Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New lens to me SMC Pentax-F 35-70...help

I just got a SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm 3.5-4.5......I think its broken.
I noticed when turning the zoom ring it doesn't zoom at all. The ring just turns ....there is NO zoom noticed. Is there some special trick to getting it In/Out of Macro mode ? Don't know enough about this particular lens to pass judgement on it yet. When I put it in macro....the front barrel extends out further....but when I take it out of macro the lens barrel doesn't go back to normal length and wont focus unless I push it back in manually......I have NO zoom at all. Is it broken ? Or am I missing something getting it to engage properly ? Thanks.

03-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just got a SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm 3.5-4.5......I think its broken.
I noticed when turning the zoom ring it doesn't zoom at all. The ring just turns ....there is NO zoom noticed. Is there some special trick to getting it In/Out of Macro mode ? Don't know enough about this particular lens to pass judgement on it yet. When I put it in macro....the front barrel extends out further....but when I take it out of macro the lens barrel doesn't go back to normal length and wont focus unless I push it back in manually......I have NO zoom at all. Is it broken ? Or am I missing something getting it to engage properly ? Thanks.
In macro mode, there is no zoom. It's fixed at 70mm and the zoom ring instead controls the focus. The lens should zoom normally between the focal lengths marked on the zoom ring, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In macro mode, there is no zoom. It's fixed at 70mm and the zoom ring instead controls the focus. The lens should zoom normally between the focal lengths marked on the zoom ring, however.
Right...Macro works fine...excellent actually. But no zoom....ring feels free and loose.....Its broken isn't it ? I love the rendition and sharpness.....but something is amiss.....Dabb Nabbit !!!
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Right...Macro works fine...excellent actually. But no zoom....ring feels free and loose.....Its broken isn't it ? I love the rendition and sharpness.....but something is amiss.....Dabb Nabbit !!!
Yup if there's no zoom between 35 and 70mm, then something inside the lens must be broken.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup if there's no zoom between 35 and 70mm, then something inside the lens must be broken.
Thanks Adam. I knew it but its so mint looking and sharp ......... I just didn't want to admit it.
Ebay.....lol. Doesn't always work out too good........ I will try again.
03-14-2015, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a very solid click to get out of macro - it'll have a LOT of play before you hit that spot on the lens. When you twist the center ring from all the way from 70, it'll go a good fifth of a turn or so (the length of the green macro line), then stop. Keep twisting and it'll jump out of macro into normal and behave properly, provided its not broken. FWIW, you should still see the lens extending and retracting, even if its in macro. If its doing that its at least working in manual mode.
03-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
There is a very solid click to get out of macro - it'll have a LOT of play before you hit that spot on the lens. When you twist the center ring from all the way from 70, it'll go a good fifth of a turn or so (the length of the green macro line), then stop. Keep twisting and it'll jump out of macro into normal and behave properly, provided its not broken. FWIW, you should still see the lens extending and retracting, even if its in macro. If its doing that its at least working in manual mode.
Its broken........ It comes out of macro , but it doesn't extend or contract the barrel/internals at all after that when zooming.It extends...but doesn't come back and has to be pushed in from finger pressure.
Im going to just ask for a refund. Usually stuff like this comes from some goober on ebay. The guy I bought it from has 100% good feedback and is cameras only. It probably just slipped by without being caught. Im sure he will do the right thing. 2000 transactions and 100% feedback is not easy to get unless you care and treat your customers right.

03-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, most likely it's broken. My first F 35-70 had some kind of similar issue, It could focus only in macro mode somehow, but in any other position I also needed to use fingers. I bought the second good copy from ebay. Get your refund and get another copy. It's a great lens if works properly.
03-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yep, most likely it's broken. My first F 35-70 had some kind of similar issue, It could focus only in macro mode somehow, but in any other position I also needed to use fingers. I bought the second good copy from ebay. Get your refund and get another copy. It's a great lens if works properly.
I was impressed right off the bat ! I already am going for another one..... Its in Japan , but like new mint in box.....Mine....lol.