Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 300mm f/2.8 DG Durability?

Being a pentax user (K10D) and needing/wanting a fast telephoto lens, we Pentaxians are very limited to the choices we have. The Sigma 300mm I have not heard/read much about; does anyone have any info to offer on the performance & durability of this lens, particularly with use of either the Sigma 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverters?

This lens seems to be "bubbling up" to me more and more. I want fast glass, but I also want glass that can handle the test of time and take a few bumps and brouses here and there. I want this to be my mid-level wildlife lens and will be primarily be shooting mamals first, perhaps birds with the use of the teleconverters, but my real obsession is to shoot Wild Turkey. I have been hunting Gobblers since the late 80's and still enjoy the excitement it offers. I want to add to the challenge and pursue this great bird by viewing it through the lens!

Thanks.

06-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Durability of Siggy 300mm should be very good. Its also a very good lens optically, and build quality is very high.

Sigma teleconverters however... is another matter.

A friend of mine went on a surfing trip with the 300mm with 1,4 and 2x converters from Sigma and the 2x actually split in the middle..........
Optical quality is good with their teleconverters, but the build quality is not as good as I would have wanted.

It really depends on how much strain you are going to put on the TC's though. I can't imagine my friend being that careful with them. He's known to be a careless guy with his equipment.

Still. Sigma 300 2.8 = very good lens (but a little slower AF on Pentax than N/C due to lack of HSM)

Sigma TC's = good, but not great build quality.

(too bad you dont live here, or i could have lent the 300mm to you for testing. Its a heavy piece of glass)

Last edited by Shashinki; 06-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Shashinki,

Thank you for the info. Where do you call home? I am in New Orleans, LA and I too wish I was closer to test this lens.

FYI...I found a very interesting/informative review on this lens, check it out here:

Lens Review - Sigma 300/2.8 HSM EX

Thanks!