Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Tamron 200-500mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello PF Friends,

I'm very interested in getting my hands on a F5.6 Tamron 200-500, the 31A: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 200-500mm F5.6 (31A) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

First I would be interested if there is a better form of this zoom range. The Bigma probably?

My goal is to get the best bang for the buck and through any feedback I'll definitely know I did my homework before going with such a zoom.

I did read many threads here and elsewhere on birding and similar topics about which lens to get and it all just seemed to be a mixed bag between the Sigma 135-400, this Tamron 200-500 and a few others.

I know there's better lenses out there but I cannot commit to a few thousand for such.

So my main question: Is if it possible to adapt a Nikon or Canon version of the 31A Adaptall to Pentax? Is it worthwhile? Anyone done this?

Many thanks!
John

03-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
So my main question: Is if it possible to adapt a Nikon or Canon version of the 31A Adaptall to Pentax? Is it worthwhile? Anyone done this?

Many thanks!
John
That was the entire reason for Adaptall lenses. A Pentax KA Adaptall adapter is around $90 on evilBay. KEH has one in EX+ for $60.

More info

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 200-500mm F/5.6 Model 31A

Best bang for your buck would be the Sigma 150-500. At $800 it's a steal.
03-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd honestly go for a Sigma 150-500 instead. Also, if it is an adaptall, then you should just have to get the Pentax adapter.
03-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I just found it on ebay for you. $270. Tamron Adaptall 2 F 6 9 Bbar MC Telephoto Zoom 200 500mm Lens for Pentax K SLR | eBay

03-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bang for buck yeah the trick is to find the 31A for, say, $300-400 but there just aren't that many of them around. The earlier f6.9 versions are well worth considering. The ad linked above is for the adaptall-2 version, its not really different to the adaptall-1 version, which I would suggest can be found for $100-150. Personally I wouldn't pay $270.

Tamron Adaptall-2 200-500mm F/6.9 Model 06A

Google Translate adaptall z500

Its a fine calculation - many would consider the sigma with AF to be worth the twice the price.

I have posted a number of pics with my 31A in the 300mm lens club.
03-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That was the entire reason for Adaptall lenses. A Pentax KA Adaptall adapter is around $90 on evilBay. KEH has one in EX+ for $60.
And despite reading this I had my doubts...
Good to know.

I know I read somewhere that the newer Tamron 5.6 was an overall improvement over the 6.9...
but as much as I want to consider the Sigma 50-500... the price is a bit steep...

The lens will be for shooting my kids doing sports outside (hopefully sunny!) and birding...
03-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 200/500 F5.6 adaptall lens.

It is an interesting monster, but it is manual focus, and the Adaptall system, while reasonably good, is somewhat delegate for the KA mount. Also , the adaptall system does not report maximum aperture properly for lenses slower than F4. Not an issue until you want to use flash, which I do when doing wildlife shots.

You need to paint out the space where an insulator for F5.6 should be, to get accurate flash metering.

The lens also delivers a goodly amount of purple fringing in backlit situations. But for all its faults focused accurately and well supported it is pretty sharp. Check the sample image archive for shots I hav eposted

03-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
And despite reading this I had my doubts...
Good to know.

I know I read somewhere that the newer Tamron 5.6 was an overall improvement over the 6.9...
but as much as I want to consider the Sigma 50-500... the price is a bit steep...

The lens will be for shooting my kids doing sports outside (hopefully sunny!) and birding...
Sigma 150-500 can be had for less than 700 at times here.
03-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Sigma 150-500 can be had for less than 700 at times here.
And with the D FA 150-450 coming out you might see some more on sale.
03-15-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And with the D FA 150-450 coming out you might see some more on sale.
There's also the rumor based on an Australian ad that Sigma is releasing the 150-600 Sport, which is weather sealed, in Pentax mount soon too. If so I will be selling mine, so between both I imagine we will see a few of them in the marketplace.
03-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

They are reasonable lenses, handled well can produce decent results for the price. The adaptall mount is the weak point. You will wear them out rather quickly, they are fussy and fragile. I ended up getting the solid adapters from ebay with no mechanism at all, they are more flexible in use than the pk adapters and nothing to break.
03-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #12

Original Poster
You guys a pure gold. Thanks for all the info.
It's good to have time on my side. I'll keep looking, and saving!!
03-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The Adaptall is a fun lens for the type of person that thinks it is a fun lens. For most people a modern Sigma would be a far far better choice. The Tamron is a huge monster, manual focus only of course, is not internal focusing so extends to be really huge at closer distances, is completely unbalanced (super front heavy) and I wouldn't consider it without a long arca plate so you can clamp it closer to the actual balance point. But the balance point moves because of the focus extension and also the inner zoom elements (which will move under their own weight if pointed at extreme angles up or down). And it is big and heavy. And it fringes a lot, but is correctable, and you'll get the usual Adaptall green/magenta bokeh fringing. BUT, where else can you get a 500/5.6 for only $300 or so? It IS very sharp when you nail focus, but it is only for the patient person with a good tripod (and you do need that long arca plate).

But if you want to actually walk around and shoot things, use AF, etc, then accept a little light loss and get yourself a used bigma or one of the other similar models for $700-$800. Twice to three times as much, but 6x more useability. The Tamron/6.9? I see no reason to consider that except for something to play with if it is dirt cheap. The SP 31A is far superior optically, and the 6.9 has all the same disadvantages. If you don't get that extra stop or so, I don't see the point.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 03-15-2015 at 02:27 PM.
03-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 31A set up with a macro rail is pictured on the 31A review page - quick balance adjustment. I also found a tripod case for $5 that was a good fit for carrying it around.
03-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The Adaptall is a fun lens for the type of person that thinks it is a fun lens. For most people a modern Sigma would be a far far better choice. The Tamron is a huge monster, manual focus only of course, is not internal focusing so extends to be really huge at closer distances, is completely unbalanced (super front heavy) and I wouldn't consider it without a long arca plate so you can clamp it closer to the actual balance point. But the balance point moves because of the focus extension and also the inner zoom elements (which will move under their own weight if pointed at extreme angles up or down). And it is big and heavy. And it fringes a lot, but is correctable, and you'll get the usual Adaptall green/magenta bokeh fringing. BUT, where else can you get a 500/5.6 for only $300 or so? It IS very sharp when you nail focus, but it is only for the patient person with a good tripod (and you do need that long arca plate).

But if you want to actually walk around and shoot things, use AF, etc, then accept a little light loss and get yourself a used bigma or one of the other similar models for $700-$800. Twice to three times as much, but 6x more useability. The Tamron/6.9? I see no reason to consider that except for something to play with if it is dirt cheap. The SP 31A is far superior optically, and the 6.9 has all the same disadvantages. If you don't get that extra stop or so, I don't see the point.
Your comments are pretty much spot on. Balance is an issue without a good Acro plate and a gimbal mount. I set the gimball to have the pivot slightly above the center of gravity of the lens and camera, which over compensates a little for change in length and balance point when you focus in. The result is the camera generally will return to level when you let go, as opposed to being uncontrollable, with a little drag on the pivot it remains pretty stable and stays put when you let go, but at about 3 kilos, and off balance, a. Two ring MF zoom is really tripod bound.