Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are 4 Sigma lenses in my cupboard, 70-300 and 18-250 along with the previous two mentioned. If every member of the forum owned 4 Sigma lenses, I don't think we'd be having this problem. Y'all need to get off your butts and spend some money....
I have a 150-500, which obviously makes enough money for Sigma to continue to manufacture. And it will continue to do so because it costs 1/3 what the 150-450 is going to cost. The only question is whether a $800 telephoto fits Sigma's "Global Vision" or not. They have said repeatedly that the 150-600 is not getting the K-mount.

04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Maybe there was more behind the explanation from the Sigma executive but the logic as stated is a self-fulfilling one. You won't sell a single lens in a mount unless you first produce it.
Sure, but one can get estimate based on the sale of other lenses. For example, Sigma knows how many 17-50 are sold. If a given speciality lens sells at, let say, a volume of 5% of the 17-50 in Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts, you can expect that the sales would be in the same ballpark with K-mount. If the result is a number of units largely below the minimum required, you can make a pretty safe bet that this lens would not be profitable to put in production for K-mount.
04-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by CarlJF
A few months ago, I've read an interview with a Sigma executive who was giving the same reasons for not releasing K-mount lenses. There's a minimum number of units that has to be made in a production batch to make economical sense. For K-mount, this minimal amount isn't achieved outside of best sellers - like 17-50 zooms. If they decided to produce smaller batches for K-mount, the fixed expense for retooling the production line (needed because of the diaphragm issue explained in the original post) would be spread on a lower number of units, leading to an uncompetitive retail cost. On the other hand, if they make a normal batch, they will have to keep inventory for a long time, also leading to an uncompetitive retail cost.

Simply put, to sell a lens at a target retail price, Sigma needs to manufacture a minimum number of units and sell them inside a given timeline. Unfortunately, K-mount falls short on one or the other of these criteria. And this economic logic is the same for all third party manufacturers.

For the foreseeable future, the only way we could see these lenses in K-mount would be that Pentax buy a whole custom batch, rebadge them, and sell them under the Pentax name at a much higher price tag than the Sigma branded one.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Maybe there was more behind the explanation from the Sigma executive but the logic as stated is a self-fulfilling one. You won't sell a single lens in a mount unless you first produce it.
You missed the most important part of Carl's post. There has to be a sweet spot of projected sales to make any lens (or ANYTHING) economical to produce. As he pointed out if projected sales are low then it will drive product cost up to set up a line for a limited production run making the retail cost prohibitively high for the consumer. If they make a larger production run to lower production costs but then have a large amount of product taking up space in a warehouse, that's not free. That product will be depreciated more and more the longer it sits making for lower margins once it does finally move. That's just business accounting. Ultimately they are in business to make money. As someone else pointed out - its not personal against Pentax, just business.
04-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Sure, but one can get estimate based on the sale of other lenses. For example, Sigma knows how many 17-50 are sold. If a given speciality lens sells at, let say, a volume of 5% of the 17-50 in Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts, you can expect that the sales would be in the same ballpark with K-mount. If the result is a number of units largely below the minimum required, you can make a pretty safe bet that this lens would not be profitable to put in production for K-mount.
Carl, yes I'm well aware of that idea of projecting K-mount lens sales from Canon and Nikon mount sales. However, it doesn't mesh well with the statement (unless I misunderstood) that Sigma has *no* plans to produce Global Vision lenses in K-mount. That seems to me that it has nothing to do with projections based off of Canon and Nikon mount sales.

04-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

They could always stop the Sigma DSLR line and make that factory space available for Pentax mount.
I'm sure they sell even less of those cameras than they do Pentax mount teles
04-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
Pentax has, in monumental fashion, "screwed the pooch" in their marketing effort. I say "monumental" because, now that I have fallen in love with their cameras and lenses- new and old- I am truly baffled by the fact that they have been unable to promote such fine products. In size, quality of construction, features, quality of image....Pentax is second to no other producer; and yet, the majority of camera users seem to shun Pentax. Unless you are burried in Nikon or Canon lenses, there is no reason to prefer the Canon or Nikon competitors to the K5 or K3 cameras.

Rant Mode:

I just purchased a used LX film camera. While I have not taken any photos with it, I have been comparing it to my first camera- still in my posession- a Canon F1. Given the fact that old film cameras are nothing more than a box that holds film and lenses, I think it fair to compare the LX and F1 without benefit of photographs. This LX is superior to the F1 in virtually every way. The LX is lighter, quiter, feels better in hand, and is smaller. While I cannot testify that the LX has seen the abuse the F1 has, it does look like it has been well used, so I assume it is every bit as rugged as the F1. Pentax would have almost have had to try to sell less of these, than Canon sold F1 cameras.

Rant mode off:

I recall a year or so ago, a very popular, and well respected, moderator of a general photography BLOG was so frustrated by the way he was treated by Pentax (related to compensation Pentax paid him for ad space on his BLOG) that he felt compellled to write about it in his BLOG, and mention Pentax by name. This administrator, prior to this problem, could have been considered a great ambasador for Pentax. Now, unless this financial dispute was over a substantial amount of money- and I did not get the impression that it was-, Pentax' behavior in this matter can only be viewed as incredibly obstinant.....To the point of stupidity. Dare I say.

I am impressed by the way Sigma responsed to the OP. In fact, the veracity of the Sigma response is such that I have to view Sigma as being at the opposite end of the marketing spectrum as Pentax. Small wonder Sigma doesn't foresee Pentax has having a significant role in their future. It is a shame. Both Pentax and Sigma make fine products. It probably bothers the heads of Sigma as much as it bothers us.
04-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
They could always stop the Sigma DSLR line and make that factory space available for Pentax mount.
But Foveon is Sigma's hobby.
04-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Basically, what I gathered from that is they can sell all the Nikon/Canon lenses they can turn out of their factory, mostly to the APS-c formats. He also talked about Sony, but they seem to be slipping behind Pentax in the dSLR realm.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Crew1 > kick <Sigma Hysterical