Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rokinon 135mm F2 for Pentax now shipping

Just got an e-mail update from B&H. Looks like the new 135mm is finally here in the K-mount!

Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC Lens for Pentax K Mount 135M-P B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cool! Now all we need is a decent modern 28/2.8 for FF

Steve
03-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How about taking a look at this?

Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Wide-Angle Lens for Pentax RK24M-P
03-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! Now all we need is a decent modern 28/2.8 for FF

Steve

And a decent modern 20ish mm FF lens for me.

03-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just got an e-mail update from B&H. Looks like the new 135mm is finally here in the K-mount!

Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC Lens for Pentax K Mount 135M-P B&H
So much lust.
03-27-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think I will rather stick to my vintage glass - not sure how better this one will be though, compared to some lenses that I have but at $549 - which will most likely be translated to £499 for the UK market, I will rather pass. Besides just look at the size and weight of this thing XD

I bet there are areas where so fast glass (1 stop faster than f2.8) will be necessary, but for me it would really need to pay off to invest this much money and to carry such a bulk for just 135mm lens.

Front filter thread :77 mm
Weight : 28.92 oz (820 g)

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 08:07 AM ----------

And finally NO 'A' CONTACTS ? Are they PISSING on us, pentaxians ??
How difficult it is to add a few holes in the mount with some electric contacts and redesign the aperture mechanism to support that, This is ridiculous to design a new lens with no intention of making it fully usable for various metering modes , you know - people were doing it 30 years ago you know , even cheap knock-off Sirius zoom that I have as a paper weight has electric contacts and 'A' setting XD

Last edited by manntax; 03-27-2015 at 01:07 AM.
03-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
And finally NO 'A' CONTACTS ? Are they PISSING on us, pentaxians ?? How difficult it is to add a few holes in the mount with some electric contacts and redesign the aperture mechanism to support that, This is ridiculous to design a new lens with no intention of making it fully usable for various metering modes , you know - people were doing it 30 years ago you know , even cheap knock-off Sirius zoom that I have as a paper weight has electric contacts and 'A' setting XD
I for one am surprised by the omission.I don't get why they would make so many lenses with an "A" contact, yet leave it out of their newest lens.

03-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

And finally NO 'A' CONTACTS ?
It would be a rare SamYang Pentax lens that lacked an A setting. Not all of the ads for SamYang lenses display it, but the A setting is always there.

South Korea has a lot of K-mount users, due to the Pentax/Samsung history ...

Personally, I already have a M 135 f3.5 and a Takumar K-mount 135 f2.5, so this lens does not interest me a great deal on Pentax.
03-27-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it doesn't have an A setting. Almost all the Samyang lenses thus far have got it, and I don't see why this one wouldn't. Adverts and catalog listings often show photos of the lens versions made for other mounts, so you don't see the A on the aperture ring. My suggestion is, buy one and then if it doesn't have the A, send it back. Or else wait for somebody else to get one and find out. That probably won't be long.
03-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it doesn't have an A setting. Almost all the Samyang lenses thus far have got it, and I don't see why this one wouldn't. Adverts and catalog listings often show photos of the lens versions made for other mounts, so you don't see the A on the aperture ring. My suggestion is, buy one and then if it doesn't have the A, send it back. Or else wait for somebody else to get one and find out. That probably won't be long.
It doesn't look too professional , when a company develops $500+ lens, presumably investing millions in the process, and fails to take a proper photo of their product for the targeted audience, does it ? I am not on the market for such lens, but one wonders occasionally, what do some people get paid for...
03-27-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't look too professional , when a company develops $500+ lens, presumably investing millions in the process, and fails to take a proper photo of their product for the targeted audience, does it ? I am not on the market for such lens, but one wonders occasionally, what do some people get paid for...
I'm actually surprised that re-using the photo of one mount of a lens for the others isn't more common. They use the same packaging and manuals, for instance. It would be tempting.
03-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think the pictures on B&H's website are not the final product. Never mind the communication contacts on the mount, I don't even see an aperture lever. Even the $300 Samyang lenses have the requisite contacts to properly control aperture and exposure on K-mount.

I wonder how it compares to the most similar lens currently available from Pentax, the DFA 100. The Pentax offers autofocus, WR, compact size, and 1:1 close focusing. The Samyang has a bit more focal length and a wider aperture. Sharpness, distortion, contrast, etc. would need a head to head comparison. Will the Samyang appeal to anyone but astrophotgraphers and thin DOF addicts?
03-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think the pictures on B&H's website are not the final product. Never mind the communication contacts on the mount, I don't even see an aperture lever. Even the $300 Samyang lenses have the requisite contacts to properly control aperture and exposure on K-mount.

I wonder how it compares to the most similar lens currently available from Pentax, the DFA 100. The Pentax offers autofocus, WR, compact size, and 1:1 close focusing. The Samyang has a bit more focal length and a wider aperture. Sharpness, distortion, contrast, etc. would need a head to head comparison. Will the Samyang appeal to anyone but astrophotgraphers and thin DOF addicts?
It will most likely be excellent for portraits, video, manual focus fans, and low-light sitations.
03-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think I will rather stick to my vintage glass - not sure how better this one will be though, compared to some lenses that I have but at $549 - which will most likely be translated to £499 for the UK market, I will rather pass. Besides just look at the size and weight of this thing XD

I bet there are areas where so fast glass (1 stop faster than f2.8) will be necessary, but for me it would really need to pay off to invest this much money and to carry such a bulk for just 135mm lens.

Front filter thread :77 mm
Weight : 28.92 oz (820 g)

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 08:07 AM ----------

How difficult it is to add a few holes in the mount with some electric contacts and redesign the aperture mechanism to support that, This is ridiculous to design a new lens with no intention of making it fully usable for various metering modes , you know - people were doing it 30 years ago you know , even cheap knock-off Sirius zoom that I have as a paper weight has electric contacts and 'A' setting XD
Ughh... that's crazy. The Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 has all the contacts.
03-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
The Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 has all the contacts.
But I remember when I bought my Rokinon 85 1.4 a few years ago, all the illustrations I saw (including the seller's advertisement) showed no 'A' setting on the lens. In fact, even looking at the picture on the lens box for the 85 f1.4, it also shows no 'A' setting on the lens. But the lens itself, of course, has that feature.

We have also had this discussion before about the Pentax mount Samyang 14mm f2.8, which also never appears to have an 'A' setting in any advertisements. But it is there.

I bet the 135 Samyang is following the same script.