Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33244 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #12226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

I think there's versions I, II and III of that lens... any idea what you have?

I'm fairly intrigued by these TT Artisans and similar lenses, they seem to be made with an "old soul"... I like that.
And I'm looking forward to what you think of the mighty 31mmm Limited...

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Yashica ML 50/2 on K-S1 + AF 360FGZ

Same lens without the flash...

Wow, that lens seems fantastic... did you do a lot of PP for contrast and sharpening, or is this mostly what the lens gives you?

02-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #12227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Wow, that lens seems fantastic... did you do a lot of PP for contrast and sharpening, or is this mostly what the lens gives you?
The flower - +2 on contrast.
The BW - +17 on contrast (as it is a BW photo I add a bit more, usual recipe)

Both have the same minimal bump in sharpness - same amount given to all my photos.

I do play w the lights and shadows in an overall sense, with out any concentrated/area specific edit.

The BW is a tight crop - I had her whole face on the right side of the frame. The RAW image was insanely sharp to begin with, I was surprised when looking at it in the camera's LCD.

I do think that the Flash helped tons with the good contrast already present in the BW... I was able to shoot indoors at f/8 1/60th sec at ISO 100 because of the flash unit.
02-22-2021, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #12228
Pentaxian

The flower - +2 on contrast.
The BW - +17 on contrast (as it is a BW photo I add a bit more, usual recipe)

Both have the same minimal bump in sharpness - same amount given to all my photos.

I do play w the lights and shadows in an overall sense, with out any concentrated/area specific edit.

The BW is a tight crop - I had her whole face on the right side of the frame. The RAW image was insanely sharp to begin with, I was surprised when looking at it in the camera's LCD.

I do think that the Flash helped tons with the good contrast already present in the BW... I was able to shoot indoors at f/8 1/60th sec at ISO 100 because of the flash unit.
Thank you... that is a great lens worth looking for (if one shoots M42). Like the Rikenon 50mm f2, an unexpectedly sharp low end lens from the manual era.
02-22-2021, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #12229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

insanely sharp
No kidding! Nice work.

02-22-2021, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #12230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a late afternoon rain - Super Tak 105/2.8 on K10D (xposted)

Tangle Bog - SMC Tak 55/1.8 on *ist D:
02-22-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #12231
Pentaxian

Thank you... that is a great lens worth looking for (if one shoots M42). Like the Rikenon 50mm f2, an unexpectedly sharp low end lens from the manual era.
A great lens indeed... I have it on C/Y mount... There is one in KEH for $22 right now... I use it with the adaptist mount and the K-S1. I've sadly never seen these on M42, otherwise I'd pounce.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
No kidding! Nice work.
Ha... thank you - believe me, I was really surprised at the macro-like sharpness.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
After a late afternoon rain - Super Tak 105/2.8 on K10D (xposted)
this one renders so beautifully. I was very close to acquire one. But I already have a preset soligor 105/2.8 that compares plenty with this Tak.

Soligor 105mm f/2.8 Tele-Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #12232
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think there's versions I, II and III of that lens... any idea what you have?

I'm fairly intrigued by these TT Artisans and similar lenses, they seem to be made with an "old soul"... I like that.
And I'm looking forward to what you think of the mighty 31mmm Limited...

there are three versions of that Voigtlander - they figured out how to make them lighter and less expensive as time went on; I have Version 1, the heaviest of the series....

I have the 35/1.4 and the 50/1.2 lenses by TT Artisan, and for the price ($78 and $98), you can't beat them....

they are not perfect by any means, but what they are able to put together at that price-point is pretty amazing... I'm tempted by their M-mount lenses, just to see what their quality is like for that lineup....

as far as the FA 31 - I'm a bit hesitant about it; I had the FA 43 and let it go not long after purchasing it.... so, we'll see about another 'legendary' lens in my hands....

02-22-2021, 06:32 PM - 3 Likes   #12233
Pentaxian

Out of boredom I did a lil something here...

