Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

fake 18-135 on ebay?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So to save money I took the risk and bought the 18-135wr from ebay seller 7th ave. The lens seems legit to me it focuses very fast is silent everything seems to look correct. Im concerned because it came in a basically unmarked white box. No warranty info no pouch. It has the user manual and hood, everything is tagged pentax. Now does pentax just sell them to unauthorized dealers this way or what?

I was expecting the typicla white or black retail box and everything but being able to claim a warranty, help anyone?
Pentax SMC Da 18 135mm F 3 5 5 6 Ed Al If DC WR Lens w 62mm UV Filter | eBay

Last edited by Greenneck; 10-15-2016 at 09:46 AM.
03-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the price- the lens was obviously taken from a camera lens kit and is thus grey market. But you still got the same great product and I'm sure it will serve you well

The sale price for the boxed version at authorized dealers is $419.

Per the listing:

QuoteQuote:
Our products are covered by a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor. If you need more information, please contact our customer service department for warranty info. 6AVE will provide a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor and defects for new products in any case where the manufacturer will not do so.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Look at the price- the lens was obviously taken from a camera lens kit and is thus grey market. But you still got the same great product and I'm sure it will serve you well

The sale price for the boxed version at authorized dealers is $419.

Per the listing:
If that is the case Im happy with that, i knew I wouldnt have the same warranty so if it was just taken off a body thats fine with me. I was worried there were known fakes but thank you Adam
03-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-135mm does not come with a pouch, even purchased stand-alone, new, at full price. Generally, Limited or Star lenses come with a pouch, although the HD 100mm WR macro comes with a soft case. Some have commented that one is practically Limited in all but name.

Looks like you knowingly bought a grey-market lens (so not sure why a missing warranty was mentioned?), that was removed from a sale-packaged kit with body and lens, now sold separately to profit on the piece-parts.

I can't imagine how there would be any profit in setting up an assembly line to manufacture fake Pentax lenses that focus silently and duplicate the exact Pentax look apart from the box. And even if so, faking the lens, why not fake the box too? It would be pennies in comparison.

03-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
From the top photo it looks damaged around the bayonet plastic.
03-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote

It's not. That's how it is. Those grooves are for the bayonet hood.
03-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
Aren't those just the spots the hood latches on from?

03-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #8

Look at 2:00 and 6:00. Clearly broken plastic and rough edging. None of my Pentax bayonet/hood capable lenses (18-55 and 50-200) look anything like that. I think this is a used lens.
03-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Clearly cracked. Return it.
03-19-2015, 01:41 AM   #10

Hi Greenneck, I've had the same lens as you for ages now. It came in the retail box but as someone else pointed out there isn't a pouch included. Don't panic about it being "clearly cracked" or "damaged". I'm now looking at my lens with the hood attached in its reverse storage position as yours obviously is in your photo and I that's what they look like. No damage, just the shape of the hood where it clicks onto the lens. Enjoy your lens, they are a great all round travel lens.
03-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I bought my K-30, I bought the kit with the 18-135. My lens was in a little white box exactly like that, which was in turn inside the "kit" box. Had the same exact bubble wrap, so it definitely looks just like a kit lens. In the case of the 18-135, it is identical to the "retail" lens in every way except the box it comes in.
03-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Not sure about 6 o'clock, but definitely looks cracked to me around the 2 o'clock position.
03-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
looks cracked to me around the 2 o'clock position.
Just took mine out of my pack, it looks exactly like the hood in the top picture( except for some small scratches that I take full responsibility for). Haven't had any problems or noticed any cracks in the past two years.
03-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mine came in a plastic bubble wrap. Ordered it through Ebay. The description back then described it as an ex-kit item. Nothing out of the ordinary. Doesn't even have to indicate "grey"-market. The store just took a kit apart to replace a Pentax body to a loyal customer or something.

Anyway, mine looks the same. No, mine looks worse, but I'm responsible for the beating I gave it over the past 2 years. It's a tank. It survived a big fall, heavy rain, even accidental dipping! It's my workhorse that takes all the beating that I don't want my beautiful primes to go through.
03-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by MartinMcFly Quote
Don't panic about it being "clearly cracked" or "damaged". I'm now looking at my lens with the hood attached in its reverse storage position as yours obviously is in your photo and I that's what they look like. No damage, just the shape of the hood where it clicks onto the lens.
I second that.
My 18-135 with the hood in a reversed position looks absolutely the same.