Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33237 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #7006
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Where do you get your tame dragonflies from?

funny thing about that blue dragon (I do not know the species of our dragonflies); I was shooting a wasp (which did not turn out) when I saw a blur out of the corner of my eye - this dragon had landed nearly on me (that shot is not cropped at all) and did not mind me turning a smidge to shoot him....

there are a couple of species of dragons that do not mind me getting close for shots, while a couple of the others will not settle at all if I'm anywhere near them...

07-17-2019, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #7007
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR

sunflower kick

07-17-2019, 02:59 AM - 8 Likes   #7008
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR

07-17-2019, 05:31 AM - 3 Likes   #7009
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Glad to see someone else playing with the Rikenon XR lenses ! Whats your overall thoughts on not only the 135mm/2.8 , but also the seldom seen 35mm/2.8 ?
Just curious as I think the 35mm is actually pretty decent , but never played with the 135mm because of poor reviews.
Thanks - I wasn't looking to acquire neither the 135/2.8 or 35/2.8 - they were part of a bundle that came in with the XR 50/2 (the three lenses I got for about $26 with shipping so, I reckon it was a good deal).

Now, the 50/2 is as sharp as advertised, but similar to other 50s I have...

The 135/2.8 - the reviews do not "lie", a bit harsh maybe. I would not go out of my way to get this lens. Not worth paying over $35 for it as there are so many 135mm/2.8 out there that could out perform (Super-tak 135/3.5 would beat this to the ground, and can be purchased cheaply). It has a small hood that may not do much but at least it's there.

I shoot 135mms mostly for flowers... For the XR - wide open it is soft, bokeh example below (one shot I already had posted here, sorry for redundance):

And one stop down ruins the bokeh balls... no half stops:

NOW - the 35/2.8 = that one surpirsed me a whole lot! Good colors, great built, sharp... Haven't shot isolated subjects so I cannot speak of bokeh. I do like the results from it better than my M 35/2.8... SMC Tak 35/3.5 I believe is still my favorite overall 35mm one. The XR very likely my second. I couldn't tell which one is "better" out of the two, but the XR 35/2.8 was a pretty cool find.

07-17-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #7010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Thanks - I wasn't looking to acquire neither the 135/2.8 or 35/2.8 - they were part of a bundle that came in with the XR 50/2 (the three lenses I got for about $26 with shipping so, I reckon it was a good deal).

Now, the 50/2 is as sharp as advertised, but similar to other 50s I have...

The 135/2.8 - the reviews do not "lie", a bit harsh maybe. I would not go out of my way to get this lens. Not worth paying over $35 for it as there are so many 135mm/2.8 out there that could out perform (Super-tak 135/3.5 would beat this to the ground, and can be purchased cheaply). It has a small hood that may not do much but at least it's there.

I shoot 135mms mostly for flowers... For the XR - wide open it is soft, bokeh example below (one shot I already had posted here, sorry for redundance):

And one stop down ruins the bokeh balls... no half stops:

NOW - the 35/2.8 = that one surpirsed me a whole lot! Good colors, great built, sharp... Haven't shot isolated subjects so I cannot speak of bokeh. I do like the results from it better than my M 35/2.8... SMC Tak 35/3.5 I believe is still my favorite overall 35mm one. The XR very likely my second. I couldn't tell which one is "better" out of the two, but the XR 35/2.8 was a pretty cool find.
I have never used any of my 135s for flowers. Thanks for the hint, however, and now I will have to try them on some of my blossoms.
07-17-2019, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #7011
Pentaxian

Good to know - I'll have to give a go with my SMC M135/3.5!
07-17-2019, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #7012
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have never used any of my 135s for flowers. Thanks for the hint, however, and now I will have to try them on some of my blossoms.
I like it because I do not have to get too close, especially when there is a nice enough background to create some good off focus content.

Now, mind you I only shoot cropped... Thus the crop factor makes the space of the image for a 135 quite small - hence good for isolating a small but not tiny element (like a rose or hibiscus).

You shooting medium and ff might change the 135 approach, but hey, I'd try it anyhow...

Off topic, but some of my favorite baby-baby portrait pictures I got of my daughter I took with a 28mm, very close to her obviously, but baby-babies cannot go off running - my point, even if it is not meant for the purpose, it is worth trying. There are always nice surprises here and there.

