Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question About Using an M42 Lens with a ZX-M Body

Hi, all,

I was hoping someone would address this after I posted to the "M42" thread started by Dilworth. Anyway, here is what I had posted...

"I have been using screwmount lenses on both my Spotmatic F and adapted ZX-M. Since the Spot F instruction manual said to use the "auto" setting, that is what I have been using. According to what is being said here [in the Dilworth "M42" thread], I guess I have been using the lenses incorrectly on my ZX-M. Thus, with regard to my ZX-M, I have just shot nearly an entire roll of film at wide-open aperture? Time for the trash can..."

To be blunt: with the ZX-M, do I need to set an M42 lens to "manual" prior to releasing the shutter? I will also add that all of my M42 lenses do, indeed, have the "auto/man" switch. I have mostly SMC lenses, but a few Super Takumars, too.

Thanks,
Glen

06-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be blunt: Yes, you do. The ZX-M does not have the lever to stop the aperture down automagically. You'll have to set your lenses to Manual, frame, focus, select aperture, then shoot (assuming you're in Av and not M mode. if in M, you'll have to set exposure as well).
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank you for your bluntness, ftpaddict--I needed it

Before I forget: could I focus and compose in "auto" and then switch to "manual" before taking the shot? Would there be any benefit in doing this?

Thanks,
Glen
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
could I focus and compose in "auto" and then switch to "manual" before taking the shot? Would there be any benefit in doing this?
To me it just seems like an extra step to do. However, I do see the benefits of this method - pre-select the aperture on the lens, do all the focusing/composing/bla bla bla things you need to do, and right before shooting, switch to manual to stop down the lens. If you know where the switch is located, you avoid having to pull the camera away from your eye to set the aperture.

So yes, it can definitely be done.

06-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...I was thinking that it might be advantageous because one could then focus at wide open aperture (i.e with maximum brightness), and then close down when taking the picture.
06-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
If you know where the switch is located, you avoid having to pull the camera away from your eye to set the aperture.
I set the aperture with the camera still to my eye. All you have to do is know where you started and count clicks.
06-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I set the aperture with the camera still to my eye. All you have to do is know where you started and count clicks.
That is also an option, but I have M42 lenses that do not have click stops.