Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

My World In Macro

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I finally got myself a macro lens !!!
It's a Lester Dine 105mm and I can't wait to actually make some time and take it out for a spin. It's a bonafide dental lens with various "teeth markings" on the barrel.

I don't know how much these things sell for now-a-days, but I'm pretty happy with the price I paid on a local CL.

I think manual focus might get a little tricky while attempting a 1:1. Any suggestions?

Tim.

06-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three words: Tripod. Focusing rail.
06-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

One thing I'd like to get and that's a macro sliding rail ... can be a little pricey too.

Would be believe though ... MF is better than AF when it comes to 1:1.
06-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
One thing I'd like to get and that's a macro sliding rail ... can be a little pricey too.

Would be believe though ... MF is better than AF when it comes to 1:1.
got lego?

someone in the Overclockers Australia Photo forum made one out of lego it's linked in the Wiki but you need to be a member to read

06-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All matching items for sale.

There are some cheapos. I don't think thats too much really, if you like macrowork.
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
got lego?

someone in the Overclockers Australia Photo forum made one out of lego it's linked in the Wiki but you need to be a member to read
I don't know about lego, but after exploring the great tubes of the internets, I've decided to try a DIY sliding rail.
I'm sure the quality of my pictures will be limited by the quality of the operator rather than the gear

Also, taking pictures of spiders on their webs in the wind is quite a pain in the neck, but that's probably not much of a surprise
06-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Igilligan

TIM... did you beat me to that lens...???

Was it the SF one with the camera flash case???? I was right behind you with the email if it was... you lucky dog...

06-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
I think I did

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Was it the SF one with the camera flash case???? I was right behind you with the email if it was... you lucky dog...
I think we're talking about the same thing. I finally got lucky with the timing on CL.

Now I think I have my LBA satisfied (VERY temporarily) and should stop checking CL so often.
... oh, who am I kidding ...
06-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TimB Quote
I think manual focus might get a little tricky while attempting a 1:1. Any suggestions?

Tim.
Yep. Set the camera body to AF.S, set the focal point to center only, and just slowly move in with the shutter button held all the way down. The camera will fire when it or the subject causes the green hexagon to come on. I've been using it ever since I got my SF-1 - and it is in that manual as Snap-In-Focus.
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Yep. Set the camera body to AF.S, set the focal point to center only, and just slowly move in with the shutter button held all the way down. The camera will fire when it or the subject causes the green hexagon to come on. I've been using it ever since I got my SF-1 - and it is in that manual as Snap-In-Focus.
Thank you, Albert.
That "snap-in-focus" trick should make close focusing much easier when hand held.
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

These are 1:1 Macro with Vivitar 100mm F2/8.
Manual focus, no tripod.

It's not that difficult to do and with the macro flash it should be a lot easier.

06-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Impresive shots, despite me hating the sight of "creepy crawlies".

I just bought a Vivitar 100mm F2.8 off ebay yesterday also... 3rd lens in about a month... think I better start selling some stuff

I kinda convinced myself the DA35 Macro would have to go... but I just don't want to let go of it now...

That "snap focus" is something I have to try!
06-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

ebay

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Impresive shots, despite me hating the sight of "creepy crawlies".

I just bought a Vivitar 100mm F2.8 off ebay yesterday also... 3rd lens in about a month... think I better start selling some stuff

I kinda convinced myself the DA35 Macro would have to go... but I just don't want to let go of it now...

That "snap focus" is something I have to try!
I was watching this Vivitar ( Kiron) 100mm F2.8 1:1 MACRO 4 Pentax KA NICE! - eBay (item 250253164677 end time Jun-04-08 19:32:09 PDT)

I did not bid either

Congrats, cos this should be a great lens.
06-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yup, that's the lens! lol

I wonder if the seller is on here?
06-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Yup, that's the lens! lol

I wonder if the seller is on here?
Ha, ha.. I was following this for 3 days already but decided today not to bid cos I won one 90mm vivitar f2.8.a few days ago.

Your 100 vivitar is a better lens with a better bokeh, that's what I gathered, Kiron made. It has A contact ie aperture priority, obvious from the photo but the reply from the seller was not clear.

Awaiting more of bugs and macro from you.

marcus