Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Email Conversation with Sigma about lens Conversion and Future Lenses in Pentax Mount

Had an interesting little email conversation with Sigma today. I must say I was impresed with the response time from my first question sent last night the them getting back to me first thing thismorning followed my the rest of our conversation. I though someone else might find their last email interesting.

Me:
Wondering if its possible and what the cost to get a 70-200 f2.8 EXDG OS HSM in Pentax mount would be? I know they are discontinued but I've heard they can be custom ordered or a change mount process?

Paul from Sigma:
Unfortunately the lens has been discontinued and we no longer have any inventory on it. The APO 70-200mm F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens is not part of our “Global Vision” lens line and cannot have the mount converted, should you locate one in a different lens mount we cannot convert it to the Pentax K/AF mount for you.

Me:
Does this mean that other lens that are in the “Global Vision” lens line in non-Pentax mount can be converted to Pentax by Sigma? What is the cost of this?

Paul from Sigma:
If the lens is initially offered in the Pentax mount it can be converted from another lens mount to the Pentax mount. If the lens is not initially offered on the Pentax mount it cannot be converted to the Pentax lens mount. The service costs between $170 and $300 and takes approximately 6 weeks.

Me:
Why can’t the APO 70-200mm F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens be converted to Pentax if originally offered in Pentax? Just because it doesn’t follow your latest marketing scheme? These are readily available in other mounts if only I could have it converted. I have no problem purchasing the lens and sending to Sigma for conversion if you are out of stock.

Paul from Sigma:
The lens cannot be converted because Pentax uses a mechanical Diaphragm actuating lever which requires a specific main barrel, the part everything is attached to. Nikon uses the same system but the mount design is from 1958 and not updateable to the Pentax K/AF mount, the Nikon main Barrel is too narrow for the Pentax Diaphragm. Sony as well uses the diaphragm actuating lever but Sony’s mount was created in 1982 and uses a totally different type of electronics which cannot be retrofitted with the 9 year older Pentax design. Converting the lens cannot be done!
The Sigma “Global Vision” lens line is far from being a “Marketing Scheme” , in fact I wish marketing actually understood the product line! A “Global Vision” lens brings many new and distinct features to the market and end user. The lenses are completely new in design and a common approach to manufacturing. We can now convert a lens from Nikon to canon, Pentax to Sony, Sony the Nikon etc. as long as we are manufacturing the lens originally and the parts are available. In addition the USB dock allows you to write custom programs for several of the lenses and Adjust the AF Data of the lens in order to accommodate any variation in your cameras viewfinder focusing system.
It is unfortunate the position Pentax users find themselves in, as nice as the Pentax DSLR cameras are they lack sufficient market share to command any lenses in the initial product runs. Lenses such as the APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM sell far too slowly, it is really a matter of economics and limited factory space. The Sigma Corp. manufactures every product we sell in our factory in Japan, no outsourcing at all, and must put the factory space to the best possible use.

Me:
Thanks for the help Paul, I completely understand Sigma’s position. It is unfortunate that I have to constantly consider leaving one of if not the best crop bodies on the market because of lack of market share due to company mismanagement over last few decades. Even with a FF coming I don’t see how Ricoh can gain a better share fast enough to convince third party lens manufactures to start making all there lenses for Pentax again. What are Sigma’s thought on the Pentax FF which is supposed to come out later this year with limited native lens at launch?

Paul from Sigma:
At the present time future Pentax cameras aren’t really a consideration of ours, Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung seems to be feeding on the allegiance of long time loyal users with their own supply of lenses from previous cameras. As you I really don’t see how they can force body after body on their users without the support of a significant lens line. The 24x36mm sensor can yield superior images but not to the extent that everyone seems to think as most final prints aren’t large enough to truly benefit from the increase in sensor size. I truly feel that the so called “Full Frame” 24x36mm sensor is merely a selling device for manufacturers and not of much value at all.

04-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That"s gonna hurt some egos...

Thanks for sharing!
04-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gastch Quote
Had an interesting little email conversation with Sigma today. I must say I was impresed with the response time from my first question sent last night the them getting back to me first thing thismorning followed my the rest of our conversation. I though someone else might find their last email interesting.
FYI: Paul at Sigma's service dept. in NY is probably the most technically knowledgeable person they have outside of Aizu, and among the best in the industry. He's also a longtime photographer, and a great guy. Sigma is lucky to have him!

Ask a similar technical question to Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, etc. and you will get a "Sorry, we cannot say at this time" over and over until you give up emailing or calling them. (That includes asking when your 1Ds and 70-200L will be coming back from service! God, Canon USA was a PITA.)
04-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That was a very articulate reply from Sigma. It's sad how 3rd party lens support for K-mount has all but vanished over the past decade or so. Pentax really needs 3rd party manufacturer support, even more than Canon/Nikon, because by itself Pentax just doesn't seem to have the resources to continually develop multiple new lenses simultaneously, particularly now with both APS and FF to support.

