Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

While I like my JANSJÖ, I have been tempted to get a compact UV lamp, if they make such that is AC or USB powered.

Steve

11-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The short answer is yes. Yellow is not a very good description for the discoloring. It is closer to tobacco stain in tint. There is also the matter that it is due to a disruption of the physical structure of the glass at the molecular level with attendant change in refractive character. (At least that is the theory.) My experience as well as that of others is an improvement in optical performance when cleared. Of course, YMMV.

Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve. However, I have an old Pentax lens that has an overall yellow tinge. Don't remember which lens but it's squirreled away somewhere. I don't think it's because it has degraded over time. Isn't it likely that it's the original coating?
11-16-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I have an old Pentax lens that has an overall yellow tinge. Don't remember which lens but it's squirreled away somewhere. I don't think it's because it has degraded over time. Isn't it likely that it's the original coating?
The Super Takumars have coatings that reflect yellowish, but when white paper is viewed through the lens, the paper appears white. That is completely normal and is not the same a lens having one or more elements where the glass itself has been altered due to radiation. Reports on the Web of thorium coatings that have gone yellow are inaccurate.

Steve
02-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I didn't bother clearing the lens for a long time, since my line of thought was same as yours and I used BW film anyway.
However images look better after clearing the lens, I don;t know how to described the difference but they seem snappier
Also the lens regained 1 stop exposure and can be used for color.

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I'm sure that for psychological reasons it's nice to remove the yellow tint from a lens. However, does yellowing significantly change the color of the image? If it does, some photos may benefit from a warmer glow. If not, why bother?

02-14-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #20

I bought a UV torch that outputs at 365nm at 3w maximum (it reduces to about 2.3w after 3 minutes continuous use).

I have sat it about 6" from my Takumar (50mm F/1.4 and it doesn't heat the glass. After about 8 hours use the glass is clear.

Very simple to use.

One word of warning: don't start going all CSI with it if you live in a rented house/flat; you do NOT want to know what may be on the carpet
02-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can't beat that price. You can get a UV LED and make a small source that will do the job if you can't get this lamp. The LED will have to have a means of limiting its current but is small and can be made into a compact source (avoid eye and skin exposure). One source is Mouser Electronics but there are a lot of others out there. It will most likely come in at a higher price point than the IKEA alternative.
12-01-2023, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I tried the cheap IKEA Jansjö LED light (the weak USB version) to cure my yellowed 50mm f/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. After 7 days of continuous exposure of the lens, which sits on a mirror, this is the result. It's still a bit yellow (slightly more than the photo shows, my 8 element 50mm f/1.4 Takumar does not show a cast). Maybe I should give it another week... :-)

I noticed that the yellowing was cloudy / uneven in the middle. The discoloration is now pretty evenly.

Before:

After 7 days:

The cure in progress:

Last edited by Asahiflex; 12-01-2023 at 04:09 AM.
12-02-2023, 09:09 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The 8 element doesnt have a thorium element and should need any treatment.
Looks cleand, but if I were you I'd compare the meter readings between the lenses and see if there is still a difference or not.
12-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

De-yellowing my 50mm/1.4 was one of the worst photographic mistakes I've ever made. I took a yellowed lens that took beautiful, characterful, unique photos and turned it into a clear lens that utterly bored me. I ended up selling it.

I'd urge anyone to think very carefully before de-yellowing. You might get rid of exactly what made you love the lens.
12-03-2023, 03:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
De-yellowing my 50mm/1.4 was one of the worst photographic mistakes I've ever made. I took a yellowed lens that took beautiful, characterful, unique photos and turned it into a clear lens that utterly bored me. I ended up selling it.

I'd urge anyone to think very carefully before de-yellowing. You might get rid of exactly what made you love the lens.
Interesting take.

But it doesn't matter to me as I have lots of other lenses with character. So to me this is not a "loss" at all.