Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #3616
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Some of our blossoms with prime lens experimental kit--K-1 with Pentax-A 645 35mm f 3.5 adapted to K-mount use.

NOTE: With this lens, I treated the K-1 cropping feature as a sort of zoom lens switch, moving from FF to crop sensor framing as needed. I love using these big 645 lenses on the K-1. The 35mm is a great medium format landscape lens, and I expected super sharpness in my flower photography. What I found, however, is something a little different: a deep, smooth saturated and natural fullness of image combined with excellent sharpness, but not the super sharpness that some photographers nowadays seem to favor, what you get with the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro, for example. Comments/observations invited.
You're right about it, rendering is something special, especially in saturated colors.
The yellows in the first image are rich and satisfying, and the purples in the last one are rich in detail, while it's generally not uncommon to see reds and purples become saturated to the point of clipping (with the ensuing total loss of detail).
So truly a photographer's lens (and a photographer's eye as well, of course)

06-25-2018, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3617
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
a very brief update:

the big brown truck dropped off my Spiratone 28/2 today, fresh from a CLA/repair from Advance Camera (Portland, OR) - once again, they've done wonders with a lens.....

pics coming soon....
06-25-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3618
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a very brief update:

the big brown truck dropped off my Spiratone 28/2 today, fresh from a CLA/repair from Advance Camera (Portland, OR) - once again, they've done wonders with a lens.....

pics coming soon....
you gotta post photos to prove it exists

don't forget the SMU
06-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #3619
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you gotta post photos to prove it exists

don't forget the SMU
that already happened in the recent acquisition thread - back about June 4th or so...

06-25-2018, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #3620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
You have a beautiful garden. My wife and I have recently moved to a new place that had been neglected for years. Excited that we're starting with a clean slate but neither one of us can run a shovel as fast as we used to.
Thank you very much. Gardening is our full time retirement avocation, plus we have a half-time gardener to help with the heavy stuff! At the mature age of 78, I like a nap afternoons. Gardening and photography make nice complementary hobbies. I sometimes find myself selecting new flower varieties/colors for the garden based upon what they will add to my photography repertoire.
06-25-2018, 05:46 PM - 5 Likes   #3621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flowers from our garden with K-1 and A-645 35mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You're right about it, rendering is something special, especially in saturated colors.
The yellows in the first image are rich and satisfying, and the purples in the last one are rich in detail, while it's generally not uncommon to see reds and purples become saturated to the point of clipping (with the ensuing total loss of detail).
So truly a photographer's lens (and a photographer's eye as well, of course)

Thanks for your comments. I am no lens experts, though I have a few of them. Your evaluations parallel my own, and I will certainly try this experimental kit again even though the focal length is a bit trying at times for flowers and takes some tinkering around with. Here are a few more snaps from this morning's outing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-25-2018, 05:49 PM - 7 Likes   #3622
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with Spiratone Plura-Coat 28mm f2

here we go...

at first blush - there is definitely some potential here; I'm not sure how great the coatings are as far as strong lighting, but there's color rendition, clarity, sharpness....

I think as I get to terms with it, this may be a surprise gem of a lens....

06-25-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #3623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone else use a tele prime + teleconverter for portraits? A* 300mm + f 1.7x AF, handheld. Cross-post from manual focus challenge.

06-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #3624
Veteran Member

a very brief update:

pics coming soon....
Small World ! That's who I sent my SMCK 20mm to ! Unfortunately.....just found out today....she isn't repairable.

Very nice images with the Spiratone BTW....very nice.
06-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #3625
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Small World ! That's who I sent my SMCK 20mm to ! Unfortunately.....just found out today....she isn't repairable.

Very nice images with the Spiratone BTW....very nice.

thank you - I'm sorry to read about your K20, however... what had happened to it?
06-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #3626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Some of our blossoms with prime lens experimental kit--K-1 with Pentax-A 645 35mm f 3.5 adapted to K-mount use.
NOTE: With this lens, I treated the K-1 cropping feature as a sort of zoom lens switch, moving from FF to crop sensor framing as needed. I love using these big 645 lenses on the K-1. The 35mm is a great medium format landscape lens, and I expected super sharpness in my flower photography. What I found, however, is something a little different: a deep, smooth saturated and natural fullness of image combined with excellent sharpness, but not the super sharpness that some photographers nowadays seem to favor, what you get with the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro, for example. Comments/observations invited.
Very Nice Combination Indeed !

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 18:05 ----------

thank you - I'm sorry to read about your K20, however... what had happened to it?
Cleaning my bedroom....it rolled off the dresser while I was vacuuming . The Hard ceramic tile floor didn't help to softened the blow.....lol.
06-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #3627
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ouch...
06-25-2018, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #3628
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

06-25-2018, 06:50 PM - 6 Likes   #3629
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited

but I was genuinely surprised here:

mockingbirds are quite territorial, especially when nesting - the pair will strafe you until you get away from the nesting area....
06-25-2018, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #3630
Veteran Member

but I was genuinely surprised here:

mockingbirds are quite territorial, especially when nesting - the pair will strafe you until you get away from the nesting area....
You are enabling my possible next lens purchase with images like this ! Thanks ! Really.