Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33179 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #1546
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Primes Day (NPD)

As I said in the new acquisition thread... I didn't really need these lenses. I have great lenses at 24mm and 28mm already. But I always wanted to get a proper Tokina 24 2.8 since my Tokina-made Rokinon had optical issues. And since free shipping was only over 50 dollars, I had to add the SMC-M 28 3.5 otherwise I'd have to pay shipping lol

Here are the lenses...

They both seem to be color monsters. No surprise, my Tokina-made Rokinon, though it was an older model with older coatings (and better build), also had very nice colors. And a lot of people seem to like the SMC-M 28 3.5 almost or even just as much as the legendary SMC-K 28 3.5. So with that in mind, I had to at least test them... forgive me for the boring subjects.

SMC Pentax-M 28 3.5 @f/5.6 (straight out of camera, no processing other than whatever flickr does to it when it uploads)

Tokina 24 2.8 @ f4 (straight out of camera again)

And with a little help from Analog Efex Pro:

When using the lenses I found something the seller failed to disclose... the Tokina's actually a Ricoh mount lens with the Ricoh pin. And it's not a benign pin like the one I had in my Ricoh lenses. This is the evil one... in fact the lens won't even mount properly (thankfully - that is better than getting stuck). I had to use it like an M42 lens without engaging it all the way. But considering what I paid for it, I won't return it, no sir I'll just get that pin out, others here have done it.

All in all, still pretty happy. Oh and that Tokina has NO dust inside, save one tiny one I had a hard time to find... it's like it was never used!

04-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #1547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
All in all, still pretty happy.
Congrats - looks like you got a couple winners. I love my M28/3.5 and think you will too. Great colors and sharpness but not really a bokeh monster. The Tokina looks good as well. It's a simple job to remove the Ricoh pin, btw - but if you're feeling lazy you can just file/grind it off, or epoxy it flush with the mount.

Little bridge with the Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm:
04-21-2017, 04:57 AM   #1548
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
New Primes Day (NPD)

As I said in the new acquisition thread... I didn't really need these lenses. I have great lenses at 24mm and 28mm already. But I always wanted to get a proper Tokina 24 2.8 since my Tokina-made Rokinon had optical issues. And since free shipping was only over 50 dollars, I had to add the SMC-M 28 3.5 otherwise I'd have to pay shipping lol

Here are the lenses...

They both seem to be color monsters. No surprise, my Tokina-made Rokinon, though it was an older model with older coatings (and better build), also had very nice colors. And a lot of people seem to like the SMC-M 28 3.5 almost or even just as much as the legendary SMC-K 28 3.5. So with that in mind, I had to at least test them... forgive me for the boring subjects.

SMC Pentax-M 28 3.5 @f/5.6 (straight out of camera, no processing other than whatever flickr does to it when it uploads)

Tokina 24 2.8 @ f4 (straight out of camera again)

And with a little help from Analog Efex Pro:

When using the lenses I found something the seller failed to disclose... the Tokina's actually a Ricoh mount lens with the Ricoh pin. And it's not a benign pin like the one I had in my Ricoh lenses. This is the evil one... in fact the lens won't even mount properly (thankfully - that is better than getting stuck). I had to use it like an M42 lens without engaging it all the way. But considering what I paid for it, I won't return it, no sir I'll just get that pin out, others here have done it.

All in all, still pretty happy. Oh and that Tokina has NO dust inside, save one tiny one I had a hard time to find... it's like it was never used!
congrats on the new lenses - they look like they will work out well for you...

my new lens should be here today, but it's a manual zoom not a prime, so not for this thread...

(:
04-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #1549
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congrats on the new lenses - they look like they will work out well for you...

my new lens should be here today, but it's a manual zoom not a prime, so not for this thread...

(:
Not fair, you still have to tell us what it is

04-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #1550
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ah - it's a Tamron 44A (28-70mm f3.5-4.5), just a mid-range zoom to keep my LBA at bay....
04-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #1551
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with DA 14mm f2.8 ED (IF)

typical spring storms yesterday:

04-21-2017, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #1552
Pentaxian

So, lens update... there's good news and bad news regarding the Tokina 24 2.8.

I was able to take out the Ricoh pin and saved it so that if I ever needed it, I would have it. Good news, right?

So when I was about to put the lens mount back, I did something wrong obviously, and the aperture ring just popped out. With it, one or two tiny things popped out which fell... in the carpet. Never to be found again...As a consequence, now I have a clickless aperture 24 2.8... and the step between the A setting and the aperture values doesn't have a stop anymore - nor does the lens stay in A until you press the little button. It just comes in and out of A effortlessly.

However, some more good news: it still works in A mode (I wasn't sure since it even did, since it had the Ricoh pin!) and stops down the lens properly in all modes. So as long as I leave it on A and don't touch the aperture ring, I'm basically fine...

I also did an infinity focus test and the lens isn't quite as sharp as the Cosina (branded Vivitar) 24 2.8 that I have. But it's sharp enough I think. It wasn't a scientific test, just an overall impression.

Another thing that is very interesting to me: other than the coatings, the Cosina and the Tokina are identical. I mean, looking at the glass from different angles to see the reflections of the internal elements, looking at the lens dimensions, the focus ring throw and feel, everything is exactly t he same. So my guess is that they shared a design, like they shared the 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 design which also only differs in the external materials and the coating, with the Tokina having the better build and coatings. In the case of the 24 2.8, they seem equivalent in build quality as well.

04-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #1553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ah - it's a Tamron 44A (28-70mm f3.5-4.5), just a mid-range zoom to keep my LBA at bay....
By the way, these old Tamrons have a good reputation... let's see how you like it. Considering your good results with that A 35-70 f4, I'd say it would need to be very good in order to stay in your collection
04-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #1554
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so far, so good - it is a tad soft for my liking wide open, but narrow it down to f5.6 or f8 and it is very nice....

I'll be posting some shots over in the Manual Focus club, the Adaptall club, and the Tammy club...
04-21-2017, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #1555

While on the "New World Record" waste of time conference call today, I played with the M 50 1:4 Macro. Balsa Wood Roses, and a bottle we found in the Islands.

I need to use my M lenses more often!

04-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #1556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
I need to use my M lenses more often!
Absolutely - nice shots

One of the last images taken with my now-broken Vivitar 19/3.8
04-23-2017, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #1557
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter