Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 01:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
It doesn't look too professional , when a company develops $500+ lens, presumably investing millions in the process, and fails to take a proper photo of their product for the targeted audience, does it ? I am not on the market for such lens, but one wonders occasionally, what do some people get paid for...
Samyang doesn't target the pro that much to me. Thoses guys supposedly go for Canikon L zooms with weather seal, ultra fast AF, insurance plans and ultimate build quality.

Samyang lenses are more manual primes with high defect rate and calibration issues. They are typically a bargain to how much you would pay for a lense from Pentax, Canon or Nikon. They target more amateurs, poor pro or nostalgic of manual focus.

They have maybe a more serious niche for movies lenses but Pentax is not king of movies camera anyway.

03-28-2015, 03:11 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look too professional , when a company develops $500+ lens, presumably investing millions in the process, and fails to take a proper photo of their product for the targeted audience, does it ? I am not on the market for such lens, but one wonders occasionally, what do some people get paid for...
Welcome to the world of Samyang. They commonly use product shots of their Canon versions despite those lenses not even being chipped. With every new lens release in K-mount, the same question regarding A-contacts come up on this forum. I would expect the Nikon folk have similar confusion.

Steve
03-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone stay calm. It will have the A contacts.
03-28-2015, 05:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
They target more amateurs, poor pro or nostalgic of manual focus.
Guilty as charged. I'm an amateur who's nostalgic of manual focus. I have a Samyang 35mm on my Sears KS-2 (i.e. Ricoh XR7) film camera with the big viewfinder and split prism + microsprism focuser. And I love it.

03-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Guilty as charged. I'm an amateur who's nostalgic of manual focus. I have a Samyang 35mm on my Sears KS-2 (i.e. Ricoh XR7) film camera with the big viewfinder and split prism + microsprism focuser. And I love it.
And that's perfectly good It is just that one must understand not all product are made to satisfy exactly one need and that even they should not as different persons do have different needs.
03-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Everyone stay calm. It will have the A contacts.
Are you sure about it? Because even description clearly states mount as PK, not PK-A
03-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

They are using the Canon / Nikon pictures.....It HAS the "A" setting and contacts ! At least it better have as we Pentaxians get something the Big Two don't and all my other Samyangs have the A setting.
So typical to use pics that aren't even the right ones for the Pentax version and the description is off too.......We are Doomed !

03-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
They are using the Canon / Nikon pictures.....It HAS the "A" setting and contacts
I do hope so, although not on the market right now, it would be good to see newly manufactured lenses for pentax to have them , it is good for the brand and the usefulness of the gear - important for newcomers.
03-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
At least it better have as we Pentaxians get something the Big Two don't and all my other Samyangs have the A setting.
The Nikon versions are chipped and are fully coupled. The Canon versions are dumb, dumb, dumb.

Steve
03-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samyang doesn't target the pro that much to me. Thoses guys supposedly go for Canikon L zooms with weather seal, ultra fast AF, insurance plans and ultimate build quality.

Samyang lenses are more manual primes with high defect rate and calibration issues. They are typically a bargain to how much you would pay for a lense from Pentax, Canon or Nikon. They target more amateurs, poor pro or nostalgic of manual focus.

They have maybe a more serious niche for movies lenses but Pentax is not king of movies camera anyway.
You forgot one thing - exceptional optics. A couple of testers are indicating that this lens is better optically than the 135L.
03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You forgot one thing - exceptional optics. A couple of testers are indicating that this lens is better optically than the 135L.
Of course with all the other issues the lenses have to be great otherwise nobody would even buy them.

As exceptionnal, this would depend I think of the exact lense we speak of and what is the metric used. Smayang lenses are typically very sharp even at wide apperture. They flare a lot too, some have distorsion difficult to correct in post production like the Samyang 14mm that has wiskers distortion.

They are sure great value and great lenses when you get a good sample, then it depend a lot... even through it seems they improve over time.
03-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure about it? Because even description clearly states mount as PK, not PK-A
Just for an example, look at the B&H listing for the Rokinon 85/1.4. No "A" setting, no aperture lever. But we know that lens has both.

I'm just going by Occam's Razor...which is more likely: that Samyang has always made "A"-compatible K-mount lenses and suddenly stopped, or that they copy-and-pasted a photo of the Canon model into the Pentax listing?

I say the latter.
03-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Samyang lenses are more manual primes with high defect rate and calibration issues.
Do you have any numbers to support this statement?

When I read responses to Samyang lenses, I typically receive confirmation of my own impression that the lenses are optically excellent, very well built, and a steal for their price.

Actually I don't recall anyone reporting issues with a copy. I'm sure it happens, as it does with every lens manufacturer but on the basis of my observations, there is no support for the idea of a "high defect rate“.
03-28-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
or that they copy-and-pasted a photo of the Canon model into the Pentax listing?
How about same photos for all four supported mounts and the photo being prominently labeled as "Alternate mount shown"?

Steve

(...happens every time Samyang releases a K-mount lens...next up? "The focus scale is not proper for infinity point"...)
03-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm sure it happens, as it does with every lens manufacturer but on the basis of my observations, there is no support for the idea of a "high defect rate“.
I was wondering the same thing. The closest I can remember is the persistent problem of the focus scale not being properly calibrated in on their fisheye and some (I believe) some ultra-wide angle lenses.

Steve