Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33185 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 05:19 AM - 4 Likes   #3556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Samples with K-1 and Canon FL 55mm f 1.2

A few morning views with the K-1 and (remounted) Canon-FL 55mm f 1.2. This lens gives me a higher percentage of keepers than any other lens with possible exception of Pentax-D FA 645 90mm f 2.8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-21-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #3557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
A few morning views with the K-1 and (remounted) Canon-FL 55mm f 1.2. This lens gives me a higher percentage of keepers than any other lens with possible exception of Pentax-D FA 645 90mm f 2.8.
I have and love the 58mm FL f1.2! I am still using it for film on my Canon FT QL, EF and F1. Intrigued to see you get your 55mm converted to Pentax. Have you retained auto diaphram and does it still focus to infinity and no further? If, following conversion, you retain full functionality I might be tempted to go for a K1 sometime.

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
1 you folks are definitely not helping my LBA - especially with regard to the Pentax DA 35 F 2.8 macro limited

2 I like this lens

SOOC

in tight - crop and pp
I am not a 35mm fan on APSc, much preferring a 28mm or 50mm. But, the HD DA 35 is a special lens which encourages use despite it being the "wrong" focal length. So, if you like 35mm on APSc, get one and you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by richard0170; 06-21-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Adjust my comment
06-21-2018, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #3558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I have and love the 58mm FL f1.2! I am still using it for film on my Canon FT QL, EF and F1. Intrigued to see you get your 55mm converted to Pentax. Have you retained auto diaphram and does it still focus to infinity and no further? If, following conversion, you retain full functionality I might be tempted to go for a K1 sometime.

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 09:49 AM ----------

I am not a 35mm fan on APSc, much preferring a 28mm or 50mm. But, the HD DA 35 is a special lens which encourages use despite it being the "wrong" focal length. So, if you like 35mm on APSc, get one and you will not be disappointed.
Thanks for your comments. As remounted, my Canon-FL 55mm f 1.2 operates like this:

1. FOCUS. Manual focus, of course, but quite easy to achieve focus on the K-1. The K-1 focussing aids seem to work well with this lens,.i.e., focussing light inside the viewfinder combined with the audible beep AND catch-in-focus, which works well though I am not quite enthusiastic about this feature myself.

2. APERTURE. The remounted lens works like a pre-set lens, and there is no automatic aperture stop down. Once you have set the aperture, you can focus with the lens wide open, and then turn a separate ring to stop the lens down to the selected aperture.

3. SHOOTING MODES. The lens can be used either in M (manual) mode or Av (aperture priority) mode. I frequently do use Av, which works quite well on the K-1.

COMMENT: The mount conversion has given me a lens that works well with my Pentax full-frame and crop sensor cameras. Image quality is as good as I recall achieving on my old Canon F-1 cameras. The keeper rate using Av mode with aperture closed down during focussing works very well for me. This morning, out of around 100 shots, I only lost 3-4 shots because of faulty exposure or missed focus, although I was shooting with large apertures (f 1.2, 2.0, 2.8, and 4.0), simplifying the focussing process by avoiding the necessity of stopping down after achieving focus, a practice that I have always avoided as being somewhat awkward.

My lens has also been cosmetically freshened by a silvering job, so the lens stands out well and is quite attractive.

I hope these comments will be helpful.
06-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #3559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thanks for your comments. As remounted, my Canon-FL 55mm f 1.2 operates like this:

1. FOCUS. Manual focus, of course, but quite easy to achieve focus on the K-1. The K-1 focussing aids seem to work well with this lens,.i.e., focussing light inside the viewfinder combined with the audible beep AND catch-in-focus, which works well though I am not quite enthusiastic about this feature myself.

2. APERTURE. The remounted lens works like a pre-set lens, and there is no automatic aperture stop down. Once you have set the aperture, you can focus with the lens wide open, and then turn a separate ring to stop the lens down to the selected aperture.

3. SHOOTING MODES. The lens can be used either in M (manual) mode or Av (aperture priority) mode. I frequently do use Av, which works quite well on the K-1.

COMMENT: The mount conversion has given me a lens that works well with my Pentax full-frame and crop sensor cameras. Image quality is as good as I recall achieving on my old Canon F-1 cameras. The keeper rate using Av mode with aperture closed down during focussing works very well for me. This morning, out of around 100 shots, I only lost 3-4 shots because of faulty exposure or missed focus, although I was shooting with large apertures (f 1.2, 2.0, 2.8, and 4.0), simplifying the focussing process by avoiding the necessity of stopping down after achieving focus, a practice that I have always avoided as being somewhat awkward.

My lens has also been cosmetically freshened by a silvering job, so the lens stands out well and is quite attractive.

I hope these comments will be helpful.
Thanks for the info. The lack of auto diaphram puts me off the conversion. So I'll stick to using it on the old Canon gear.

06-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #3560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Thanks for the info. The lack of auto diaphram puts me off the conversion. So I'll stick to using it on the old Canon gear.
Great. Glad I could help.
06-21-2018, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #3561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taken on an evening in early June - A35/2.8 on *ist D:
06-21-2018, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K20D with DA 70

06-22-2018, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #3563
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

06-22-2018, 02:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3564
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

there was also a sunset last night:

and a selfie:

06-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #3565
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
1 you folks are definitely not helping my LBA - especially with regard to the Pentax DA 35 F 2.8 macro limited
good - I'm here to help....

(:
06-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #3566
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Love the second, less saturated frog shot

thank you - I was surprised to see how grey the second frog was....
06-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #3567
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
good - I'm here to help....

(:
any monetary contribution will be accepted

or did you mean you were sending me your DA 35mm F2.8 macro limited for free?
06-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #3568
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
any monetary contribution will be accepted

or did you mean you were sending me your DA 35mm F2.8 macro limited for free?

well.. maybe not that much help....
06-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #3569
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
well.. maybe not that much help....
I will accept anything

even good thoughts

now trying to find one I can afford, probably a smc any problem with that ?
06-22-2018, 03:09 AM   #3570
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will accept anything

even good thoughts

now trying to find one I can afford, probably a smc any problem with that ?

I was shopping for an SMC (not an HD) because of the price point, but found this HD for less than $250, so I jumped....