Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any interchangeable lens camera. A lot of places ban tripods too

04-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The GR is a fantastic camera and you keep it until it doesn't work anymore which could be a few years. However a lens is for life. A quality lens is always going to outlive a camera body. Maybe that could be a consideration.
04-02-2015, 04:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm really surprised that at until this point, nobody has said:

"GET BOTH!!!"

04-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm confused, ILC cameras aren't DSLRs. So you too have not seen a ban on DSLRs or did I misunderstand?
From the view point of the event owner/management all DSLRs are ILCs but not all ILCs are DSLRs. If they do not allow a Q, good luck getting a D810 into the event 😂!

04-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Goofy question and goofy logic in some of these replies. The GR is a 28mm, why would one ask about a 15mm(22mm)? the two items serve different purposes. Like some have said, buy both. But stating the GR has higher IQ than a K3/15mm is asinine at best.
04-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by BennyBoy Quote
Goofy question and goofy logic in some of these replies. The GR is a 28mm, why would one ask about a 15mm(22mm)? the two items serve different purposes. Like some have said, buy both. But stating the GR has higher IQ than a K3/15mm is asinine at best.
I believe the GR is about 18mm. I don't have the 15mm, but I feel the GR has better overall IQ than the K3/21mm. Clearly sharper, and better colours. IMO the low light/high ISO IQ of the GR is superior, but it does have trouble focussing, whereas the K3/21mm does not.
04-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #22

The nikon coolpix A can now be found for around 350 dollars on the used market, i just bought one and it has great IQ and what I assume is the same sensor as the k5/ gr. Something to think about.

04-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #23

I have used both during a winter walk through my home village's country side. My DA 15 was paired with a K5. Overall, I think the limited is much more flare resistant than the GR and one thing that convinced me that it was worth dragging around both cameras were the starbursts of the DA15. They really made some photographs. Here, the GR was producing more boring blobs of sun. I think this might be a thing to consider particularly for landscape photography.

However, all the other points are equally valid: The GR's increased aperture will be nice in low light, it's a good second camera, much better than most point and shoots, and it does take stunning photographs, particularly in places where interchangeable lens cameras are banned. So maybe you should get both? Hmmm.

Pentax K5 + DA15

@f13

@f13

@f13

@f13

@f18

@f8

@f13

Ricoh GR

@f8

@f8

@f10

@f13

And here's the GR at a gig:

Last edited by antipattern; 04-09-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added f-stops, removed some pictures for more representative ones
04-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
I have used both during a winter walk through my home village's country side. My DA 15 was paired with a K5. Overall, I think the limited is much more flare resistant than the GR and one thing that convinced me that it was worth dragging around both cameras were the starbursts of the DA15. They really made some photographs. Here, the GR was producing more boring blobs of sun. I think this might be a thing to consider particularly for landscape photography.

However, all the other points are equally valid: The GR's increased aperture will be nice in low light, it's a good second camera, much better than most point and shoots, and it does take stunning photographs, particularly in places where interchangeable lens cameras are banned. So maybe you should get both? Hmmm.

[B]Pentax K5 + DA15[/

Ricoh GR

And here's the GR at a gig:

Just curious - with regard to the Starburst shots; were the apertures the same for both cameras? If so, do you know if the gr improves when stopped down?
04-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by addess765 Quote
Greeting all..

I was an owner of k5iis and fa43,dfa100, 18-135 before I sold all of them (except 18-135) then bought a green GR...
Wait wait wait: you got the gorgeous limited edition GR...

And then got rid of it!?

Just kidding, just kidding! But I know if I wrapped my grubby paws around one of those beauties, I'd never be letting go!
Attached Images

04-09-2015, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Just curious - with regard to the Starburst shots; were the apertures the same for both cameras? If so, do you know if the gr improves when stopped down?
I just added f-numbers, so you can see yourself. I shot the GR with slightly lower values, and they seem to improve slightly. So maybe I didn't quite capture the GR's potential. However, as you can see in the last GR picture, even though the starbursts are quite ok, they are nowhere near as great-looking as the DA15's.

These two pictures are under very similar conditions and same f-stop:

Ricoh GR @f13

Pentax K5 + SMC DA15 @f13

Last edited by antipattern; 04-09-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added example pictures
04-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
I just added f-numbers, so you can see yourself. I shot the GR with slightly lower values, and they seem to improve slightly. So maybe I didn't quite capture the GR's potential. However, as you can see in the last GR picture, even though the starbursts are quite ok, they are nowhere near as great-looking as the DA15's.

These two pictures are under very similar conditions and same f-stop:

Ricoh GR @f13

Pentax K5 + SMC DA15 @f13
Thanks for this. The 15 is known for great starbursts. It is nice to see how the gr compares. I have to admit I prefer the gr shot in your last post. The little flare and slightly darker exposure work well with the immage. Great shot!
04-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm confused, you had a K-5ii and decided a GR would be better, then got rid of that for a K-3 and you're now asking if a different lens focal length (to the GR) will get you shots like those you got from a camera you didn't like (the GR)?

The GR is a completely different animal to a DSLR, as you know it goes in a shirt pocket and can be taken anywhere. That said, as you've already bought & sold a GR, I'd suggest another lens for your K-3 would be more versatile, but I'd look at the DA12-24 as many seem to regard it equal or better compared to the DA15 IQ wise and it is more versatile.

Last edited by johnha; 04-10-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Minor changes