Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 02:57 AM   #1

Tamron 60b disassembly instructions / service manuals

I`ve got a Tamron SP 300/2.8 LD IF ( Adaptall-2 model 60b ) from EBay. It is quite nice lens but there is one moment of which I am worried about.

It has some specs at a rear group of lenses. Some of that specs looks like dried stains around the border of the lenses. And there is one looks like some small piece of a fungus. Fortunately that all issues are not affecting on the photo. But I would like to clean up the lens to prevent fungus growth (if it is a fungus).

A problem is that I need to get in to the lenses behind of the aperture blades. That means I will need to disassemble a lens tail including aperture mechanism. I would like not to do that untill I will definitely know that it will help. So I need to find some instructions or service manuals for any adaptall-2 SP lenses (I believe they have similar disassembling sequences). May be someone has experience of cleaning such lens and may advise where to start?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by andreybs; 04-03-2015 at 03:52 AM.
04-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exposure to UV light should be enough to kill the fungi, as a stop-gap solution.
You could try leaving the lens in direct sunlight or using a UV lamp (EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION AS UVs ARE DANGEROUS FOR EYESIGHT) as has been previously tried by another forum member here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/278966-can-...-safe-use.html

I'm not to be held responsible if you try and fry your retinas...
04-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Exposure to UV light should be enough to kill the fungi, as a stop-gap solution.
That was the first I have done. I`ve used common household UV irradiator (for disinfecting the room space) for a 30 minutes. The light was sent directly into the rear lens. But you see there are at least 3 reflecting surfaces with multi-coatings. Do you think UV rays might kill fungi in such case?
04-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry about a few spots! Not likely to have any effect on IQ. Snap away. With correct storage don't worry about it growing - it wont.

Here in UK I would recommend The Lens Doctor for a buffing up of a quality adaptall like the 60B. In Russia .. well ???

04-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
With correct storage don't worry about it growing - it wont.
Yes, I know that dry storing conditions will not allow fungi grow up. But when used in a wild nature there are no guarantees that lens will be used in a dry conditions. That is the point.

I have some experience in repairing the lenses including cleaning the lenses from fungi. Disassembling of the lens is not a problem when you have special tools and knowing how use them. So if I would find a service manual or instructions for a lens then It would be easy to remove fungi by myself. Honestly I do not trust to a service center when repairing the old lenses.
04-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do let me know how you get on Andrey, my 60B needs a bit of tlc as well (stiff aperture after getting a knock).
04-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
stiff aperture after getting a knock
Aperture lever is sticking or its blades do not return to the closed position? I suppose you are using AE mode...

04-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, just the movement of the aperture ring. The iris is fine, and works fine with PKA mount. Problem is on my mirrorless cameras, moving the ring by hand.
04-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
And UV won't get rid of any debris already in the lens.
You right. I`ve decided to postpone cleaning procedures till fungi will grow (if they will). Of course I will store a lens in a dry place. When I will disassemble it I will need your photos. Dropped email in PM. Thanks.