Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problem with 16-50mm

I'm having problem with DA 16-50 mm lens...typical SDM failure. Contacted CRIS in Arizona, USA, and was told only one place can now repair lenses in the US. They are located in CT and extremely expensive. Any one know of an alternative for lens repairs.

03-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulromero Quote
I'm having problem with DA 16-50 mm lens...typical SDM failure. Contacted CRIS in Arizona, USA, and was told only one place can now repair lenses in the US. They are located in CT and extremely expensive. Any one know of an alternative for lens repairs.
That would be Precision Camera Repair: Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

Ricoh canceled their contract with CRIS and moved everything to Precision. Personally I liked CRIS and have not had a good experience with Precision. However, there is no choice. As to pricing, that's sounds like sour grapes at CRIS I did not see any difference in pricing. Just go to the web site and fill everything out to get a 'quote' then print the ticket and mail everything off to Precision. You can follow the progress on the website. It also says you can sign up for email updates but that has not worked for me. They do not answer the phone or reply to emails so the only way to see what is happening is from the website.

I was finally able to get ahold of precision only by emailing Ricoh directly and asking them to intervene. That did light a fire and I got a response from Precision a few days later.
03-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

There are many success stories converting this lens to screwdrive - it may not be silent, but it's free!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html

I personally have been using a screwdrive converted 16-50 (bought it already converted from a fellow forum member), and it's been working great!
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johndny Quote
There are many success stories converting this lens to screwdrive - it may not be silent, but it's free!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html

I personally have been using a screwdrive converted 16-50 (bought it already converted from a fellow forum member), and it's been working great!
After two SDM failures, and "fixed" by Pentax Canada, I had mine finally converted to screw drive and I am now a happy camper!
You should perhaps consider this vs. the cost of the SDM repair .... just a suggestion.

JP

03-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What serial number is your lens? Specific ranges of numbers had high failure rates. Nobody is certain on PF if the problem was resolved on newer copies. Recommend you list your lens serial number on the Serial Number Database here on the Forum (click on Lenses on top menu, then on serial Number Database). Data from you and others Members help us all make informed buying choices.
03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Another solution would be to switch to the Sigma 17-50mm, which is already cheaper to begin with

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm working on consolidating info on the sdm to screw drive conversion options so feel free to reach out. I may have stumbled across the answer already.

03-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm working on consolidating info on the sdm to screw drive conversion options so feel free to reach out. I may have stumbled across the answer already.
I would be interested in this, just in case. Is there a way to do this with a k-3?
03-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Here in Brazil Hoya Pentax ended the contract with the technical assistance. The manager continues atentendo not affiliated with the Pentax, but no new spare parts.

In Brazil, many SDM lenses, which are possible conversion Sergio technical assistance of new life to them

Recommend converting the SDM lens or have the option of a Tamron 17 50.
03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would be interested in this, just in case. Is there a way to do this with a k-3?
I'm not aware of a k3 option that works but I may have overlooked it. Pktether works on k5's so it might be possible.
03-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paulromero Quote
Yup, I sent in my 50-135mm (first SDM problem?) as well as my 16-50mm for its 4th SDM and still haven't heard of the results. I wrote a little letter to the chiefs at the Canadian office in Toronto. It seems that in Canada the main Pentax (?) shop is where SDMs are sent because there is a major change to the system. I'll certainly let everyone know about the outcome. The alternative is that I will never buy an SDM ever again...I'll certainly disabled them in the mean time...if nothing else is broken inside them? Lesson learned: I waited too long now for comfort and the alternative might very well be Sigma as Adam says....or Tamron, period.

Last edited by Rnovo; 03-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
03-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Out of interest how long have you had the lens? Do you remember if Hoya was on the packaging?
03-18-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Out of interest how long have you had the lens? Do you remember if Hoya was on the packaging?
The DA* 16-50mm (serial # 9019095) I bought new at Prodigital on April 4, 2008 - can't remember if it was Hoya on the packging; The DA* 50-135mm lens (Serial # 9297174) I bought new at B&H in November 26, 2012 because of a big rebate.
03-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You don't need pk_tether or any other software to do the conversion.

You can activate Debug mode just by putting a file on your SD card and turning the camera on with the card door open.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/273233-pentax-k-3-debug-menu-fyi.html

Then it's just a matter of hitting a couple of buttons so it writes the lens data to the card, taking out the card, modifying the lens data file, putting the card back in, and hitting a couple buttons to update the lens data on the lens.

Basically, follow the link above, then the latter half of step 2 (lens rom to SD card) and all of step 3 and 4 here:
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

Then you can format the SD card or whatever if you want to avoid accidentally going into debug mode later on.

Just make sure you save an unmodified backup of the lens file in case you mess up something.

The instructions work for 16-50 and 50-135, but they do NOT work on the 60-250. I ended up with the screw drive and the SDM apparently fighting each other on mine, and missed a bunch of shots of the police raiding a house across the street because of it
(couple of roommates got into an argument and a small handgun was fired, one guy's arm was grazed.)
03-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
You don't need pk_tether or any other software to do the conversion.

You can activate Debug mode just by putting a file on your SD card and turning the camera on with the card door open.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/273233-pentax-k-3-debug-menu-fyi.html

Then it's just a matter of hitting a couple of buttons so it writes the lens data to the card, taking out the card, modifying the lens data file, putting the card back in, and hitting a couple buttons to update the lens data on the lens.

Basically, follow the link above, then the latter half of step 2 (lens rom to SD card) and all of step 3 and 4 here:
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX

Then you can format the SD card or whatever if you want to avoid accidentally going into debug mode later on.

Just make sure you save an unmodified backup of the lens file in case you mess up something.

The instructions work for 16-50 and 50-135, but they do NOT work on the 60-250. I ended up with the screw drive and the SDM apparently fighting each other on mine, and missed a bunch of shots of the police raiding a house across the street because of it
(couple of roommates got into an argument and a small handgun was fired, one guy's arm was grazed.)
Have you done this conversion using a K3? My understanding is that like the K30 and K50 the menu item is there but non-functional. I can confirm that a K50 can access debug and that the menu item does nothing. I do not have a K3 so I cannot confirm or deny that it works. The K5 series does appear to work via both PK Tether and rarely via SD Card / Debug.

Reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...K3#post3055697

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-18-2015 at 01:58 PM.