Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33185 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2018, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #3586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
same here - I also do searches for photos by specific lenses on Flickr....
Very interesting idea. A quick try at that yielded some interesting results!

06-23-2018, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #3587
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
same here - I also do searches for photos by specific lenses on Flickr....
And yet, when a forum member posts a blind comparison between lenses, I often have a hard time telling a 50$ from a 500$ lens...
Apart from obvious, easily measurable things like the number of aperture blades, maybe much of the difference is in how a lens performs over a wide range of situations.

I have no problems getting nice pictures from the 18-55mm, but that's because I use it at least at f/8, if not f/9.5 - unless the alternative is to raise ISO over 1600, in which case even wide open is fine.
People get to know their lenses over time. You look on Flickr and get a hand-picked selection

Then there's the subject, the light, the camera you used...

So, I don't know... this whole lens business is difficult to understand well...
06-23-2018, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3588
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
And yet, when a forum member posts a blind comparison between lenses, I often have a hard time telling a 50$ from a 500$ lens...
Apart from obvious, easily measurable things like the number of aperture blades, maybe much of the difference is in how a lens performs over a wide range of situations.

I have no problems getting nice pictures from the 18-55mm, but that's because I use it at least at f/8, if not f/9.5 - unless the alternative is to raise ISO over 1600, in which case even wide open is fine.
People get to know their lenses over time. You look on Flickr and get a hand-picked selection

but then you have to get into the entire experience of using the lens - I bought my K-50 with two kit lenses; I used the 18-55 in a Singles challenge one month and sold it immediately following that because I did not care for how the lens felt when I used it (build quality, etc)...

I look at shots on Flickr for the possibilities of that lens - what can I do with it if I work hard enough, what kind of bokeh should I expect with it, how fine/sharp are the details, things that aren't always evident from a user review here on PF...

I know that shots on Flickr are usually picked by the shooter to show their best side, and there's always the bias of that shooter's post-processing (mine tends to be dark and moody), but a wide range of shots can give you an impression of the lens' capabilities...

but then, it's all subjective anyways... my visual candy isn't your cuppa tea, etc...
06-23-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #3589
Veteran Member

but then you have to get into the entire experience of using the lens - I bought my K-50 with two kit lenses; I used the 18-55 in a Singles challenge one month and sold it immediately following that because I did not care for how the lens felt when I used it (build quality, etc)...

I look at shots on Flickr for the possibilities of that lens - what can I do with it if I work hard enough, what kind of bokeh should I expect with it, how fine/sharp are the details, things that aren't always evident from a user review here on PF...

I know that shots on Flickr are usually picked by the shooter to show their best side, and there's always the bias of that shooter's post-processing (mine tends to be dark and moody), but a wide range of shots can give you an impression of the lens' capabilities...

but then, it's all subjective anyways... my visual candy isn't your cuppa tea, etc...
...if it wasn't, it would be much more boring, and there would be less discussion!

06-23-2018, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #3590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And that is a challenge of having input from a large and varied number of people. So you read all of the info. and try to absorb that, pick out a lens (or 3), buy it and try it. Some lenses are love at first sight and some are a labor of love. And there are some that I just haven't liked at all. Then you sell, buy and try more lenses. But I guess that is part of the fun of it.

When I first got into photography (late 1970's) I didn't have any money, so I used what I had (started with just a nifty 50 and a 135mm). And I managed to make some good photos. I guess from that perspective every lens I have is capable of taking good, interesting or artistic photos. Maybe the problem after a while is just having too many lenses Oh well, what is a guy to do?
06-23-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #3591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
And that is a challenge of having input from a large and varied number of people. So you read all of the info. and try to absorb that, pick out a lens (or 3), buy it and try it. Some lenses are love at first sight and some are a labor of love. And there are some that I just haven't liked at all. Then you sell, buy and try more lenses. But I guess that is part of the fun of it.

When I first got into photography (late 1970's) I didn't have any money, so I used what I had (started with just a nifty 50 and a 135mm). And I managed to make some good photos. I guess from that perspective every lens I have is capable of taking good, interesting or artistic photos. Maybe the problem after a while is just having too many lenses Oh well, what is a guy to do?
Hahaha exactly!
I'm all for "make do" with what I have - that doesn't mean I don't like to sneak in the occasional purchase now and then
06-23-2018, 08:44 AM - 5 Likes   #3592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another from yesterday with the K 55 f/1.8.

06-23-2018, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3593
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

believe it or not

it may come down to the knowledge, skill and expertise of the photographer

rather than the equipment used

[ of course, I may be " preaching to the choir " ]
06-23-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #3594
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
believe it or not

06-23-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #3595
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
believe it or not

Oh you would have to remind us of that
06-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #3596
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
would you prefer chattering at the peanut gallery?

or pearls before swine?

(:
06-23-2018, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #3597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
exactly this ^^

A couple early attempts with the A50/2.8 macro:

Last edited by paulh; 06-23-2018 at 10:51 AM.
06-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #3598
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
looking good, Paul - hope to see more soon...
06-24-2018, 04:54 AM - 4 Likes   #3599
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

the more I use this lens, the more it impresses me:

06-24-2018, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking good, Paul - hope to see more soon...
Thanks, and nice work yourself!

A couple more non-macro shots with the A50 macro: