Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Another Option

As mentioned in another post, a screw-on diopter can convert a normal 200 or 300 tele into a macro or near macro performer. When traveling by air and limited to less lenses than I'd like, I leave my FA*200 Macro at home--no lie--and use a Canon 500D Apochromatic Close Up Lens, which is a screw in multi-element optic.

I've used this add-on particularly with an FA*80-200/2.8. It also shoots publication quality images with the FA*300/4.5 and even with a Sigma 300/4. It works superbly for larger than 1:1 with my Pentax 67 and 100/4 Macro too (this len comes with a multi-element close up attachment to which I attach the lens shade and then stack on the Canon close-up lens too. The strange trumpet shaped shade extends the distance to the Canon screw-in far enought that it counts as tele distance--the 500D only works with teles. If any item in this ridiculous chain is below par, the images would degrade badly, yet they don't).

I'm no Canon fan, but for under $150 (B&H) you can convert most teles into fine macro lenses--though most of the combo's above don't quite get all the way to 1:1. They definitely get almost to 1:1.

I've never tried the Canon close-up lens on a lens other than pretty high end glass, but you can presume that this approach will work best on quality teles with ED glass--like the OP already owns. You'll know within 5 minutes of opening the package if you like the results with this handy accessory item.

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 06-22-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: details
06-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Khardur, The Kenko Uniplus 25 will AF with your lens. It is the only one that will af. Has the shaft drive builtin.

Ron Boggs, you are right about dual element closeup filters. I have two Nikons T5 & T6. Also my original Sigma 50-200 apo came with a Sigma one. These are very high quality lenses. When used on a quality lens they are wonderful. I have used them on many 35mm lenses (love it on my Olympus 180 2.8) and also Pentax 6x7 165 2.8 and 200 4. They don't work well on Pentax 70-210A 4 manul focus zoom. Really the only tele they haven't worked well on. Need to try on Pentax 55-300! Could be interesting. Biggest disadvantage to filters is the loss of continuos focusing from 1:1 to infinity. My original Oly OM macros didn't all have this. Would hate to lose it now.

Didn't realize Canon had one of these filters. Will have to check that out. See what size. Ones I have are all 62mm.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Thanks for the added great info...Forgot to mention the focus issue--no infinity and not even close to infinity. With the close-up installed, your lens is only useful at close-up range, but heck, that's what you screwed it on for anyway!

Canon makes several thread sizes. I use a 77mm so it fits several of my lenses directly and can be stepped down with adapter rings. They also make a 250D Close Up Lens that is designed for shorter, non tele lenses.

I'd be willing to bet that Mr. Jones will be favorably impressed with the results from a high quality multi-element close up lens. To me, this is just another accessory item like filters and batteries...