Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Questions on some old Pentax lenses

Hello everybody-

A bit of background: I recently bought a Fuji XT1 and found out that these cameras can be adapted to use older manual lenses with a simple adapter. My goal is to learn to be a proficient photographer and figured learning how to take pictures manually would be a good way to that.

My dad gave me an old Pentax camera with a 50mm f2 lens that I bought an adapter for and I've enjoyed the experience so much I started looking for other manual lenses.

This leads me to my question: Last week I picked up a camera kit with some lenses - a bit of an impulse buy I admit (paid $100)- and don't really know anything about the lenses other than one is "faster" than the one I have. They seem to work well and basically look brand new (all the original cases and caps) but I would like to know more about them from those in the know.

They are:

Takumar 50mm 1.4
Takumar 35mm 3.5
Takumar 135mm 3.5
Lentar 200mm 5.5

Any information would be appreciated.

04-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,600
That's a pretty good deal! Those first three are Pentax screwmount lenses, and you can read more about them here:
Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You need a different adapter for those than the 50mm F2, but it should still be doable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 844
All are likely to be M42 mount (the lentar being t-mount, but if you bought it with m42 lenses, it's probably set up for m42).

Is that lentar the 200 f4.5, or 300 f5.5? Some info on the maker here:

Lenco - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

And on the 200 mm :

Tele-Lentar 200mm f/4.5 preset - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

And some tests of the 200 on e-mount (short story, it's usable but nothing too special)
The Battle of the 200

You've lucked out on the taks though. The 50 f1.4 is very highly regarded for its bokeh!
04-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,209
QuoteOriginally posted by Thos. Quote
Hello everybody-

A bit of background: I recently bought a Fuji XT1 and found out that these cameras can be adapted to use older manual lenses with a simple adapter. My goal is to learn to be a proficient photographer and figured learning how to take pictures manually would be a good way to that.

My dad gave me an old Pentax camera with a 50mm f2 lens that I bought an adapter for and I've enjoyed the experience so much I started looking for other manual lenses.

This leads me to my question: Last week I picked up a camera kit with some lenses - a bit of an impulse buy I admit (paid $100)- and don't really know anything about the lenses other than one is "faster" than the one I have. They seem to work well and basically look brand new (all the original cases and caps) but I would like to know more about them from those in the know.

They are:

Takumar 50mm 1.4
Takumar 35mm 3.5
Takumar 135mm 3.5
Lentar 200mm 5.5

Any information would be appreciated.
It's a pretty good deal, and depending on the version of the 50/1.4 this one lens could be worth the whole value on its own. Also the lentar 200/5.5 is this a typo. There are some F3.5 200 mm lenses out there that are pretty good

04-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,300
The 50/1.4 is likely the radioactive 7-element version. It is likely to have some yellowing. You can de-yellow it with UV light. Some have reported good results with a hand held UV sanitizer, or with a lamp from IKEA.

JANSJÖ LED work lamp - black - IKEA
04-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a pretty good deal! Those first three are Pentax screwmount lenses, and you can read more about them here:
Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You need a different adapter for those than the 50mm F2, but it should still be doable.
Yes it appears they are screw mount lenses. That database has an incredible amount of information! Thank you

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
All are likely to be M42 mount (the lentar being t-mount, but if you bought it with m42 lenses, it's probably set up for m42).

Is that lentar the 200 f4.5, or 300 f5.5? Some info on the maker here:

Lenco - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

And on the 200 mm :

Tele-Lentar 200mm f/4.5 preset - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

And some tests of the 200 on e-mount (short story, it's usable but nothing too special)
The Battle of the 200

You've lucked out on the taks though. The 50 f1.4 is very highly regarded for its bokeh!
Upon closer inspection it is indeed a 300mm lens. I've been doing a little research on it today and there's not much out there. However it looks identical to the vivitar 300mm 5.5. Maybe it was made by the same manufacturer?

Thanks for the information!

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It's a pretty good deal, and depending on the version of the 50/1.4 this one lens could be worth the whole value on its own. Also the lentar 200/5.5 is this a typo. There are some F3.5 200 mm lenses out there that are pretty good
You are right about the type-o. Its a 300mm 5.5. Thank you

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 50/1.4 is likely the radioactive 7-element version. It is likely to have some yellowing. You can de-yellow it with UV light. Some have reported good results with a hand held UV sanitizer, or with a lamp from IKEA.

JANSJÖ LED work lamp - black - IKEA
It does have a yellowish tint to it. I actually have one of those lamps. I'll give it a shot. Do you know how long this process takes on average?
Thank you for taking the time to post
04-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,300
QuoteOriginally posted by Thos. Quote
Yes it appears they are screw mount lenses. That database has an incredible amount of information! Thank you

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 12:56 PM ----------



Upon closer inspection it is indeed a 300mm lens. I've been doing a little research on it today and there's not much out there. However it looks identical to the vivitar 300mm 5.5. Maybe it was made by the same manufacturer?

Thanks for the information!

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 12:59 PM ----------



You are right about the type-o. Its a 300mm 5.5. Thank you

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 01:02 PM ----------



It does have a yellowish tint to it. I actually have one of those lamps. I'll give it a shot. Do you know how long this process takes on average?
Thank you for taking the time to post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/291674-ikea...umar-lens.html
04-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Original Poster
Thank you

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, 50mm, adapter, bit, camera, database, k-mount, lens, lenses, lentar, m42, mm, pentax, pentax lens, pm, post, screwmount, slr lens, takumar, uv, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie questions on some old primes coliver80 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 12-07-2014 12:46 PM
Choice of lenses; some general questions about Pentax gear c3p0 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 27 01-18-2012 04:53 AM
Newbie with some questions on some old lenses bigted Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 10-16-2011 06:44 PM
Questions on old lenses bobartex Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 04-28-2009 12:36 PM
some questions re old 50mm... eclipsed450 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-21-2008 02:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top