Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
OK as requested, test shots are here. Almost all are wide open at f2.8 (worst case for sharpness, vignetting, etc). A couple are at f4. Tests are at both extreme ends of the zoom as well. Lots of contrast, lots of detail in the pics.

This lens is great! It is sharp everywhere. Click on the "original size" for each picture if you really want to see how good it is.

Oh yeah, BONUS points if you can tell me the buildings,or where these were taken.

Tamron 17-50 Test shots - a set on Flickr

Wow, those are some great looking shots. I may have to consider this to replace the 16-45.....really would be nice to get that stop.

06-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #17

OK as requested, test shots are here. Almost all are forced wide open at f2.8 (worst case for sharpness, vignetting, etc). A couple are at f4. Tests are at both extreme ends of the zoom as well. Lots of contrast, lots of detail in the pics.

This lens is great! It is sharp everywhere. Click on the "original size" for each picture if you really want to see how good it is.

Oh yeah, BONUS points if you can tell me the buildings,or where these were taken.

Wow. That's pretty sharp.

Bonus points try: I'd say that's the Oklohama State University Student Union. Didn't know they were celebrating 100 years of Greek life... Looks like that roof might have a couple loose shingles too...
06-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roger.hayslip Quote
Wow. That's pretty sharp.

Bonus points try: I'd say that's the Oklohama State University Student Union. Didn't know they were celebrating 100 years of Greek life... Looks like that roof might have a couple loose shingles too...
Bingo!! Either one of two things must be true: either you have been to OSU, or even at f2.8 the lens is so sharp that you read that tiny little sign in the 50mm picture.
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #19

Bingo!! Either one of two things must be true: either you have been to OSU, or even at f2.8 the lens is so sharp that you read that tiny little sign in the 50mm picture.
Well I am familiar with your OSU logo. I'm an alumnus of another OSU. I've had people confuse my Block O with your logo or even Oregon State's.

But the little greek sign was plenty sharp enough to read. And I was serious about a couple of those shingles. Looking at the far right roof of the shot that contained the greek life sign. It looked like four or five shingles were loose.

But man what a sharp lens. Enjoy it!

06-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK as requested, test shots are here. Almost all are forced wide open at f2.8 (worst case for sharpness, vignetting, etc). A couple are at f4. Tests are at both extreme ends of the zoom as well. Lots of contrast, lots of detail in the pics.

Thanks for all the great feedbacks, test shots and report of the lens. I can't wait till my ban from LBA to be lifted on 7/15/08.
I set out the challenge with bunch of folks in photo.net on tax date on 4/15/08 for not buying any lens/cameras for 3 months and my 1st thought is on this lens and that of DA 35 when I am released from the ban.

You have me convinced in this discussion thread that I am looking after the right lens. I have been a Tamron fans with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro and I have been eying on this Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 along with Tamron 90 SP f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and the Tamron 10-24 f/2.8.

Looks like my bag will be filled with Tamron more likely than others

Last edited by hinman; 06-05-2008 at 09:34 PM.
06-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you very much. Looks like a viable alternative to the DA*, especially considering the relative cost and size/weight. Noticed a bit of CA, but I suppose that is to be expected from extremely wide angle zoom lenses. Looks like you have a winner. Now, how to fit it into the budget. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

p.s. Downloaded the full rez versions. Will look at the f/4 ones later.
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Thanks for opinions everyone,

I'm just about ordering one myself.. Maybe some owner with experience of this Tammy could elaborate a bit more specifically on the AF sound/NOISE issue ?? I remember I once saw a movie on 'you tub' with 17-50 on a C**n body and it was sooo squeeky and zzzz-kind of noisy... Sorry, can't test it myself..

Thanks again
06-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #23

thought i might add this to the list

i love my Tammy 17-50. Used it one day on an overcast sky and with lots of time in a gazebo. Didn't really need my flash for it. nice and fast.

i'm weighing up if that extra 1mm and weatherproofing is worth the 700-1.2K (depending on where i buy it.. we get pwned in australia) for the DA*. ATM, it does't look like it, especially with all these problems

06-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tmt79: Build quality is very good. No "squeeking" whatsoever. You may be talking about the noise when paired with a different brand body. There is no comparison here. Also, very smooth zoom and focus. No slop or play in any part of the lens. In fact the zoom is smoother than the 16-50 which I did not like because of the small zoom ring, and the "hesitation" when the 2nd barrel engages.

nakey:I honestly believe that if you already own this Tamron 17-50, you would be wasting your money buying the DA* 16-50. IMO, the SDM is not worth it. The only reason I could possibly imagine is if you plan on using the lens in the pouring rain. Save your money and put it down on a DA* 50-135, or something else where you already don't have an arguably superior lens.
06-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #25

None of the problems then?

None of the problems with BF/FF issues and underexposure that some other users have reported?

I had this lens on my wish list before it was even available in a Pentax mount. Now that I've got the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 there's probably no need for it though it contnues to interest me.

While your outdoor shots - taken at the magnificent resolution of the K20D - are interesting, interior low-light shots are where I'm most surious about this lens. I'm particularly interested in how distortion presents itself on the short end.
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clones123 Quote
None of the problems with BF/FF issues and underexposure that some other users have reported?

I had this lens on my wish list before it was even available in a Pentax mount. Now that I've got the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 there's probably no need for it though it contnues to interest me.

While your outdoor shots - taken at the magnificent resolution of the K20D - are interesting, interior low-light shots are where I'm most surious about this lens. I'm particularly interested in how distortion presents itself on the short end.
No BF/FF issues here. Also, exposures seem consistent with my other lenses. In terms of distortion, you can probably see in the 4 17mm shots that distortion is minimal. Taking pictures of brick walls, the distortion of my Tamron, is less than my 16-50, but there is a 1mm difference in the FL.

I haven't taken a lot of low light pictures with this lens yet, but basically what you want to know there is how good is the f2.8 performance of the lens. That is why I shot the outdoor shots of very detailed subjects in bright light, at the worst case (f2.8) where you can look for vingnetting, resolution problems, distortion, and CA. Testing under darker conditions only masks these issues. In fact it was outdoor shooting that finally clued me in to the problems with my 16-50. Also "bokeh" due to large aperture shooting indoors, or with close subjects can mask lens sharpness issues like decentering! Testing under darker conditions would mainly show the camera/sensor ISO performance.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 06-06-2008 at 12:29 PM.
06-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

That lens looks like a potential winner. One definitive test - AF speed and accuracy in dim tungsten light. It's the one area where my 16-50 is challenged (as are several of my other lenses, including the FA 50 1.4)

But based on those shots, I'd say IQ outdoors looks excellent. As long as QC issues don't surface, I'd say that's a great alternative to the 16-50.

06-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #28

That's Virginia/North Carolina architecture right there! Not that I would actually know anything about it, I'm just guessing.
06-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
That's Virginia/North Carolina architecture right there! Not that I would actually know anything about it, I'm just guessing.
Actually it is Georgian architecture, but thanks for playing!
Georgian architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 06-06-2008 at 11:53 PM.
06-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

PentaxPoke,
thanks for the sample pictures of this lens.

I'm currently considering this lens also.
Do you mind posting some other sample of this lens in a very dim room / very low light condition?

Thanks,