Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Speculative Pentax lens prices

It looks like the prices of pentax primes are still on the rising. Recently seen a price a 5 to 10% price increase on the FA limited, after the announcement of the Pentax full frame. I fear a speculative price bubble and then a Pentax crisis such as the crisis of sub-primes in the USA. Should we buy a lot of FA limited in anticipation of the full frame release and resell them later with a profit?

03-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it will depend on whether Ricoh releases updated models and at what price. A new release of limiteds with HD coatings and quick shift would compete with the older models in the wild.

And realistically how many FF cameras is Ricoh going to sell? Enough to make any real difference in lens prices? I don't think so. I think the bubble is now, so you should be selling now and looking to buy back when the market crashes. People have been hoarding FF glass for a decade, a lot of that is going to come out of the woodwork.
03-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think it will depend on whether Ricoh releases updated models and at what price
Is there any hint that Ricoh will update the FA limited? Or just rumors?
03-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you reference BDimitov website you can see how old pentax primes really are. ( FA 25 is 20 yrs old, the FA* 24 is 20, the 35mm f2 15yr and so on) The 43 ltd has been around since 1997 and the FA 31 has been in production unchanged since 2001. With the new FF you can bet your derriere that new primes will show up. There's a rumor on a 300mm f2.8 project, and from different interviews on the web it looks like indeed new designs will emerge (not just updates) on the roadmap. Nobody knows on the fate of the amigos, they may still churn them out unchanged to satisfy the die hard Pentaxians, I for one am ok with that.

Last edited by Stavri; 03-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
03-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah this BDimitrov website is great.
03-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not even rumors. Just wishful thinking. There are rumors / hints that new primes will be released, likely in 2016. But what primes and whether they will be limited or not is unknown.

The good thing is that they did re-do the DA limiteds so that indicates they like the Limited concept, gives hope that FA Limiteds will also be refreshed.

However, there is one parallel that can be made now and that is the FA*80-200 f/2.8 and the DFA*70-200 f/2.8. I don't follow the pricing on FA*80-200, it is not a lens I ever wanted. But you could compare the price of it pre and post release of the DFA*70-200 to get an indication of how the market will react when a existing lens is replaced with a similar new model. My guess (assuming the DFA* has the image quality predicted) is that FA*80-200 prices will drop.
03-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

More like common sense. Everyone updates lenses just as the Ricoh did with the HD DA Limited line. The question is: How much will they upgrade them?

Weather sealing?
Keep Screw Drive or the new faster/more accurate DC?
Will they improve screw drive speed/accuracy/quieter?

Will they simply throw HD coatings on the 77mm and call it quits or will they actually improve the lens (lower CA) and improve performance wide open?

03-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not even rumors. Just wishful thinking. There are rumors / hints that new primes will be released, likely in 2016. But what primes and whether they will be limited or not is unknown.

The good thing is that they did re-do the DA limiteds so that indicates they like the Limited concept, gives hope that FA Limiteds will also be refreshed.

However, there is one parallel that can be made now and that is the FA*80-200 f/2.8 and the DFA*70-200 f/2.8. I don't follow the pricing on FA*80-200, it is not a lens I ever wanted. But you could compare the price of it pre and post release of the DFA*70-200 to get an indication of how the market will react when a existing lens is replaced with a similar new model. My guess (assuming the DFA* has the image quality predicted) is that FA*80-200 prices will drop.

Well reasoned analysis. At the moment Ricoh is focusing on zooms to quickly fill the gaps into the D-Fa lineup for their FF release. You got a 70-200, 150-450, and a 24ish-70ish to give people something to play with. After the new ultrawide zoom is released and done with they'll focus on primes. The older FF lenses should hold their value or gain slightly until 2016 when the new shiny ones arrive.

Last edited by Stavri; 03-20-2015 at 03:04 PM.
03-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It just doesn't make sense to market a FF without the lenses to back it. That's where most of the profit lies. And it's profit that could walk if Sigma (and Tamron?) release more of their lenses in K mount. I expect a slew of new and reworked primes to at least be announced by the time the new camera appears.
03-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It looks like the prices of pentax primes are still on the rising. Recently seen a price a 5 to 10% price increase on the FA limited, after the announcement of the Pentax full frame.
It's a great time to buy APS-C lenses in the marketplace for those who are sticking with it.
03-20-2015, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Should we buy a lot of FA limited in anticipation of the full frame release and resell them later with a profit?
Never mind Pentax lenses. Tulip bulbs are where it's at. You heard it here first.
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's a great time to buy APS-C lenses in the marketplace for those who are sticking with it.
I'm not abandoning APS-C, whether I buy into FF or not. Portability, especially when travelling, makes it too valuable. I'm currently away from home for over 4 months, and have left my Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art home because of its weight. There's no way I'd be lugging about a FF body and 4 or 5 large lenses. I hope Pentax will be more size-conscious than Sigma (e.g., the three amigos, though the two new long zooms are counterexamples) but still there'll be a heft premium.
03-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Da limited were merely refreshed, they didn't have to redesign the lens in any way, just swap a few parts/processes.
The FA limiteds on the other hand would need a new design to incorporate quick shift. They also have a different colour cast to the DA series which might change if you update the coatings. With this in mind It makes more sense to focus on other FF lenses first to fill in the holes. The FA limiteds have lost none of their desirability despite their age.
There is no point stocking up on something that is still in production.

---------- Post added 03-21-2015 at 10:02 AM ----------

And if you think that modern clinical lenses mean that older "artistic" lenses have lost their appeal then check out the Nikon 58/1.4G at $1700 a pop. (compare that to the da*55)

Last edited by robjmitchell; 03-20-2015 at 04:03 PM.
03-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I fear a speculative price bubble and then a Pentax crisis such as the crisis of sub-primes in the USA. Should we buy a lot of FA limited in anticipation of the full frame release and resell them later with a profit?
Your fears of a bubble are well-founded, though not because of purchase on speculation. When the K10D was released in 2007, it created an extremely high demand for legacy K-mount lenses having the "A" contacts. As a result, prices soared, despite the ready availability of adequate stocks of new lenses at reasonable prices (e.g. FA 50/1.4 < $200 USD new). Would you believe that I paid $125 USD for a Pentax-A 50/1.7 in vGood condition and felt lucky to find one to buy? That is more than twice the current value for that lens. I know, it makes no sense.

I would suggest that it might be a good idea to start looking for garage sale finds of used FF Pentax glass with the intent of buying low and selling at inflated market. I would expect an ROI of 30-50% for that class of goods. For purchase of new Limiteds, I would expect to lose money unless able to purchase gray market to sell at a moderate mark-up.

Steve
03-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is there any hint that Ricoh will update the FA limited?
None, just hopeful speculation.

Steve