07-17-2019, 08:35 AM - 3 Likes   #7013
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it because I do not have to get too close, especially when there is a nice enough background to create some good off focus content.

Now, mind you I only shoot cropped... Thus the crop factor makes the space of the image for a 135 quite small - hence good for isolating a small but not tiny element (like a rose or hibiscus).

You shooting medium and ff might change the 135 approach, but hey, I'd try it anyhow...

Off topic, but some of my favorite baby-baby portrait pictures I got of my daughter I took with a 28mm, very close to her obviously, but baby-babies cannot go off running - my point, even if it is not meant for the purpose, it is worth trying. There are always nice surprises here and there.
I use lots of different lenses for flowers but never a full-frame 135mm. S0 . . . you inspired me to try out my Takumar bayonet 135mm f 2.5, and I think the results are encouraging. Now I will have to systematically work myself through my set of 135mm lenses to see which works best.

KIT K-1 with Takumarf (bayonet) 135mm f 2.5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-17-2019, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #7014
Pentaxian

use lots of different lenses for flowers but never a full-frame 135mm. S0 . . . you inspired me to try out my Takumar bayonet 135mm f 2.5, and I think the results are encouraging. Now I will have to systematically work myself through my set of 135mm lenses to see which works best.KIT K-1 with Takumarf (bayonet) 135mm f 2.5.
That Bayonet Tak shows nice reds and greens... I have the 2.8 version and I like it.

It seems that you're already really comfortable with the 135mm range and the subjects... lovely shots, that last one is a joy!
07-17-2019, 10:05 AM - 3 Likes   #7015
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Bayonet Tak shows nice reds and greens... I have the 2.8 version and I like it.

It seems that you're already really comfortable with the 135mm range and the subjects... lovely shots, that last one is a joy!
Thank you. I was pleased with these too particularly the OOF/bokeh smoothness and color rendering. I use two different approaches to flower photography--this approach of using moderate telephoto lenses and standing back from the subjects and using a wide angle lens with good "minimum focal distance" and coming in real close. My favorite using the latter approach is the Pentax 67 55mm f 4.0 with MFD of about 10 inches. The 55mm is extremely sharp and captures fantastic amounts of detail, but the 135mm offers excellent/artistic rendering in the OOF/BK department.
07-17-2019, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #7016
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wind in the willows - Super Tak 28/3.5 on *ist D:
07-18-2019, 07:31 AM - 4 Likes   #7017
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto Sears MC 135mm f 2.8.

I love it when the cheapest prime in the lens cabinet produces passable images.

KIT: K-1 with Auto Sears MC 135mm f 2.8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-18-2019, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #7018
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

quite passable... helps that the person behind the camera knows what he's doing, too....
07-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #7019
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the "MC" (Multi-Coated) marking, I assume you have one of the two Korean-made Sears 135s. The one with Macro mode is prized for its bokeh. I had a copy of the other Korean one that, unfortunately, had its aperture stuck wide open. If you like yours, also keep a watch for the earlier Japanese-made Auto Sears f/2.8 135mm, very highly rated by those who've reviewed it and not merely as good for its price:

Auto Sears 135mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

You'll probably only find it in m42 mount, but no problem if you have the adapter. I have one, and the reviewers are right about its Takumar-like build quality. After the Korean copy I had came apart when I was trying to unstick its aperture, the Japanese one is the only Pentax-compatible 135 I have, and I can't think of a good reason to get another 135.
07-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #7020
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
With the "MC" (Multi-Coated) marking, I assume you have one of the two Korean-made Sears 135s. The one with Macro mode is prized for its bokeh. I had a copy of the other Korean one that, unfortunately, had its aperture stuck wide open. If you like yours, also keep a watch for the earlier Japanese-made Auto Sears f/2.8 135mm, very highly rated by those who've reviewed it and not merely as good for its price:

Auto Sears 135mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

You'll probably only find it in m42 mount, but no problem if you have the adapter. I have one, and the reviewers are right about its Takumar-like build quality. After the Korean copy I had came apart when I was trying to unstick its aperture, the Japanese one is the only Pentax-compatible 135 I have, and I can't think of a good reason to get another 135.
thanks for the info. I will surf through eBay to see what I can find.

---------- Post added 07-18-19 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
quite passable... helps that the person behind the camera knows what he's doing, too....
Thanks for the flattery. :>)

---------- Post added 07-18-19 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Thanks for the flattery. :>)