Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mentioned earlier that you can shoot wide angle perspective using multiple images combined with MS ICE. If you do that you could just work on the telephoto end.

03-24-2015, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your kit is good for several reasons. It is all weather resistant, it covers a wide range of focal lengths, the K-30 is a good camera with good IQ, the lenses are capable. You could go wider or longer. You can also make lots of good images with what you have by using a solid tripod, careful composition and exposure, and using the lenses near the middle of their focal length and aperture ranges when possible. As for adding another lens I like the DA15 or a 300 f4 (with 1.4 TC if possible). Or swapping your 50-200 for the HD 55-300WR and adding the DA15 would add to both ends considerably. Have fun, Yellowstone is full of opportunity!
03-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it is clear that you will need to exercise a healthy dose of LBA here and somehow acquire both a WA (if it were me, definitely DA15) and a 300mm before the trip. 😊
03-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you would have to be crazy to contemplate a trip to such a spectacular place with just one lens.

Take both your zooms. Consider adding something ultrawide like the DA15, DA12-24 or even the DA10-17.

03-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

If I may make a suggestion, since you're dealing with budget constraints...

Spend the bulk of your budget on a superwide (any of the ones mentioned would fit the bill here), and then grab a 300mm prime or 400mm+ mirror lens. Not a new one - an old, manual everything (or 'A' if you get lucky) kind of deal. You should be able to buy something in that range for relatively cheap, and as you'll probably only need it occasionally, it should fit the bill for you.

That way you'll be covered from superwide through 200mm, then be able to pull out the old prime for the long shots. Most zooms gravitate towards suckage at the long end anyway, so a prime would serve you better anyhow.

That, and any supertelephoto zoom is going to be huge, and unless you're going to be staying in your car you aren't going to want to lug the kind of weight a 50-500 or whatever packs.

Last edited by Sagitta; 03-25-2015 at 06:57 AM.
03-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can only take one lens, then an 18-135 or 18-250/270. Obviously a superzoom isn't going to be as good in many situations as lenses that cover less focal lengths, but it is just handy to have those covered.
03-25-2015, 04:34 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really enjoy my 18-135 - great size and balance on the camera. I find it is often my default lens. I've never used a longer reach soon such as an 18-270, but have seen some great results from photographers with a good eye. I'd want the versatility for wide and tele shots.

03-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I know this is a little outside the range of what the op has asked for but is the reason for budget alone or space constraints? If I am taking a trip to somewhere special I pack my camera gear first...then decide what clothes I can fit in the luggage!This would be even more the case if its a place Like yellow stone! Im terrible when it comes to chosing this or that lens ahead of time.

If the reason for the one lens to buy limitation is financial.For several hundred dollars between now and the trip .You could pick up a whole range of prime Takumars and M lenses to use on the trip...Just a thought.

hth,
Al
03-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #39
Pentaxian

If I could only bring one lens it would be my FA 31 with Marumi color polarizer. I would choose this lens over my DA*16-50 strictly for the IQ. To hell with focal length
03-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
The Sigma 50-500mm. Can be hand held but works even better with a monopod. Very good zoom range limits lens changes, very decent IQ for its range albeit a little slow. You should use at F8 or higher for optimum sharpness. Alternatively, the Sigma 150-500mm can be had for $799 and you only lose 100mm at the wide end. Otherwise the IQ is similar. These lenses are made for situations like Yellowstone if you are not willing to spend the $$$$$ that some do for their 5-600mm lenses. Another alternative depending on your pocketbook is the new DFA 150-450 lens that has been announced. It is around $2500 but will offer better IQ and more features than the two Sigmas and it will have WR too. I have owned both Sigmas and have gotten some very decent photo's with them. In fact, I am trying to decide whether to buy another Sigma or wait for the Pentax lens. I have a B&H gift card burning a hole....
Absolutely! I am going to Big Bend next month and the Bigma 50-500 will cover most every need I have. It renders great color, no PF and can be used hand held for 99.9% of what I shoot. It's not tiny, but it is effective and delivers great IQ.

From a landscape at 50mm...

To wildlife at 500mm..

...and everything in between, the Bigma is supreme! If I could only own one lens, it would most definitely be my Bigma!

Regards!
03-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

If it was my choice, I would probably opt for the 18-135 WR as others have said because of the WR and size but I would also think longer too. I use my Tammy 18-200 and it is not a bad lens as long as you have enough light, and outdoors in Yellowstone would be great. The Tammy is very cheap also. For the one lens I would get if price is not an option would be the Siggy 50-500. You should consider renting from Borrow Lenses or Lens Rentals also. Prices there are relatively cheap for a location that you may not go back to for a long time.
03-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #42

Original Poster
Sorry, I don't think I stated my objective very clearly. I will be taking the two lenses I currently have, but was wondering what one other lens I should add first...assuming I can only afford one more before the trip. Also, thanks to all of you for your advice!
03-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Considering you have the two WR lenses already, look for capability you are missing: probably either macro or high speed. The DA35 macro would be nice, but if macro shots are a serious part of your interests, a longer focal length might be preferable, probably a 90mm or 100mm. If you want to be able to photograph at night, you might want something with a maximum F1.4 aperture or better. the DA 55 1.4 is an incredible choice.
03-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #44
Forum Member

Am I allowed to say someting cheesy like "my eyes are the best lenses"?
but seriously, I second the 17-70 lens. It has the best range.
03-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could consider renting.

What do you want to do more - vast landscapes with ultra-wide or sniping with long telephoto?

Wide, I'd really consider the Sigma 8-16 it's a special lens, and one I rented for a couple weeks and have considered buying. At its longer zoom range it's an UWA lens, while at 8mm it's a rectilinear fisheye with a very interesting perspective. You'd have fun with that and big wide vistas.

Long, I'm >this< close to requisitioning funds for a DA300 and teleconverter. Though for your uses, the Sigma long zooms have a bit of attraction, and can be rented for a decent price.

Bear in mind you're not going to buy any of these for $500. I'm not sure whether the 18-135 is going to benefit you more than the 18-55 for this trip, but it's a great travel lens. It's the one I put on the camera if it's all I can carry. It's a pleasure to use with its motorized focus and weather sealing.