Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lenses do you protect with filters?
I protect all my lenses. 2522.94%
I don't protect any. 4642.20%
I protect certain lenses. 1513.76%
I don't think about it, I just use filters when needed. 2321.10%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess you mean filters other than graduated or polarizing. I use a UV filter when in sandy, dusty and or windy condition.
Other than that, I donīt even use front caps. My lens either have the front element quite recessed or the hood adds enough protection*.

*Except DA10-17 that I always cap.

03-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Only use a filter when there is blowing sand. Like at the beach in a hurricane.

03-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
They actually did ! E.g. you can still read in older Asahi pentax lenses manuals that they recommended using the filter at all times - and not only because those were film times, but they explicitly mention protective function of it. I recall that from one of the older manuals I had for some Asahi lenses ( not sure which one was it)

Anyway , I normally don't use any filters, and prefer substantial lens hoods on , but on some occasion I use filter for protection , if I expect to experience any risk factors
Yes, blue haze was a problem with film cameras and a sky filter was recommended to control that. Not a problem with digital though.
But can anyone find (and post) evidence of a lens maker recommending you keep a filter screwed to the lens for 'protection' at all times?
03-31-2015, 04:55 PM   #19

sometimes put a circular pol filter on. But 99% of the time: no filter.

UV on a digital camera are just a scam. And protection? What protection?

03-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I chose answer (d), though in practice it's closer to (b). I do put on a filter on rare occasion when I remember to do so
to protect against dust, salt or mist. I keep a CP in the bag but rarely think to use it.

As for protection.... At the risk of invoking a major jinx, I don't drop things. In the past 15 years I've dropped my cellphone
just once from waist level. The thin silicon shell, (there more for traction when resting on a slanted surface than impact
protection), was more than enough to protect the cellphone in the fall. And in the past 25+ years I've 'dropped' a camera
only once. The strap caught on a table corner and it banged around quite a bit on the wall and table leg before I regained
control. No actual impact with the ground and the camera, (K10D), was fine.
03-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Which lenses do you protect with filters?
None. That's what lens hoods are for. Never damaged a lens in the 49 years shooting Pentax.
03-31-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Each time this question arises I remember what photographer John Shaw says in one of his books:

ĻSome photographers leave UV or haze filters permanently mounted on their lenses, saying that doing so offers protection for the lenses. I've often wondered what they are protecting against. If it is dirt and fingerprints, then the filter should be taken off before every shot, otherwise, they are shooting through all that dirt. Of course, they could keep the filter clean, but why not then just keep the lens clean?"

I only use filters when I need the specific effect provided by it, which is most of the time a polarizer and some times ND. Never for protection.
03-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #23
sbc
Forum Member

Because I use Skylight instead of protector or UV, I ended up using filters for all my lenses, including cheap DAL. All the filters are the same Hoya brand same S-HMC series just to maintain consistent white balance for all the lenses when using manual WB.

03-31-2015, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Filters are for special effects only IMHO.
I'd like to give a practical example of when a (high quality) filter can increase the quality of a picture. This is a technique I use.

I shoot exclusively raw. In shooting conditions with very low color temperature (say 3300K) and very high dynamic range, such as at some concerts and stages. You lose some dynamic range in the red channel due to overexposure clipping if you don't use a cooling filter. Why not just decrease the exposure so that the red channel doesn't clip? Because then the blue channel is underexposed. Oh sure, you can do color adjustment in raw after the fact, but you're not getting the best s/n ratio to all three channels (RGB) and the smoothness of the photos is not as good.

Hopefully this is an easy to understand case where a filter will increase the technical quality of the photo and has nothing to do with special effects.
03-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
I shoot exclusively raw. In shooting conditions with very low color temperature (say 3300K) and very high dynamic range, such as at some concerts and stages. You lose some dynamic range in the red channel due to overexposure clipping if you don't use a cooling filter. Why not just decrease the exposure so that the red channel doesn't clip? Because then the blue channel is underexposed. Oh sure, you can do color adjustment in raw after the fact, but you're not getting the best s/n ratio to all three channels (RGB) and the smoothness of the photos is not as good.
wow, I didnīt know or think of this great tip! Thank you so much for sharing.. I`ll try it shortly.
03-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Um, no, though I feel a bit protective when the cap comes off.

03-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After I saw reflections caused by an UV filter (double moons in a night shot with the DA55-300), I no longer use them under most conditions. I will use them in very extreme conditions (e.g blistering sandstorm).
03-31-2015, 09:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

nothing to do with special effects.
That is indeed a special effect - modifying white balance. But not protection.
03-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I protect most of my lenses with B+W filters. Those that I don't are my three Limiteds....I found it difficult to fit them and my 10-17 Fisheye, which I believe cannot be fitted with a filter. I'm careful with my camera lenses...filtered or not, though.
03-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I use filters when necessary... Basically just B&W these days since switching to Ektar for color. I'm careful enough with gear, and using all manual focus lenses, having a nice filter would cost as much as having an extra lens.

Plus, in both accidents I've ever had dropping lenses, both have been OK without any 'protective' filters.