Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #12721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one genuinely uncooperative ant

You need to transfer your dragon- and butterfly training skills to the ants!

04-30-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #12722
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with FA 77mm f1.8 Limited

Luminar has become so unstable for me, I'm trying out a new image-editing software:

is there ever a good time to learn a new piece of software?
04-30-2021, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #12723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What software is this?
04-30-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #12724
Pentaxian

Luminar has become so unstable for me, I'm trying out a new image-editing software:

What are you trying out? The exif on these basically says they are SOOC.

Based on what I know from your workflow - processing JPEGs - I'm thinking you might do well with Photoshop Elements.

There's also the Ken Rockwell favorite - Perfectly Clear, which I think is a bit overpriced but when it works, it works really well (I have a couple of the Perfectly clear algo's as part of Corel Aftershot Pro - the basic Perfectly Clear, and the Perfectly Clear Denoise - both work really well).

I have to say that Corel Aftershot Pro 3 has been very stable in my current computer and so has Paintshop Pro - but Corel software is known to be crashy so it's probably not for you. (And I would never recomment Aftershot Pro for anyone processing RAW files - which is funny since that is what it is intended for, but it does a lousy job converting from RAW, while it does very well, I think, processing JPEGs).

04-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #12725
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
What software is this?
these three are processed with Affinity...
04-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #12726
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What are you trying out? The exif on these basically says they are SOOC.

Based on what I know from your workflow - processing JPEGs - I'm thinking you might do well with Photoshop Elements.

There's also the Ken Rockwell favorite - Perfectly Clear, which I think is a bit overpriced but when it works, it works really well (I have a couple of the Perfectly clear algo's as part of Corel Aftershot Pro - the basic Perfectly Clear, and the Perfectly Clear Denoise - both work really well).

I have to say that Corel Aftershot Pro 3 has been very stable in my current computer and so has Paintshop Pro - but Corel software is known to be crashy so it's probably not for you. (And I would never recomment Aftershot Pro for anyone processing RAW files - which is funny since that is what it is intended for, but it does a lousy job converting from RAW, while it does very well, I think, processing JPEGs).
I'm also going to be demo'ing DXO and Capture One ...
04-30-2021, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #12727
Pentaxian

I liked the processing on those 3 examples, by the way. Very nice while not looking obviously processed.

04-30-2021, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #12728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a pain when your normal workflow is disrupted. I rely on Rawtherapee for most of my editing. But now the latest builds don't play nice with my old 6 mpx files. 95% of the time, the files will not load/display. The frustrating thing is, RT does work once in awhile! I have an alternative editor, but it's clunkier to use and the results aren't as nice. Ya do whatcha gotta do....
04-30-2021, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #12729
Veteran Member

I do miss the bokeh from that lens...
04-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #12730
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I liked the processing on those 3 examples, by the way. Very nice while not looking obviously processed.
thank you - I'm not really sure I like the interface of Affinity, so the jury is out on it....
04-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #12731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
It's a pain when your normal workflow is disrupted. I rely on Rawtherapee for most of my editing. But now the latest builds don't play nice with my old 6 mpx files. 95% of the time, the files will not load/display. The frustrating thing is, RT does work once in awhile! I have an alternative editor, but it's clunkier to use and the results aren't as nice. Ya do whatcha gotta do....
That's strange, I haven't had issues with any of my files. I'm still using the stable release 5.8 from February 2020 (there haven't been any additional stable releases since). It is, as the name implies, very stable
04-30-2021, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #12732
Pentaxian

thank you - I'm not really sure I like the interface of Affinity, so the jury is out on it....
The problem is that if you've been using a program for a few years, everything else seems inferior for a while. It was that way when I had to leave Corel Aftershot Pro when they wouldn't support the K-S1. A few years later I got Aftershot Pro again and now I don't even think the interface is that great anymore... I used to dislike how complex RawTherapee is and now that I know where everything is, it's much better for my uses...
04-30-2021, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #12733
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm also going to be demo'ing DXO and Capture One ...
I tried affinity and disliked it. I got a copy of Luminar (not the AI, the one prior) and honestly do not use it... I got into Capture One and not looking back = I come from LightRoom so Capture One was very similar already. You have full control of things but there is no one-touch and done mode like luminar (unless you save presets).

PS - if you end up buying Capture One - Flickr Pro will offer you 35% off the price (go to your settings and scroll down...)
04-30-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #12734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's strange, I haven't had issues with any of my files. I'm still using the stable release 5.8 from February 2020 (there haven't been any additional stable releases since). It is, as the name implies, very stable
Yes, the problem started with 5.8. RT works perfectly with files from my other cameras, but only works sporadically with my *ist D files. I've uninstalled/reinstalled to no avail. I'm running an older version of RT on my laptop with no issues. I confirmed with TheSquirrelMafia guy - he has the same issues with *ist D files (K100D files work fine) on his copy of 5.8. Very strange indeed.

Last edited by paulh; 04-30-2021 at 01:11 PM.
04-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #12735
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
this is the ON1 revision:

and the interface with ON1 is much easier to work with than Affinity....