04-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gastch Quote
I truly feel that the so called “Full Frame” 24x36mm sensor is merely a selling device for manufacturers and not of much value at all.
Ouch....................
04-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope there is an actual marketing plan to grow market share, but I will believe it when I see it. I also hope to see really improved DR and ISO in the FF, but again I will have to see it. I would like to see Ricoh release a groundbreaking camera at a good price, but again I have a feeling it will be an also ran, really good, but not outstanding.
04-02-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If f/1.8 is never an advantage over f/2.8, for example, then true! :)

QuoteQuote:
I truly feel that the so called “Full Frame” 24x36mm sensor is merely a selling device for manufacturers and not of much value at all.
This ^ is literally like saying, for example, "I feel f/1.8 lenses are merely a selling device for manufacturers and not of much value at all over f/2.8 lenses.." And this from a company who made the 18-35 f/1.8 to try to match "FF output in the standard zoom space". I think one hand is acting independently from the other a bit here.

I'm certain the quote will server as a warm, welcoming fire for aps-c apologists for months or years to come, though

04-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This ^ is literally like saying, for example, "I feel f/1.8 lenses are merely a selling device for manufacturers and not of much value at all over f/2.8 lenses.." And this from a company who made the 18-35 f/1.8 to try to match "FF output in the standard zoom space". I think one hand is acting independently from the other a bit here.

I'm certain the quote will server as a warm, welcoming fire for aps-c apologists for months or years to come, though

Oooh, I think maybe Jay doesn't agree.
04-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Really now....lol. Its time for a beer or three !
So they kissy assed up to Nikon and now we pay for that ???.....lol. Classic !
So we aren't given consideration ? Good....I give them none either.
We have the longest running mount in the market and they Crap on us from the heights of obtuse reasoning....lol.
Im glad I own nothing from them and based on this never will...not even APS-C !
Im glad they were straight forth though so we know where they stand , and also I believe he is correct stating that FF wouldn't offer much to the average photographer over APS-C.....very true.....but then again why wouldn't they say that as Pentax FF "wont" be supported from them ???
"Pentax is Doomed"......lol.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-02-2015 at 07:16 PM.
04-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

it is a pity, if I'm not mistaken Zeiss was the first to
discontinuing lens Pentax after tamrom and now reducing Sigma
significantly their lenses. I would like to see tamron 15 30 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 etc.
04-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
That was a very articulate reply from Sigma. It's sad how 3rd party lens support for K-mount has all but vanished over the past decade or so. Pentax really needs 3rd party manufacturer support, even more than Canon/Nikon, because by itself Pentax just doesn't seem to have the resources to continually develop multiple new lenses simultaneously, particularly now with both APS and FF to support.
We do have Samyang ? I know its not all that some of us want but at least its something....right ? I guess we might regress back to the dark ages of manual focus and manual mode. Thank God we have something to still hope for

04-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
So we aren't given consideration ? Good....I give them none either. We have the longest running mount in the market and they Crap on us from the heights of obtuse reasoning....lol. Im glad I own nothing from them and based on this never will...not even APS-C ! Im glad they were straight forth though so we know where they stand
Maybe a little harsh. It is just economics, if the factory runs all day making lenses for Nikon and Canon mounts why bother with the little guys? If Pentax sales grow they will release lenses for Pentax, just reality. And decisions like de-emphasizing Pentax are strategic ones so once that decision is made it will be a long time before it is reversed. They would have in place 3 and 5 year plans, and Pentax is not on them. When they update the plan they will look at the numbers and re-do the plan if needed. They have nothing against Pentax, it is just numbers.
04-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe a little harsh. It is just economics, if the factory runs all day making lenses for Nikon and Canon mounts why bother with the little guys? If Pentax sales grow they will release lenses for Pentax, just reality. And decisions like de-emphasizing Pentax are strategic ones so once that decision is made it will be a long time before it is reversed. They would have in place 3 and 5 year plans, and Pentax is not on them. When they update the plan they will look at the numbers and re-do the plan if needed. They have nothing against Pentax, it is just numbers.
I know your right and do understand. You know who I blame for our No-Name reputation ? PENTAX !
What manufacturing corporation would go with Pentax for what has transpired in the last dozen plus years or so ? I sure wouldn't until they turn the ship and get it headed in hopefully the right direction its going in now.....but is it too little too late ? Im afraid we will find out in the next few years.....for the better or for the worse.
04-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

I agree with you, unfortunately lenses Pentax sales are not profitable time spent to produce lenses Pentax Sigma can produzir lenses Canon Nikon which has its guaranteed sale.
04-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
I agree with you, unfortunately lenses Pentax sales are not profitable time spent to produce lenses Pentax Sigma can produzir lenses Canon Nikon which has its guaranteed sale.
I know....Its sad.... really sad.
I have always considered Pentax as a quality camera that exudes photographic fundamentalism . I guess it still is .....Hope it stays that way. We just always seem to be at the bottom of the wave.....always caught in the trough and never riding the top ! And when we do catch a good ride .... nobody seems to notice except us !
I don't know exactly why...but this post just has me really aggravated by their remarks. Makes me want to throw my one old mint Sigma 21-35mm lens down the road and cuss and spit ! I no longer look at it with loving eyes.....lol

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-02-2015 at 08:07 PM.