Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Purchasing a used lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey!

New to the forums and to photography as a whole. I just recently purchased a pentax K50 for an upcoming trip to iceland with the 18-55 kit lens.
After some looking around i wanted to purchase a wide angle lens mostly for landscape photos outside as the backcountry is where i spend most of my time.

This brings me to locating a Sigma 10mm-20mm 4.0-5.6f lens used locally for 340 canadian. I was just curious if that's a reasonable asking price? As well if there is anything in particular i need to be aware of when purchasing it used?

The current owner said its in mint condition with no issues to speak of...including the occasional focus issues some of the sigmas seemed to experience as a result of quality control issues.

Many thanks

03-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CndFire Quote
This brings me to locating a Sigma 10mm-20mm 4.0-5.6f lens used locally for 340 canadian. I was just curious if that's a reasonable asking price?
It's an Ok price. He's not doing you any favors though. Looks like on Ebay they go anywhere from $250 to $300. Adorama has one for $259. I trust them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-10-20mm-f-4-5-6-EX-DC-HSM-Autofocus-Wide-Zoom-...item4d2f631768
03-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
sigma

Regrettably due to our great leader up in the north we have lost our almost parity with the US dollar. So any stateside purchases is essentially x1.28 plus x 1.13 for ontario harmonized sales tax. so thats 374 Canadian.

thanks for the link tho
03-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Regrettably due to our great leader up in the north we have lost our almost parity with the US dollar. So any stateside purchases is essentially x1.28 plus x 1.13 for ontario harmonized sales tax. so thats 374 Canadian.

thanks for the link tho
The Adorama deal seems to be gone? But if that is the conversion rate, then $340 CAD is pretty good. That is a handy wide lens.

03-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

We paid more than that a few years ago when the dollar was close to participate and that was without a hood. The correct hood was found in a park. ☺

Considering no shipping and everything go for it. Have not been to Iceland yet, might be next year, but I think it would be a great lens to have there and it is of good quality.

Enjoy your trip.
03-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Its coming with a hood, cap?, original box, and a soft case. So i think i did alright!

Thanks folks
03-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Whether purchasing new or used, centering can be an issue with this (or almost any, but maybe a little more often with this model) lens. So make sure you can get a no-questions-asked exchange. You don't want to end up arguing with some seller - or manufacturer - over what's "good enough."

Personally I've tried multiple copies of this lens and AF doesn't really work for me at the wide end, maybe due to the fairly extreme depth of field, but usually I'm usually using MF anyway so I can set some mid-point distance (not usually where AF wants to focus), and get everything reasonably sharp near-to-far. And I'm usually using f11 or so. If you're using the lens wide open, or photographing moving subjects, then you might have more AF concerns.

Another thing to watch out for is filters hitting the front element. Tiffen was very helpful in giving me a spacer to keep my Tiffen filter from hitting. Maybe there's a better way, but I tested by slipping some tissue between the filter and lens, and seeing if it stayed stuck when I shook the lens

03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I paid a bit over $300 American for a used Sigma 10-20 /4-5.6 about a year ago. Its a great lens and worth every penny.
03-18-2015, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Its coming with a hood, cap?, original box, and a soft case. So i think i did alright!

Thanks folks
So you got it, then? It's a fun lens, if a bit bulky.

I have gotten some really nice pictures with it. The best ones are when you have a dominating object up close, and not just a whole lot of empty space between you and the interesting bits of landscape.

Enjoy Iceland!
03-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
We paid more than that a few years ago when the dollar was close to participate and that was without a hood. The correct hood was found in a park. ☺

Considering no shipping and everything go for it. Have not been to Iceland yet, might be next year, but I think it would be a great lens to have there and it is of good quality.

Enjoy your trip.
I bought a used 10-20 Sigma to "complete"(!) my lens collection. Well for now, anyway. It is for precisely the reason you're thinking as I live in Newfoundland which has some pretty vast landscapes as well. Can't tell you if it was a godd decision or not yet as it has not arrived due to all the recent gigantic snows. But if you're looking for thought validation anyway, you have it from me.

It has gotten cheaper due to a very recent price cut, so new may be a better option now.