Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Also considering shredding the bank balance and getting a DA* 50-135mm as I'm wondering if I'd actually use a 16-85mm/18-135mm enough (beyond travelling)... given that I have quite a few primes which are [significantly] faster and high IQ in that range, some of which are WR too

Although its big, I reckon I could perhaps get away with two lenses - I'd then just take the DA* 50-135mm and FA31mm

Might come in handy for people shots down the line too (when I need a zoom)... the 55 is good if you can move about

LBA is a truly horrible beast
If you're in Portland, take a short drive (30min ?) up the Columbia river to Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For some areas... make sure you have something wide enough. 31mm might be wide enough if you're bringing a 16-85 or 18-135mm.

03-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Haven't fully decided but its likely to be Vancouver (+immediate surrounds) and possibly a brief trip down to Seattle or Portland
I live near Seattle and I drove up to Vancouver for a day. I would say Seattle has much better photo opportunities, there weather here has been pretty shaking lately so one the wr may suit you well. I honestly struggled in Vancouver in the down town area to find much of interest. I would say how ever to make sure youre there when its dark because theres that one main street that only busses can drive through ,im sure one of the locals can name it, has some beautiful neon signs and the like.
03-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back when this thread began, I was wondering about the same question. I'll be in Tacoma and Portland next weekend, so what gear to bring? My Pentax kit was still being assembled, and my best candidates were my only WR lens, a 50-200, and a trusty, beat-up but precious F 25-50/4. Then, as is my wont, I walked into one more pawn shop. Two mystery lenses sat mummy'ed up in plastic wrap, so I asked to see them. Looked like Tamrons (and I still suspect they are, in design and manufacture). But it was a pair of DA stars, the 16-50 and the 50-135 2.8! The price was attractive, at $350 and $400, but I had enough sales resistance to go home and research values and learn about the self-destructing SDM problem.

Back at the shop last Monday, I tested them and, sure enough, there was a reason they'd been pawned. Both had no AF, but the MF action was smooth, so I made a deal I expected them to refuse. When I left, I had a handful of DA stars, for a total of $300. They seem easy enough to manually focus, especially when my K5IIs is set to Catch in Focus.

Despite the size and the weight, I think I'll take them along for the ride. And the 24-50, if it's not raining...
03-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Back when this thread began, I was wondering about the same question. I'll be in Tacoma and Portland next weekend, so what gear to bring? My Pentax kit was still being assembled, and my best candidates were my only WR lens, a 50-200, and a trusty, beat-up but precious F 25-50/4. Then, as is my wont, I walked into one more pawn shop. Two mystery lenses sat mummy'ed up in plastic wrap, so I asked to see them. Looked like Tamrons (and I still suspect they are, in design and manufacture). But it was a pair of DA stars, the 16-50 and the 50-135 2.8! The price was attractive, at $350 and $400, but I had enough sales resistance to go home and research values and learn about the self-destructing SDM problem.

Back at the shop last Monday, I tested them and, sure enough, there was a reason they'd been pawned. Both had no AF, but the MF action was smooth, so I made a deal I expected them to refuse. When I left, I had a handful of DA stars, for a total of $300. They seem easy enough to manually focus, especially when my K5IIs is set to Catch in Focus.

Despite the size and the weight, I think I'll take them along for the ride. And the 24-50, if it's not raining...
Screw drive conversion isn't hard. PM me if you need info. What a steal. I got my 50-135 for 325 with "broken SDM" but it spontaneously came back after 5 minutes of fast exercise of the focus mechanism. No problems since.

03-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
-scorched the wallet - 50-135mm on its way
-said I would try to avoid overlapping FLs ... and failed .... 55 / 100 / 50-135mm

LBA