Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Ricoh Rikenon 1:2 50mm - different versions?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I am looking for this lense but I see different versions on ebay.
What's the differences?
I see ones with the following writings:
"AUTO RIKENON 1:2 f=50mm "serial number" LENS JAPAN"
"RIKENON 1:2 50mm RICOH LENS MADE IN JAPAN 52" and I found basically the same writing plus a "P" in green.
Are these different lenses?
Thanks for any input!

04-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The is a thread about this lens. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/65265-xr-ri...ens-claim.html

When it has a P, it has a Program mode. (Light metering). This lens (with P) could get stuck on a pentax body because of a conflict with the AF screw.
04-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The is a thread about this lens. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/65265-xr-ri...ens-claim.html

When it has a P, it has a Program mode. (Light metering). This lens (with P) could get stuck on a pentax body because of a conflict with the AF screw.
Not if it has the rounded head, spring loaded pin.
04-04-2015, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are 5 different versions of the Rikenon lenses.

The XR, XR S, XR L, plain Rikenon and Rikenon P.

The P version has the 'Ricoh Pin' for auto aperture modes on certain Ricoh SLRs. The XR line has the best build quality and supposedly better optics. The XR S series had a lower quality build, and the XR L series are a plastic body version of the XRs. Optically the P is supposed to be similar to the XR.

04-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have both the xr and the xr L and i find that the xr has beter contrast and sharpness. Build quality is also superior to the L. Much smoother focus.

Last edited by D1N0; 04-04-2015 at 08:58 AM.
04-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
ok, thanks
I have a GH4 and a M42 adapter
which version of the lense should I try to get?
04-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You need a PK-adapter for these lenses. There are older versions of the lens that are M42, but then you might as well get a super-Takumar 55mm F1.8 I don't think they made plastic lenses in the m42 era so a m42 Rikenon should be alright.

04-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olli66 Quote
ok, thanks
I have a GH4 and a M42 adapter
which version of the lense should I try to get?
I have all of them. I personally believe the Ricoh Rikenon (No "XR" , "P" or "L" , designation) 50mm 2.0 is the sharpest of the 2.0 variety !
04-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
I was thinking of this adapter for my mft GH4: https://www.fotodioxpro.com/vizelex-nd-throttle-adapter-m42-screw-lens-to-mi...nd-filter.html
I love the idea of having the ND filter integrated
the attached picture shows the lense that caught my attention but that one I can't find on ebay
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
04-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you use M42 mount Rikenon get the M42 to PK adapter. They run less than $10 on Ebay from USA and about $4 from China. Get the flush mount adapter so you maintain infinity focus.......Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-M42-42mm-Screw-to-PK-K-Mount-Adapter-Lens-Rin...item2ec885498a

---------- Post added 04-05-15 at 02:57 AM ----------

I was thinking of this adapter for my mft GH4: https://www.fotodioxpro.com/vizelex-nd-throttle-adapter-m42-screw-lens-to-mi...nd-filter.html
I love the idea of having the ND filter integrated
the attached picture shows the lense that caught my attention but that one I can't find on ebay
You will loose infinity focus with this adapter that you linked above !
Better to just buy an appropriate adapter and a ND filter. I assume your using a Pentax PK mount camera ? Ooops....I see you have a GH4.....I cant help but maybe someone else will chime in.
BTW.....welcome to the forum !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-04-2015 at 12:00 PM.
04-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback guys
and sorry for just "poppin" in without introduction ;-)
name is Olli, I am from Germany, I do concert videos for a living

would be glad someone could tell me exactly which version of the lense and adapter will work with my GH4
thanks, good night (bedtime in Germany now)
04-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks for the feedback guys
and sorry for just "poppin" in without introduction ;-)
name is Olli, I am from Germany, I do concert videos for a living

would be glad someone could tell me exactly which version of the lense and adapter will work with my GH4
thanks, good night (bedtime in Germany now)
I may be wrong on this but believe the adapter with a GH4 is going to loose infinity focus no matter what you use. The Panasonic mount is smaller and proprietary to them. I misunderstood the first part of your post....sorry.
I only know the Pentax and Ricoh mounts so cant offer any advice at all.
04-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I may be wrong on this but believe the adapter with a GH4 is going to loose infinity focus no matter what you use. The Panasonic mount is smaller and proprietary to them. I misunderstood the first part of your post....sorry.
I only know the Pentax and Ricoh mounts so cant offer any advice at all.
No, you don't lose infinity focus. If the focal flange distance of the camera is shorter than the focal flange distance of the lens you can add distance with the adapter. So it is very easy to make an adapter for a m4/3 camera as the focal flange distance is only 19.25mm. The focal flange distance of the K-mount is 45.46mm. So the adapter can be 26.21mm thick. Same thing with M42.

What you lose is any sort of lens automation. Not an issue with a Ricoh lens as it is plain K-mount anyway.

To the OP. If you get the M42 adapter you will have to get M42 lenses. K-mount lenses can't be adapted to M42, but M42 lenses can be adapted to K-mount with a cheap adapter.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-05-2015 at 07:07 AM.
04-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here is one for PK mount so I guess Infinity isn't lost on the GH4....link
http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/product.php?id_product=58
The register distance is much less on the GH4 so it should work.
If you want M42 an adapter that is flush can be added to this for manual mode.

---------- Post added 04-05-15 at 10:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No, you don't lose infinity focus. If the focal flange distance of the camera is shorter than the focal flange distance of the lens you can add distance with the adapter. So it is very easy to make an adapter for a m4/3 camera as the focal flange distance is only 19.25mm. The focal flange distance of the K-mount is 45.46mm. So the adapter can be 26.21mm thick. Same thing with M42.

What you lose is any sort of lens automation. Not an issue with a Ricoh lens as it is plain K-mount anyway.

To the OP. If you get the M42 adapter you will have to get M42 lenses. K-mount lenses can't be adapted to M42, but M42 lenses can be adapted to K-mount with a cheap adapter.
Thanks Boriscleto....I had to go sort all this out. Understand completely now that I did some research after I opened my big mouth....lol.
Being a Pentax shooter I made an assumption that was wrong when I saw that huge adapter.