Yashica ML 50/2 at f2; f2.8; f4; f5.6

All PP is just matching the exposures as I did not touch anything else on camera. Note - from wide open to the others the camera moved a tad bit... Hence technically the wide open shot was not really at max focus capacity...

f2:

f2.8:

f4:

f5.6:

Not too shabby of a little 50...

By f5.6 it is as sharp a lens as I have Pentax/Taks, IMO...
02-22-2021, 08:22 PM - 4 Likes   #12234
Pentaxian

This copy of the Auto Tak 55 1.8 is really soft wide open (probably the softest tak I own), but the effects are wild. I know people usually don't like busy bokeh but I think it adds such interest to otherwise dull and samey backgrounds.

02-22-2021, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #12235
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f1.4 ZK T*

02-22-2021, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #12236
Pentaxian

there are three versions of that Voigtlander - they figured out how to make them lighter and less expensive as time went on; I have Version 1, the heaviest of the series....
But the first version, as I see it, is already great optically...

QuoteQuote:
I have the 35/1.4 and the 50/1.2 lenses by TT Artisan, and for the price ($78 and $98), you can't beat them....

they are not perfect by any means, but what they are able to put together at that price-point is pretty amazing... I'm tempted by their M-mount lenses, just to see what their quality is like for that lineup....
Indeed, a 50 1.2 lens that is actually pretty good, for 100 bucks? It's incredible.

QuoteQuote:
as far as the FA 31 - I'm a bit hesitant about it; I had the FA 43 and let it go not long after purchasing it.... so, we'll see about another 'legendary' lens in my hands....
I remember you didn't quite get on with the FA 43 but I can understand that, I can see very good pictures of it stopped down but it's not great at rendering and bokeh closer to wide open... but the FA 31 is different. I'm again living a bit of my GAS through your experiences, so I'm e bit excited about this
02-22-2021, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #12237
Pentaxian

Out of boredom I did a lil something here...

Yashica ML 50/2 at f2; f2.8; f4; f5.6

All PP is just matching the exposures as I did not touch anything else on camera. Note - from wide open to the others the camera moved a tad bit... Hence technically the wide open shot was not really at max focus capacity...

f2:

f2.8:

f4:

f5.6:

Not too shabby of a little 50...

By f5.6 it is as sharp a lens as I have Pentax/Taks, IMO...
Now having seen pictures of it, I wonder if it is at all related to the Rikenon 50 f2... that's also a lens that at f5.6 is as sharp as anything out there.
02-23-2021, 04:46 AM   #12238
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
But the first version, as I see it, is already great optically...

Indeed, a 50 1.2 lens that is actually pretty good, for 100 bucks? It's incredible.

I remember you didn't quite get on with the FA 43 but I can understand that, I can see very good pictures of it stopped down but it's not great at rendering and bokeh closer to wide open... but the FA 31 is different. I'm again living a bit of my GAS through your experiences, so I'm e bit excited about this

agreed - the first version is definitely special; my only concern is the long-ish MFD of about 2'......

agreed - my affair with the vaunted FA 43 did not have me singing its praises, especially when compared to the DA 40 Limited....

and yes, my GAS/LBA continues unabated, even after all this time.... it has gotten more expensive tastes, too....

I'm in the market (soon) for an A* 85/1.4....
02-23-2021, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #12239
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
X-H1 with TT Artisan 50mm f1.2

02-23-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #12240
Pentaxian

agreed - the first version is definitely special; my only concern is the long-ish MFD of about 2'......

agreed - my affair with the vaunted FA 43 did not have me singing its praises, especially when compared to the DA 40 Limited....

and yes, my GAS/LBA continues unabated, even after all this time.... it has gotten more expensive tastes, too....

I'm in the market (soon) for an A* 85/1.4....
Don't forget CBA... I see you got an X-H1, which is a "luxury" Fujifilm body as far as APS-C bodies are concerned, kind of like their K-3 I guess (and the X-Pro bodies would be a step above?)

Looking forward to the battle of the 85/1.4 lenses ... (Zeiss vs SMC-A*...)
« The Bokeh Club | - »