Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
last summer i traveld italy for 3 weeks from top to bottom and back, however, of your list i only visited rome. i only took my 21mm ltd with me and the M50/1.7, and surprisingly it was really fine. i took people shots, portrait (half & full body), landscapes, general street photography, architecture and night photography. unfortunately i didnt have a tripod with me so i had sometimes to use high iso, when i didnt find a place to rest my camera on.
the 21mm was pretty much glued to the camera, if i needed somethign wider i just took a panorama. but most of the time (>90%) the focal length was pretty much perfect for everything.
so, i would suggest you, travel light but bring a tripod. especially in pisa (i have been there before) you might want to take pictures of the tower at night if you dont want all the tourists in your shoot playing thriller. or take a ND filter that gives you a few seconds of exposure to eliminate all the people.
out of your lens portfolio i would lean towards mostly wide angle.
10 - 17
20 - 40
and perhaps the 31mm, or something that gives you great starbursts. makes night pictures really pop
and if it fits, something a little longer. since sometimes my 50mm was necessary to get that shot.
note however, i dont own any of these lenses, so all i can take for my consideration are pictures i've seen here.
hope that helps, have a good trip and dont forget to bring your charger and sd- cards

03-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I really appreciate all of your thoughts. I should be able to get to three lenses rather easily it seems. I may go for the 12-24, 20-40 and the 18-135. Then throw in the 43 for night. I also carry a Sony RX100iii which does surprisingly well in low light.
03-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
We are headed to Italy for a couple of weeks this summer. Rome,Pisa,Florence ,Venice . I would like to get by with no more than 3 lenses. Sometimes having a nice selection of lenses can be confusing when you only want to bring a few.
Out of these choices, what 3 would you suggest
FA 31,43,77
DA 20-40, 18-135, 12-24, 10-17, 55-300mm
DA* 16-50

I have been going through the possibilities but would like to hear from others who have been to Italy or have an opinion
Regards
Gary, sounds like you have a great trip coming up. From my experiences with travel photography, lens selection is highly driven by how much time you have. If you're on a fast-moving tour with others, you won't have much time to fiddle around changing lenses. OTOH, if you're completely on your own schedule, you can spend as much time as you wish manipulating your gear. Well, as much time as your wife will tolerate. Best to get a handle on those factors first which will really help you in figuring out which lenses to bring.
03-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We will have one week to ourselves then one week that will have some scheduled excursions. I have considered buying a DA18-270mm just for this trip but I think the 18-135 would suffice. I have been on too many trips with a 20+lb backpack and would like to lighten the load on this trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Gary, sounds like you have a great trip coming up. From my experiences with travel photography, lens selection is highly driven by how much time you have. If you're on a fast-moving tour with others, you won't have much time to fiddle around changing lenses. OTOH, if you're completely on your own schedule, you can spend as much time as you wish manipulating your gear. Well, as much time as your wife will tolerate. Best to get a handle on those factors first which will really help you in figuring out which lenses to bring.

03-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

We are headed to Italy for a couple of weeks this summer. Rome,Pisa,Florence ,Venice . I would like to get by with no more than 3 lenses. Sometimes having a nice selection of lenses can be confusing when you only want to bring a few.
Out of these choices, what 3 would you suggest
FA 31,43,77
DA 20-40, 18-135, 12-24, 10-17, 55-300mm
DA* 16-50

I have been going through the possibilities but would like to hear from others who have been to Italy or have an opinion
Regards
Of your selection I'd choose the 31,43 & the 77.
I might add that an epic trip like this call for a DA15....treat yourself before you go....size matters and the DA15 is a pleasure to have on the camera.
03-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We're going this summer too, and I've been wondering the same thing. I was thinking of getting the Pentax 16-85 or a Sigma 18-125 on a K30. I don't like the idea of swapping so much in a humid environment. I was thinking of bringing a DA15 on a K-01 too. Maybe a DA35 f2.4 also for lower light shots.
03-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would take the 18-135 for general use, then the 31 and 77 for low light conditions (night and interiors). Weight would be a big concern for me.

---------- Post added 03-30-15 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I might add that an epic trip like this call for a DA15....treat yourself before you go....size matters and the DA15 is a pleasure to have on the camera.
\

I do like the all prime option, in which case you should add the DA15 (SMC version?) Question is: how quick and smooth are you with lens changes and would the weather make you want a WR? Of course, primes are why people have two camera bodies. Zooms are much more versatile.
Make sure you carry extra batteries. I would hate for you to run out of power towards the end of the day. One reason I often think about taking my KX with a SMC-A 35-70 and a few rolls of 400 speed film.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 03-30-2015 at 07:52 AM.
03-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sold my DA limiteds last fall. I have wished I would have kept the DA15 at times. Problem I have is that if I carry the 16-50, I get good speed and wide angle. Not sure if 1mm would be worth carrying another prime vs taking the 16-50 and the 12-24. And you are right , size matters when hauling stuff around for a couple of weeks. Last summer we went to Japan for 11 days. I bought a Panasonic G5 , 14-140 and 20mm for that trip. I hated the handling and menus of the Panasonic. It was nice and light but It was the second time I tried M43 and was just not impressed with the handling of the equipment. I am back to Pentax for my travel rig......

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
03-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
would like to lighten the load on this trip
My offer stands...
03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LOL!. Then my wife would not have anything to carry

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My offer stands...
03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Then my wife would not have anything to carry
She would be able to carry all the gifts she's going to buy for all the folks back home, could be an expensive trip.
03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are quite correct. She does not mind carrying the memory cards every evening though....
I don't like for her to get the memory cards before they go through lightroom......
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
She would be able to carry all the gifts she's going to buy for all the folks back home, could be an expensive trip.
03-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like for her to get the memory cards before they go through lightroom......
Now I am intrigued...