Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Just for an example, look at the B&H listing for the Rokinon 85/1.4. No "A" setting, no aperture lever. But we know that lens has both.

I'm just going by Occam's Razor...which is more likely: that Samyang has always made "A"-compatible K-mount lenses and suddenly stopped, or that they copy-and-pasted a photo of the Canon model into the Pentax listing?

I say the latter.
Yes on the latter. Those posts typically indicate that image is not for a specific mount "Alternative mount shown". I have the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and can tell you for certain that it is a PK-A lens.

03-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Do you have any numbers to support this statement?

When I read responses to Samyang lenses, I typically receive confirmation of my own impression that the lenses are optically excellent, very well built, and a steal for their price.

Actually I don't recall anyone reporting issues with a copy. I'm sure it happens, as it does with every lens manufacturer but on the basis of my observations, there is no support for the idea of a "high defect rate“.
Lens Rental explain they have much more issues with Samyang than with other lenses and that they can't keep them as long as other brands. Unfortunately this is not that easy to recall. I should have bookmarked it.
03-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Lens Rental explain they have much more issues with Samyang than with other lenses and that they can't keep them as long as other brands.
The "Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013" appeared to have been modified by LensRentals because they had some classification issue with Rokinon/Bower/Samyang lenses and hence removed the data. Perhaps that's why you cannot find it anymore.

I don't know whether the data was pulled because it was misleading due to the classification issue. I do know that I don't see people complaining about problems with Samyang lenses. I also know that while Roger Cicala (from LensRentals) observed the use of some plastic parts and was sceptical about the longevity of a particular model he looked at (Rokinon 14mm f/2.8), he also called it a "bargain" and noted that replacing it with a new copy would be cheaper than having a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 repaired. He also called the lens better than the Nikon 14/2.8.

He also notes that if someone babies their lens, it could easily last a lifetime while the LensRentals copies see a lot of stress.

I remain unconvinced that there is actually a real cause for concern.
03-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The Lensrental blog made reference to Rokinon insisting that, while they may be part of the SamYang 'family', Rokinon maintained different and higher standards of quality under their label, compared to the other arms of the collective (Vivitar, Bower et al, maybe even SamYang themselves). Hence they didn't like his clumping all the SamYang labels together in his presentation of the reliability data.

I think the only SamYang lenses that are certifiably dodgy are those 650-1300mm mega zooms of theirs.

03-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #35

Hello
03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The "Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013" appeared to have been modified by LensRentals because they had some classification issue with Rokinon/Bower/Samyang lenses and hence removed the data. Perhaps that's why you cannot find it anymore.

I don't know whether the data was pulled because it was misleading due to the classification issue. I do know that I don't see people complaining about problems with Samyang lenses. I also know that while Roger Cicala (from LensRentals) observed the use of some plastic parts and was sceptical about the longevity of a particular model he looked at (Rokinon 14mm f/2.8), he also called it a "bargain" and noted that replacing it with a new copy would be cheaper than having a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 repaired. He also called the lens better than the Nikon 14/2.8.

He also notes that if someone babies their lens, it could easily last a lifetime while the LensRentals copies see a lot of stress.

I remain unconvinced that there is actually a real cause for concern.
I agree with you that I noticed complain of not properly calibrated lenses that needed some work (on the fish eyes if I recall?) but I never heard of anybody that had his Samyang lense working well then halt.