... oh my !

Me I'am 99% decided for DA35 f/2.8 ltd. Very contrasty picture, exceptionnal resistance to flare, very adaptable focal length (from portrait to landscapes) and the macro feature to see things differently. That could also be a good first try !

If money is a concern (it always is at some point for most of us!), really, just try with DA35 f/2.4 (not the limited version) play quite some time with it... and only after see if you want to continue or not.
03-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

looking at your website...

Primes: i would get the DA 21 (for landsape), Da35 ldt macro (for landscape, normal, close ups, details) and the da70 (for people, animals) or if your not in to macro the DA40 [SMC/HD/XS] (really small) by this you should have some quality primes. another thought if you really need a faster lens (apperture) get one of the 50 f1.4 options.

faster zoom: get one of the options mentioned think about if you need weather sealing, small & light, wide agle, normal, tele