Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
To keep things faster, I left the lens on the belt pouches un-caped and mount down.
Yeah I just discovered that there are some lens size kind of bags you can have on shoulder or attached to a belt, it makes possible to swap from standard zoom to tele without having a table. Same technique as described by Stevebrot, with help of a lens pouch.

04-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

All of these rely on lens caps to keep front scratching the front element/filter... I store my lenses with lens caps, but I don't bother bringing caps with me when Im out shooting. too much trouble. And I can ever recall seeing a professional that took lens caps on and off during a shoot like that..... also all of these techniques are pretty much void if you are shooting a lens with a hood lest you risk holding it by the hood.
04-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

One thing that could help and I keep intending to do it but haven't yet -- put a little dot of Sugru (it's sort of like silly putty that hardens into rubber when it's exposed to air for a while) at the base of each lens, marking where the red dot is. I spend too much time screwing around with rotating the lens and trying to get it to drop in.
04-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No one in these videos appear to use lens hoods. Am I the weird one for using them?

04-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

OK, now...

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Some of us may wonder how to change lenses on our DSLR when we are on the go...

Here are links to tutorials on how to changes lenses with Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax.

- Canon (quickly...): Technique to quickly change Digital SLR Camera lenses - YouTube
- Nikon (quickly...): How to Quickly Change SLR DSLR Camera Lens Large f/2.8's! - YouTube
- Sony: How to change Lens in Sony Alpha DSLT Camera (Hindi) (1080p HD) - YouTube
- Pentax: Changing Lenses on a Pentax - YouTube

What method do you prefer ? :-)
try that with an FA*28-70 and an FA*80-200...with the lens hoods ON...

Also, unless its absolutely CRITICAL you change quickly, all of these methods are good ways of scratching up your lenses.

I put one face down on the ground, with both lens caps on.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Only change lenses in windy , dirty conditions if you don't value either the camera or the lens. You're probably not as good keeping dust out as you think you are. I did it once on a windy campsite using my jacket as a shield in a spot I thought was out of the wind. I got over 60 dust spots on my sensor. I had to create an Aperture template just to get rid of the spots. Oh and that Pentax shake/dust removal thing? The 60 dust spots changes position every time I turned the camera off and on and sometimes shake reduction moved them around. Making my templates good for only a few images. Shooting outdoors, an 18-135 is a wonderfull thing. It'll save you a world of grief.
04-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha yes..18-135 works well to keep the sensor clean !
04-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I try not to change lenses in the field, I decide before heading out what I'll need. Only have one body so what's on stays on.

+1 for 18-135 for the most practical lens in most situations.

04-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Only change lenses in windy , dirty conditions if you don't value either the camera or the lens. You're probably not as good keeping dust out as you think you are. I did it once on a windy campsite using my jacket as a shield in a spot I thought was out of the wind. I got over 60 dust spots on my sensor. I had to create an Aperture template just to get rid of the spots. Oh and that Pentax shake/dust removal thing? The 60 dust spots changes position every time I turned the camera off and on and sometimes shake reduction moved them around. Making my templates good for only a few images. Shooting outdoors, an 18-135 is a wonderfull thing. It'll save you a world of grief.
For 60 dust spots on the sensor you need the shake the whole camera :-)))
04-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

60 spots...then my favourite turn-the camera 180 deg won't work
04-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For 60 dust spots on the sensor you need the shake the whole camera :-)))
Unfortunately it was on the 4th day of a 12 day canoe trip, and I didn't bring anything to clean the sensor with, only pictures I really really wanted got PPed on that trip...

A few of the ones I did keep.... it was the lens change for this pictures that ruined my life.... but I've never felt it wasn't worth it, I've always loved the image. Taken with my *ist. Have to fix that horizon line one of these days. You know how windy it was, because you can see the white caps on the water.

OK I couldn't stand it anymore... I went back and fixed it, looking at it full size, there's still at least 60 dust spots on the sensor. I guess I just cleaned up the worst of them. It would take over an hour to get this ready for printing.

Last edited by normhead; 04-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
04-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Always carry the lollipop.
04-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. I got over 60 dust spots on my sensor.
I am amazed you actually counted the spots.

I hear your frustration. One dust spot is more than enough for me!