Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Nikula" telescope ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I found this thing on eBay - 15 30x 1200mm 2500mm Telescope for Pentax M42 K Mount K20D K100D K10D K110D Ist | eBay

What the hell is this???
F16 - F32 ?

03-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ha it's for m42 k mount with mount type listed as Canon. Interesting.
03-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well its basically a cheap spotting scope. update say telescope most scopes referred to as spotting scopes are prismatic, like binoculars.
I have an opticron scope that I am still figuring out for digiscoping but in a nutshell the main method is what is called eyepiece projection. This doesn't work too well with slr's because the usual size of the exit pupil from the eyepiece means that the image is hopelessly vignetted. As you can see in his pics he has attached the scope to small sensor format cameras/video cameras, with these the projected image can cover the sensor. I've been trying a Lumix LX5 with a 1/1.6 sensor on the opticron. That works though I have to zoom the camera towards its longest focal length, and get the camera very close to the eyepiece.
Even tough the Opticron is a relatively premium albeit older model, pics do suffer from aberrations, specifically fringing. Digiscoping enthusiasts orient to the best optics with lots of (expensive) LD glass. Though I must admit his test pics look quite decent.
His picture taking advice at the bottom of the sale page is sound!

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
03-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't tried this particular one, but I tried a couple of similar ones and was really disappointed.