Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
"Much sought after" ? 43mm 1.9

I have seen a lot of praise for this lens. Recently, in the ad section, there has been a couple of ads for the "rare," "much sought after," "made in Japan" version of the lens. I have seen a couple of used examples for around $300.00- I assume these are all Vietnam examples- and other used examples for nearly $500.00 (Made in Japan.)

Is there a constant, clearly perceptible difference in quality of construction and performance between the lenses made in Japan and the lenses made in Vietnam?, or is this price difference just related to the fact that the Japanese editions are fewer and now a collector piece?

Thanks

03-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there are a lot of threads on this topic. same lens
03-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow....$300 is very cheap.

I see the FA43 as falling into 3 sub groups. The 1st one is MIJ, the early ones before the glass variation occured (serial no around 10,000 or less?), the 2nd one: MIJ with same (as best one can tell) components as the curent version, and 3rdly; the current AIV.

I would not pay more for the 2nd or 3rd......however I would (and did) pay $100-150 more for the 1st one over and above the 2 & 3 version if money wasn't an issue. I am quite content with having made this call, however the advantage of the 1st one isn't something that I think can likely be quantified....it's almost an emotional purchase.

There are plenty of threads on this forum discussing the 1st groups legitimacy...... true or not.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-13-2015 at 05:59 PM.
03-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

I personally don't think where it's made really makes much difference. There were "made in Japan" and "vietnam", but the majority difference I've once came across some Chinese blog mentioned the difference isn't where it was made, it was first batch and the rest. First batch (up till certain model number) were made with "blue" ghostless smc coating which contains lead. Later production reflection of ghostless coating is lead-free but reflects in "green" color.

It also mentioned that the "blue" coating gives tiny bit of lower contrast... but in reality, I have no idea about the truth of the source nor seeing anyone comparing both of them.

03-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This story repeats itself ...

Do a little search and you will find what you are looking for.
03-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The MIJ version just has more pixie dust. Same product otherwise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2015, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The MIJ version just has more pixie dust. Same product otherwise.
Do the fairies who spread it wear boots?

03-13-2015, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Do the fairies who spread it wear boots?
Yeah, they get a lot of milage too. I saw one had recently retired the old worn out boots because of this.
03-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Contrary to some of the responses, it was not so easy to discover meaningful information on the subject through a search. I hope to get better at that sort of thing going forward.

I guess I got lucky when I was able to get my AIV example for around $300.00. Usually it goes the other way for me. I am not qualified to affirm it is an outstanding lens- in technical terms- but can say that I am impressed with it. The focal length seems very unique and useful on APSC, and the quality, overall, seems good. Although most of my purchases have been of the great old manual lenses, it seems I have stumbled into my perfect all around AF lens with the 43 1.9.......Thus, my curiosity about the MIJ examples: if I could verify they are substantially better lenses, I would probably spring for one. It sounds like, for a guy like me, any advantage of the MIJ lenses would be pretty much unrealized.

Thanks again.

Last edited by tennjed; 03-14-2015 at 02:57 AM.
03-14-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
Thanks for the responses. Contrary to some of the responses, it was not so easy to discover meaningful information on the subject through a search. I hope to get better at that sort of thing going forward.

Thanks again.
Don't sweat it.

It is easy for those that have been around for a while, to forget the enjoyment for those newer to Pentax in having some real time dialogue with others on the things that they are discovering as they progress with the hobby.
03-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote

Thanks again.
That's because there's nothing to find. Despite what some would have you believe, a lens is a mechanical component built to a pre-defined specification. Unless a batch or series was released outside the build spec, they are all going to produce the same image. 'MIJ' is nothing more than sentimentality that unfortunately results in people paying a premium for an anodised stencil.
03-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
That's because there's nothing to find. Despite what some would have you believe, a lens is a mechanical component built to a pre-defined specification. Unless a batch or series was released outside the build spec, they are all going to produce the same image. 'MIJ' is nothing more than sentimentality that unfortunately results in people paying a premium for an anodised stencil.
It is mostly true but not 100% true. The first MIJ limited where using apparently different coating with lead that are now forbidden in some countries and they changed it so they could continue to sell it. There where also more problem reported with earlier AIV batches than with MIJ making for unhappy customers.

If you buy new, there nothing wrong with the AIV and if you lense is within specs, there likely no reason to want an MIJ except if you can find a very low serial where you might see a difference in rendering due to coating.

Is it better or worse? That might be even personnal. It is also possible Pentax release an updated version of their FA ltd in DFA form so without purple frigging issue, rounded blades, quick shift and latest coatings. Maybe even DC motors and no apparture ring. That would make sense at some point as they now have an offical FF body to come by end of year.

Theses new lense might turn out to be even better than the old one... Or to loose some of feel the old FA ltd had. Depending on all of this, the value and interrest for theses old MIJ lenses might change entirely.
03-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You've reinforced my argument.
03-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
You've reinforced my argument.
Didn't say the contrary
03-15-2015, 03:00 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any extra value to the low serials - especially for the 43 - is due to scarcity, like a 64 1/2 Mustang versus a true 65. It's as much collectible premium as mythical pixie dust.