Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Oh, wait.... K 55 1.8, not DA* 55!!!
Gotcha.
Pretty funny, and yet I'm hating you at the same time ;P

06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Forum Member

Good one!

I must say I too was very disappointed with the bokeh in these, but was entirely fooled. My thoughts were along the lines of "Way to go, Pentax. Once again you've taken a classic design and tweaked it for sharpness and contrast at the expense of bokeh! This is almost as bad as what they did to the FA 20 2.8" I thought the lack of critical sharpness likely had more to do with technique and processing than the lens, as is so often the case on these forums.

Knowing now what lens it really was, I'm very impressed with the color rendering. That alone really had me convinced this was a very modern lens. I'm sure you increased the contrast significantly in post processing, so that would explain that, correct?

-Matt
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Impressive resolution as you say, I enjoyed the shots. I did wonder though right away how you'de gotten a copy as I expected attribution to the shots to lead things off. I was semi-prepared for the let down then, but... cheap tricks! You could have simply said - Pentax 55mm, first shots! Then it would have been fair.

The fact that others link though, lol.
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, That first shot and the dandeliions are crops - the K 55 1.8 can't focus that
close natively. But the detail retained after crop speaks to the resolving power of
the lens.

Do I detect some cranky viewers? Sorry it wasn't really the DA*
You made me laugh, so it's all good The bokeh looks a bit weird, wouldn't you agree? Or maybe it was windy...

I have to say, I love the shot of the dandelions.

06-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Good one!

... I thought the lack of critical sharpness likely had more to do with technique and processing than the lens, as is so often the case on these forums.

<slap> Hey!

Seriously though, 'lack of critical sharpness' was because every one of those but one was taken
wide open or stopped down one.

QuoteQuote:
Knowing now what lens it really was, I'm very impressed with the color rendering. That alone really had me convinced this was a very modern lens. I'm sure you increased the contrast significantly in post processing, so that would explain that, correct?

-Matt

Yes, contrast was tweaked in a couple (jpegs/picasa). I find that contrast is usually about
the only thing I need to change with this lens, and usually only when the natural light
wasn't ideal. But that didn't really affect the colors that much, I mostly used it in a sort
of volumetric fill light capacity.

I don't know if I'd say that a 'modern' lens necessarily has any better color
or contrast than the multicoated K's - in fact, I've been finding that these
two K's I own and others I've tried have stellar color rendition.

06-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'll bet you anything you want that it's better than the DA* 55mm will be.
02-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'll bet you anything you want that it's better than the DA* 55mm will be.
And I bet that Jay is a better photographer and judge of lenses than you give him credit for.

02-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
Igilligan

I can't believe I fell for this twice....

"fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... we won't get fooled again" George Bush Jr
02-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And I bet that Jay is a better photographer and judge of lenses than you give him credit for.

Resurrecting necro threads, aren't we?
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I can't believe I fell for this twice....
I know - me too . I was even thinking, "How does he have flowers right now? He must have a greenhouse." That was my main concern, figuring out why they weren't just pictures of snow covered snow - clearly the new lens was performing well in his hands (as is to be expected).

Ridiculous zombie threads lately (must be the improved search tools Adam implemented).
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I guess we are. Not sure what the problem is there. The issue is topical now. I followed a link made in the last 24 hours.
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster

...I guess we are. Not sure what the problem is there. The issue is topical now. I followed a link made in the last 24 hours.
Link came from here, no magical search powers.

It would be nice to compare the DA* directly against the K 55 1.8 and Nokton 55 1.4, though. If it holds up well against the Nokton and surpasses the K, it's a very, very good lens when you add AF, SDM & WS in to the mix.

02-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Link came from here, no magical search powers.

It would be nice to compare the DA* directly against the K 55 1.8 and Nokton 55 1.4, though. If it holds up well against the Nokton and surpasses the K, it's a very, very good lens when you add AF, SDM & WS in to the mix.
Is the K 55/1.8 a typo and did you mean the K 55/1.4?
02-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #29
mer

nice man these are some really good pictures and you demonstrate how good this lens can be . I love the rendering it's something unique . The rendering can be amazing !

Nice ! I will buy it
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Is the K 55/1.8 a typo and did you mean the K 55/1.4?
No typo, I have the K 55 1.8. I don't think there is a K 55 1.4, only a K 50 1.4 and 55 1.8 and 2.