Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #1

Auto Chinon 35-80 - lens mount trimming

Jut bought an Auto Chinon 35-80 mm, f:3.5-4.9, in excellent condition, I'm planning to use it on my pentax K-5, but the lens mount needs some trimming, in order to fit properly. Any ideas, how to do it, so the optics, mechanics wont be damaged? I mean, if I use some kind of saw, maybe some metal particles might get into the lens body, obstructing the optics, mechanics, etc. so, if I'd have a better option, I'd avoid the previously mentioned one.

04-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why do you have to trim it? Does it focus at infinity? If it does, leave it alone. If it doesn't, it might be your mount. I have sold many Chinons and never had that problem.
04-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Why do you have to trim it? Does it focus at infinity? If it does, leave it alone. If it doesn't, it might be your mount. I have sold many Chinons and never had that problem.
Because with some lenses the flange that protects the aperture pin hits parts in a modern DSLR preventing mounting.
04-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Because with some lenses the flange that protects the aperture pin hits parts in a modern DSLR preventing mounting.
Daaaaaa...Sometimes my mind does not work correctly as in this case. I was thinking M42 mount not K mount. I understand what you are talking about. I had that problem with an 1stDs and it cost some dollars to have the camera fixed, but have not had the problem with my K5. If the lens mounts easily it won't hurt anything. DON'T FORCE IT! If you insist on fixing it, take the mount off the lens, tape it up to protect from filings and do the job on a belt sander if you have one. If not, use a fine file.

04-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Discussed here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/292092-auto...-trimming.html

One thread seems sufficient.
Closed Thread